PDA

View Full Version : Videomatch Difficulties & My Futures Game Hat

frikativ54
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
After I bought my Futures game hat, I was thrilled to see that there was video footage of Jose Altuve being mic'd up (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=20159600&c_id=mlb&content_id=16858195) for that game. The only thing was that the conspicuous white dot that appeared by the Futures logo in the video (at 0:18) was nowhere to be found in the auction pics. When I got the hat, however, I noticed that there was a similar white dot on the other side of the hat that didn't appear in the video either.

From doing comparisons, the folds on the hat seem to indicate that the cap in the video is the cap in my possession. However, I just don't understand how the dot on the hat could have moved sides of his cap. Do players move specks of residue on their hats? Common sense, in my opinion, would be that they do nothing of the sort. Why would they care about something so mundane? Thus, I am left kind of shaking my head. Has anyone else had any similar experience with MLB.com Auctions? There were no other Astros in the Futures game, so this could not be someone else's cap.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-2.jpg

Dot on the non-logo side in the pic that appears on the logo side in the video.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-1.jpg

View of the full Jose Altuve Futures game cap.

frikativ54
09-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I was hoping to hear from some forum members regarding my cap. But anyway, to make things easier, I have taken a couple of screen shots of the video. I would appreciate any comments or stories of experiences with similar issues.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-Futures-Screenshot.jpg

Jose Altuve with the dot below the Futures game patch on the hat.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-Futures-Screenshot-2.jpg

The blank side of Altuve's cap with no dots.

How could the dot on my hat have been reversed? Have players actually moved that kind of residue from one side of a cap to another? Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Titans74
09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
One of my chief concerns, with anything labeled game used/worn, is exactly how many of each item were issued and actually worn/used. In this case, do we know with 100% certainty that the player only wore 1 cap during this game?

frikativ54
10-01-2011, 10:06 AM
One of my chief concerns, with anything labeled game used/worn, is exactly how many of each item were issued and actually worn/used. In this case, do we know with 100% certainty that the player only wore 1 cap during this game?

After taking a number of photographs of the white residue and doing a lot of comparing the hat to the video under bright light, I believe they are one and the same cap. It took a lot of comparing to establish this, but it is really hard to show all of the minute details with my camera. Additionally, I may have gotten my answer about the white circular stuff from the following: As I was taking pictures and casually sliding my hand around the hat, the white circular residue started to move. It almost completely fell off. With only a little effort, I was able to put it over on the other side of the hat, which made it match exactly. It was at this point that I concluded that the white residue was moved at some point. Who moved it? Maybe Altuve was fidgeting with his hat, maybe it was moved when the pictures were taken by MLB and then put back on the hat on the wrong side, etc. I don't know for sure. While it may be hard to see from all the pics I presented, the white stuff is the only thing different from the hat to the photographs. I do believe that this hat was worn the entire game.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-img10367619.jpg

Altuve hat from MLB.com Auctions Photo.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Altuve-Photomatch-Screenshot.jpg

Picture of Altuve wearing the hat with similar creases.

If anyone else has footage or pictures of Altuve wearing this hat, I would love to see it. I have spent a long time looking at this hat very closely, and the preceding was the best that I could do. I'd appreciate additional feedback.

joelsabi
10-15-2011, 11:04 AM
First, hats are so difficult to photo match especially if it’s a one game worn hat so I commend you for trying.

Does the circular residue have any original function for the hat that it was there in the first place? Would anyone who came in contact with the hat care enough or be aware enough to removed the white spot and/or change its position.

The only hats I was convinced were photos matched were worn for many games which gave it some distinctive mark(s) (for example, sweat stains, stitching imperfection) or were photo matched based on player writing on the outside of the hat or on the inside bill of the hat and being fortuitous to find a photographer shooting the player from an upward angle.

Folds from breaking in a hat are tricky too because a player tends to break in a hat the same way each time. Stating you found “similar folds” on the hat doesn’t sound so confident that you found a photo match. I am certain that if I break in two hats right now that the folds will look very similar if that is the word you are using.

I just never heard of someone moving something on the hat to get a photo match until your item. Any marking that is movable or removable on a hat or any game used article, for that matter, should not be considered a dependable marking for a photo match in my humble opinion. Why is it bad location for a match? It is a bad location because you yourself said that you were able to manipulate that location, showing how easily it can be done by you or for that matter any other person. It’s not very dependable and convincing for matching purposes.

The whole idea for me on a photo match is that I discover something distinct on my hat and then I look for a photo that shows that distinct mark or pattern or vice versa. If the marking/pattern is not on the photo where I assume it to be, it’s not a match. In other words, the photo match should occur between my item and the photo without any effort of manipulation, however little, on my part.

Based on what you have shown us, I am leaning towards a style match but I am happy to listen to more information from you to convince me that you have a photo match. If I was to sell this hat, I would have problems describing this hat as a photo matched hat.

sox83cubs84
10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't profess to be a photomatching guru, but it seems to me the odds of a minor league player who wasn't a Starsburg/Harper level prospect looking to wear multiple caps in the same game would be miniscule. Also, while I know that MLB.com does make the occasional error (like anyone else, myself included), there's nothing here red flagging me to think that the cap is anything other than advertised and what Frik understood it to be when she bought it. While photomatching, in and of itself, is a benefit for the game-used hobby, sometimes an indisputable match is just not there. Personally, if I were an Altuve/Astros fan, there's enough there to go on for me to want to own it.

Dave Miedema

joelsabi
10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Personally, if I were an Altuve/Astros fan, there's enough there to go on for me to want to own it.

Dave Miedema

i agree. after seeing the video, i look forward to following Altuve this upcoming season. he's very fan friendly.