PDA

View Full Version : Vintage football find

kjjavic
09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to share recent vintage football photographs I recently acquired.
The first photo is a 1893 football team photo. My research pointed me towards believing that this photo is of the Saint Ambrose College/Academy football team of Iowa. I have been in touch with the school, and they think I am correct.
The second is a 1919 African American team photo with C T S and the year 19 painted on the ball. Having a Philadelphia photographer stamp, and being an all African American team, I narrowed down this one to the Cheyney Training School. CTS was the name of Cheyney State for about 10 years prior to being named Cheyney State College in about 1920.

http://www.geocities.com/buddyryanisgod/1893SAfootballphotolow.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/buddyryanisgod/Cheyney1.jpg

34swtns
09-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Awesome peeks into the past. And weren't the footballs fat back then! Thank you very much for sharing those.

slidekellyslide
09-17-2006, 05:28 PM
The St Ambrose photo looks more like high school aged kids to me. There are some rough looking kids on that team, I bet they were tough.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

kjjavic
09-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Actually now that you mention it, the athletic director at the college told me in the 1880s and 1890s Saint Ambrose was both a college and an Academy (college prep school) and that most likely teams were a combination of college age and high school age players.

kneerat
09-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Are you willing to part with the african american football photo? is it an original? thanks it is awesome.

kjjavic
09-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Hello Kneerat,

I guess I would be willing to part with it although it is a favorite football photo of mine. It is definetly original. As you can see in the photo, it has a minor tear at the lower right corner. Also, seen in the photo, is a very small photo of 2 players and 1 African american gentleman between them. Email me at kjjavic@aol.com, I could possibly sell or trade it if you have something I might be interested in.

thanks
Keith