PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose Game Used Bat

Rockhopper
09-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey all. New to the site, I found you guys via google. Anyways, my dad inherited some Cincinnati Reds Memorabilia several years ago from a friend who was a die-hard Reds fan. Anyways, my dad had no use for the items and recently gave them to me to list on eBay. I had searched around ebay for similar items to get a general idea of what to expect to get for each of the items.

Well, one of the items he had was a broken game used Pete Rose bat. I couldn't find anything similar on ebay, so I figured it wouldn't be worth that much. Since I've listed it, however, I've been inundated with emails offering me a couple hundred dollars and asking me to end the listing early. I have no idea what this bat would be worth, so I thought I'd post here to see if anybody could give me a general idea of what would be a fair offer. Here are some pictures:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6170/6193292085_8cf72936f2.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/6190849338_c8d1445af8.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6190580938_6de922f3ab.jpg

tacprc
10-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Personally, I would only bid about $400 because Pete's number 14 is not written on the knob.

dplettn
10-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Game Used Pete Rose bats are worth much more than a few hundred bucks. Are you in Cincinnati? If so, there are at least two well recognized dealers. Both are great and can act as an intermediary to make sure that you know what you have (year, how extensive is the use, etc). Numbers like 35 are generally indicative of length, but it is also true than barrel and knob markings are also relevant... much like pine tar.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need contact info for the two reputable dealers. They can be very useful to knowing what any particular bat you have is worth. They also have lists of people like me (I'm looking for a Bench bat) who they could help you broker a sale to.

For somebody like yourself, I think you'd be better off knowing that one of the reputable dealers is going to make something for brokering a sale, than eBay making the same or a similar portion. Having them helping you is going to prevent you from making a blunder, and also its going to help the ultimate buyer from buying something that isn't what it appears to be.

At any rate, hope this helps.

plettner@fuse.net

Rockhopper
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for your help. I wound up just letting it ride and got almost $1300 for it. I had a guy emailing me trying to get me to sell it to him for $400 and end the auction early. He even went so far as to send me a link to a different bat that was a buy it now for $300. Of course, it wasn't the real thing, just a replica. Funny thing is, that same guy who wanted to give me $400 for it wound up being the 2nd highest bidder at $1250.

dplettn
10-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your help. I wound up just letting it ride and got almost $1300 for it. I had a guy emailing me trying to get me to sell it to him for $400 and end the auction early. He even went so far as to send me a link to a different bat that was a buy it now for $300. Of course, it wasn't the real thing, just a replica. Funny thing is, that same guy who wanted to give me $400 for it wound up being the 2nd highest bidder at $1250.

Glad to help, actually $1300 is a pretty low price for a Rose gamer. I suspect that you would have done better by using an expert dealer as a middleman (rather than eBay)... The dealer could help both parties to really know exactly what was being sold (and to trust each other). eBay may reach the most eyeballs for the fee they charge you, but eBay doesn't really have that same competency.

The behavior you got from your $400 offer / $1250 bidder is indicative of the type of greedy, sleazy behavior that exists on eBay.

At any rate, you sound pleased. So I'm happy for you. If you have a similar bat (of Bench) that you want to sell I'd be pleased to pay you fairly however you prefer to sell it.

plettner@fuse.net

tacprc
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Just to be clear, I am not the guy who offered you $400 and then later bid $1250. I was the guy who asked you to post a picture of the knob. I did not place a bid.

Fyi, so that you have a second opinion, I think that you did really well on this Rose bat. I don't think that Pete actually used this bat -- because his number does not appear on the knob.

Pete once told me that he only used about four of every twelve bats that he ordered. He selected the ones that had the widest grain on the barrel and gave the rest back to the Reds equipment manager (e.g., to be later given away to fans).

tacprc
10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
p.s. I have been seriously collecting Rose game used bats for more than 15 years. I have owned more than 30, and sold my collection of the 25 nicest ones back in June.