PDA

View Full Version : Market? Or asking to much?

bubbrubb25
09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey I listed my Jimmy Rollins Game Worn 2010 jersey on ebay for $600.00 and recieved 0 bids? I purchased the jersey directly from the phillies with included recepit and bag from there game used stand. I talked to the lady working she said the jersey was taken from rollins locker not right off his back so the authenticator had to list it as a game issued jersey in the data base. The jersey shows pritty good use loose threads pilling ect. wondering if 600.00 is to much for a rollins gamer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140609829988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

yanks12025
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Ebay is nothing but a joke now. I just listed a jersey that is worth around $200 and it sold for $70, two jerseys i paid $75 each sold for $20 and $26.

OaklandAsFan
09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
call it what you will but if that is the highest bids those items got then that is what the market is willing to pay for them and as such what they are "worth"

Mulligans
09-29-2011, 05:57 AM
I know that we have had this discussion many times, but I just don't feel that eBay reflects true value of any item. It's buying audience is not reflective of a group of "ready willing and able buyers".

In my experience and I have tons of supportive data where an item never even got a nibble at a low starting bid on ebay and then sold for 5 or more times the starting bid 2 months later at a major Auction house.

Having said that, our hobby is peculiar indeed......I have purchased a football Jersey for $600 only to see a near identical one sell shortly thereafter for $3000 (this happens quite a bit).... who the heck knows??

I have a gut feeling that the number of buyers and items in our hobby is almost too small to establish true market values. In comparison, the automobile market is an example where the pool of buyers set a more realistic and reoccurring value for an item.

Is your Jersey worth $600....I don't collect much BBall....but it certainly passes the "Straight face test" and would appear to be normal to me??:rolleyes:

cohibasmoker
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Hey I listed my Jimmy Rollins Game Worn 2010 jersey on ebay for $600.00 and recieved 0 bids? I purchased the jersey directly from the phillies with included recepit and bag from there game used stand. I talked to the lady working she said the jersey was taken from rollins locker not right off his back so the authenticator had to list it as a game issued jersey in the data base. The jersey shows pritty good use loose threads pilling ect. wondering if 600.00 is to much for a rollins gamer?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140609829988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I think you're the victim of the hobby. Are LOA's important? To some degree but with so many collectors basing their decision solely on a LOA, what a LOA says makes a big, big difference.

As for eBay being a joke, where else can you go? From a Buyer's position, its pretty good. I think their Buyer protection plan is terrific. From a Seller's position, it may NOT be that great. Lets NOT forget that a lot of people are out of work,the economy stinks and most of us have to limit our spending - unlike the Federal Government who continues to spend like a drunken sailor.

Just an opinion,

Jim

otismalibu
09-29-2011, 06:50 AM
In my experience and I have tons of supportive data where an item never even got a nibble at a low starting bid on ebay and then sold for 5 or more times the starting bid 2 months later at a major Auction house.

True.

But...much of the good stuff disappears from eBay before the auction is over, so we never get to see the bidders battle it out.

And...with auction houses you're not only going against your fellow bidders.

What I don't understand is why don't the auction house winners simply buy the item when it's on eBay? Is a catalog photo and a letter really worth that much? Saw a jersey on eBay for quite some time, around the 3K. No bites. Then sold at auction for over 8K. Why?

Jags Fan Dan
09-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Not to turn this into one big bang-on-ebay thread, but their fees for sellers, with paypal fees included, is probably right in line with a major auction house. I'd say if you have something worth over $100-$200 bucks, put it in an auction house.

MarinersFan34
09-29-2011, 10:28 AM
From my experience I would say that eBay gives you the largest potential pool of buyers but at the same time, a majority of those buyers want your item at a wholesale price. They will do whatever it takes to talk you down to justify their stupid offer. I had someone tell me over and over that my jersey was only "Team Issued" and couldn't be game worn because the MLB holo says it's Team Issued so his offer of $150 for an All-Star calibur player was certainly more than fair because it's just Team Issued. Forget that I've collected M's jerseys for 10+ years and know what to look for, the COA says it's Issued :rolleyes:

The armchair authenticators and diehard COA/LOA folks on there can be really tiresome but it's part of the hobby and I've learned to just let it go, or at least I try.

As for the original jersey posted, I don't know what current market is for a Rollins gamer, is it really that high? I'd bet that the high BIN coupled with the bottom line price of 6 bills might have kept people away. I'd try a BIN with Best Offer but you're bound to get the dumb $200 offers. If someone seriously wants it, they'll let you know and come with a solid offer.

Mattapan03
09-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Pretty good topic thats always up for debate. Over the past 5 years or so, ebay has turned into pretty much a flea market in my opinion. You wont have many seasoned collectors that will understand the true value of our items. About 10 years ago, you could move items on there and get a pretty good return. Now, it's practically impossible. Ebay is for buyers.

If Im trying to clear out some stuff on the cheap, maybe I'll give it a crack, but I usually try and avoid listing things on there.

Another thing to keep in mind, is the oversaturation of stuff in recent years makes it much harder to move your true gems. For example, look at how many NY Mets and Washington Redskins jersey's are up for auction on ebay. Some have been sitting there for over a year. JO Sports was charging at least $500 for common Redskins guys and now they arent even going for $150 with the rare GU patches intact

MarlinsCanesCop86
10-01-2011, 02:20 AM
There doesnt seem to be a happy medium between the sellers and buyers expectations on eBay. I've seen some jerseys sit on eBay for months with the seller relisting them over and over. The seller will leave it at the same price for months then all of a sudden there will be a large bidding war for it.

I know some sellers over value their items. There is an awesome local store to me that has thousands of game used jerseys. I have been looking at their website for a while and have visited once or twice. They are great folks but seems like most of the jerseys are 200 dollars, even for no name players from the 90s. Some have been sitting on the site for a year or more. At one point in time, the price your asking might have been a fair price but if the demand isn't there, your not going to get that much from them.

As far as eBay itself, I wouldn't consider it a good barometer of market price. To many inconsistencies between each item sold.

Baseball83
10-01-2011, 07:04 AM
I saw your posting on ebay and found it interesting. I was looking for a Rollins at the time but could not read the MLB auth number on your jersey. This may have helped with the sale. I fully understand your frustration with the market. But your price range for a Rollins gamer was on target. I think many collectors have been hurt dealing with sellers of lesser repute. I have adopted a policy with modern game used equipment that I need to know when it was used. Provenance is extremely important and you identified that in your listing. However I am unclear on the policy you stated in your listing and feel more secure with calling the Phillies directly and purchasing from a specific game.That is exactly what I did. I hope this helps you with future sales.

legaleagle92481
10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Rollins is easily worth 600 plus. The guy is a former MVP and key cog on the best team in baseball recordwise for the last several years. That being said Ebay is the land of the scavengers, people who want it beyond dirt cheap. I know from experience, I tried to sell a Revis gamer that I got directly from JO on there it had all the paperwork etc. and I paid $2,750 for it earlier this year. JO sold out of their Revis jerseys last year presumably in that price range. I posted it for $1,800 hoping for a quick sale. Not only did noone buy it but I got offers that were beyond insulting. One guy emails me and offers $700 and wants me to ship it to him for free. Yet scores of people will buy these same jerseys directly from JO this year for well over $1,800 I am sure and one recently sold on NFL Auctions for over $2,500.

Alot of the auction house buyers do not even look at Ebay. I think its a prestige thing more than anything (being able to say I got x item from the team, the company who has the exclusive jersey contract, the league or x major auction house) and people worry about scams buyer protection or not. Buyer protection does not help you if dont know what you are looking at meaning how to tell real from fake and they rely on the auction houses to do their homework for them.

bubbrubb25
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Also I want to publicly thank KYLE HESS! for helping me photomatch the Rollins jersey to a high resolution image where he had his 1,700th hit!