PDA

View Full Version : Why I buy direct...

Shipp_96
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I usually buy my game worn gear directly from the league, team, school or a reliable source (like Jo Sports, Mei Gray, etc...). Recently, a guy on ebay had some great deals, and after checking them over with my friends who are both collectors and dealers, I was given the green light on buying these items. All were legit and are excellent additions to my collection.

So this guy and I are building a decent buyer/seller relationship, and he offers me a rare jersey via email. But he wants to go off of ebay to avoid fees (I can relate, but a bit of a red flag). I agree, but then he wants to do Paypal as a gift (another red flag). After reading threads on here about that, I agree to use Paypal but as a legitimate transaction (TG I did). I get the jersey fine, but the LOA from the school is missing (red flag # 3). When I tell my friends about it (the ones that recommended I buy his other items) they instantly ask for pictures.

My buddy is personal friends with the player who wore the jersey I purchased ( I know this as I have met the player thru him and bought a pair of worn cleats directly from the player). They both tell me great game worn jersey, but problem is he never wore that one and the rare patch is not accurate to the jersey, since he sold it personally to a college friend who still owns it.

So, I contact the seller who I was building this "trusting" relationship with and advise him of what I have found out. I write a diplomatic and apologetic email and offer a trade for something else, or for him to give me a slight refund and I'll have the patch professionally removed.

He writes me back a harsh, p!ssy and defensive email back filled with profanity. MY question is why are you this upset if you thought you sold me something legitimate? I never once accused him of lying or doctoring the jersey, but told him there was an excellent chance it was sold to him that way. He sure was defensive though, and now wants to see the player with the real jersey and a recent publication? WTF??? My buddy may get the player to write that it's not his to me (as this is a player that gets PO'd when people sell knock offs as his), but come on!

I question if I report this to Paypal (since I thankfully have buyers protection) will I get a full refund? Or will he win since he can argue he legitimately purchased it and believes it to be real?

Needless to say, he has screwed himself out of any other purchases from me for being a shady acting @ss over this. But I feel ill as this is my first bad purchase, even though (again) it is a legit game worn jersey minus the patch and incorrect player.

Looking for any advice or suggestions on how to proceed with my case to Paypal, since the seller is clearly uncooperative at this point.

WadeInBmore
09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
...again, not having any experience with paypal, I would think that if the transaction was for a jersey WITH LOA from the school and it didn't come with such, then the item would be returned not as described or promised...misrepresentation of the player aside. My .02 for what its worth.

jppopma
09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
It could be that the jersey was used in multiple years and the patch was added later. Regardless, that does not excuse the sellers attitude at all. Paypal should have you covered since they are very easy on returns (especially if not as described). Good luck.

schillingfan
09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
PayPal will quickly side with you.

ncbadges
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
PayPal will quickly side with you.

Agreed...paypal will take care of you.

ncb

Lokee
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
It will be up to you to prove your case with PayPal. People think it is cut and dry but PayPal has been known to not always side with buyers. Gather your evidence and be thorough. Goodluck

Flamechicken
09-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Another option is if you used your credit card through Paypal. Many card companies will cover charges on items that you purchase that aren't accurately described or were purposefully misleading.

Shipp_96
09-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Another option is if you used your credit card through Paypal. Many card companies will cover charges on items that you purchase that aren't accurately described or were purposefully misleading.

Unfortunately, I paid thru my bank account (cash) via Paypal, so it's hard to dispute that.

I also appreciate everyone's input. I am waiting to hear back from my friend to see if the player is willingly to give me an email or something that furthers the case, then I am going to submit my claim. I want to have all my information before opening it and not give this jerk any loopholes to keep my hard earned cash. No matter how sweet the deal seems next time, I am sticking with reliable sources from now on for game worn gear.

emann
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Did you do the transaction off ebay? If so, Paypal might not side with you. I had a case closed almost instantly when I disputed as an "item not as described". Paypal claimed in responses to me (both via email and phone) that they don't get involved in disputes between private parties off ebay and their buyer's protection doesn't apply. Basically, they'll defend a buyer if the item isn't received, but they don't get involved in disputes over authenticity, etc.

I was shocked, but it sort of makes sense: There are just too many variables. When it's ebay, they're realy just protecting the "ebay brand" by making sure their sellers act honorably when using the service, making ebay a safe place to shop. That isn't Paypal's job or concern in private transactions, they're just a conduit for the money to exchange hands.

I'd suggest trying to work this out with the seller. I'd also see if you could call Paypal and discuss this issue with a rep first and get answers prior to opening a case. If you open a case and they decide against you, that's it, case permanently closed (as I found out).

Shipp_96
09-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Did you do the transaction off ebay? If so, Paypal might not side with you. I had a case closed almost instantly when I disputed as an "item not as described". Paypal claimed in responses to me (both via email and phone) that they don't get involved in disputes between private parties off ebay and their buyer's protection doesn't apply. Basically, they'll defend a buyer if the item isn't received, but they don't get involved in disputes over authenticity, etc.

I was shocked, but it sort of makes sense: There are just too many variables. When it's ebay, they're realy just protecting the "ebay brand" by making sure their sellers act honorably when using the service, making ebay a safe place to shop. That isn't Paypal's job or concern in private transactions, they're just a conduit for the money to exchange hands.

I'd suggest trying to work this out with the seller. I'd also see if you could call Paypal and discuss this issue with a rep first and get answers prior to opening a case. If you open a case and they decide against you, that's it, case permanently closed (as I found out).

Yeah, he insisted we do it off ebay (which was a red flag to me). Now I regret it. Thank you for the head's up, I will consider calling before opening the case. The seller has made it abundantly clear he has no desire to work with me, however. If I get stuck with it, I may just eat crow and get the patch removed professionally. At least it will be an authentic game worn jersey with no misrepresentation then.