PDA

View Full Version : You Coulda Had It- John Franco Rookie Jersey

Eric
09-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Here's a good installment of "You Coulda Had It"

Featured today is an ebay listing by jonsstats, who very often had interesting rare game used items.

Someone got a great deal on a John Franco rookie jersey. At the start of his career his number was 52 (I even checked it in the textbook Now Batting Number... which lists every player and every number they wore)

Someone got a steal at $380
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170020942415&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Here's the description

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A 1984 JOHN FRANCO CINCINNATI REDS MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL GAME WORN/USED JERSEY. WORN BY FRANCO AT THE START OF HIS ROOKIE YEAR. JERSEY IS TAGGED FROM 1983 AND IT IS NUMBER 52, A NUMBER ONLY WORN BY FRANCO AT THE START OF HIS ROOKIE YEAR AND THEN HE SWITCHED TO NUMBER 31. AS PER YEAR TAG, VERY COMMON TO PLACE TO HAVE A JERSEY ACTUALLY TAGGED A YEAR BEFORE USAGE AS NOT USED THAT YEAR AND THEN USED THE FOLLOWING YEAR BY A GIVEN PLAYER. SHOWS TREMENDOUS USAGE!!! WONDERFUL EYE APPEAL!!! JOHN FRANCO IS A PROBABLE BASEBALL HALL OF FAME RELIEF PITCHER AND THIS IS MORE THAN LIKELY THE FIRST JERSEY HE EVER WORE IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES!!!!. NO RESERVE AND SHIPPING IS $8.50. I SHIP ONLY VIA UPS AND ONLY WITHIN THE UNITED STATES. NO EXCEPTIONS TO EITHER SHIPPING RULES. UPS WILL NOT DELIVER TO A PO BOX SO YOU MUST PROVIDE ME WITH A STREET ADDRESS TO SHIP TO. I ACCEPT AMEX, VISA, MASTERCARD, PERSONAL CHECK, CASHIERS CHECK, MONEY ORDER, OR PAYPAL. TEXAS RESIDENTS MUST ADD 8.125% SALES TAX TO FINAL PURCHASE PRICE. THANKS.

hblakewolf
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Eric-
Help me understand your post. What makes you think this is such a steal? Is this a particularly difficult style (no)? Is Franco the type of player people seek equipment from (no)?

What am I missing here? :confused:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Howard

Maybe it's just me and I like the rare ones. How many other jerseys are you going to find with a player's rooke number?

I don't collect Franco, but he was a 4 time all star and 3rd all time in saves. For the right collector, to me that seems like a great price on a rare jersey

I have a Paul O'Neill rookie jersey with the Reds where he wore #57 and it's one of my favorite items. (Got it from Rob Steinmetz at Authentic Gamers- thanks Rob!) Can't be too many out there.

Eric

hblakewolf
09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Eric-
By all means, I agree that it's a scarce jersey, but in terms of someone getting a "deal", $380 appears to be on the mark.

Reds jerseys of this mid 1980's era were never very difficult to locate, especially with dealers such as Hartel and Paul Kinzer buying in bulk and then offering them for years at reasonable prices.

$380. for Concepcion, Cedeno or even Parker may be a "steal". Who really cares about John Franco, let alone a 1983 tagged jersey that was not worn by him until the following season, 1984?

A 2000 Mets World Series jersey might be a "steal" at $380., but a Reds rookie??????

Just my thoughts.....

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard

Maybe it's just me and I like the rare ones. How many other jerseys are you going to find with a player's rooke number?

I don't collect Franco, but he was a 4 time all star and 3rd all time in saves. For the right collector, to me that seems like a great price on a rare jersey

I have a Paul O'Neill rookie jersey with the Reds where he wore #57 and it's one of my favorite items. Can't be too many out there.

Eric

trsent
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
As I often preach:

The jersey in question to some is priceless, but to most it is worthless.

I'd say if you walked down the street trying to sell the jersey you wouldn't get $380.00. Some people would run away from you, some would offer you $1.00 or $5.00 for a jersey to wear, and maybe you'd find a sports nut who would give you $20.00.

If you walked into the John Franco home, you may get $1000.00 for the jersey.

Since eBay has become the world's largest marketplace, the public figured the jersey was worth $380.00 this week.

A steal to some, average to others but overpriced to the majority of the living world.

Eric
09-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Well, you all squeezed the fun outta that thread. On to the next one...

trsent
09-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, you all squeezed the fun outta that thread. On to the next one...

Could you lock the door on this one then?

Eric
09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not going to lock the door on this one in case someone out there finds some joy in looking at the listing and sharing a similar experience with a rookie shirt they bought that they enjoy having in their collection.

Someone out there has to be having some fun with the hobby...
Eric

sportscentury
09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
When I was at the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies this year, there was a ton of talk about relievers getting into the Hall (because Bruce Sutter was inducted this year). Everyone knows that Mariano will get in. Other relievers who were paid some recognition included Gossage, Lee Smith, Hoffman, and Franco. If Franco does get into the Hall (and while I don't think that this is a sure thing, I do believe he will get some consideration), that jersey will likely be worth a good bit. An interesting not about Franco: In the 2000 subway series, the Mets took only one game from the Yanks. The winning pitcher was Franco, who got the win coming out of the bullpen. So, I don't think the jersey is necessarily the greatest steal in the world right now, but it could prove to be a very good investment, depending on how Franco fares with the baseball writers.

Reid

Eric
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok Reid-

Props to you for trying to save the thread with some positive talk.

Any Mets or Reds guys out there who are kicking themselves for not knowing the Franco jersey was around?

(I know- this is the definition of beating a dead horse)

Eric

stkmtimo
09-18-2006, 03:49 PM
A rookie jersey of a potential Hall of Famer? I'd say it's a very good investment. As Eric said, Franco is 3rd on the career saves list and finished with a 2.89 ERA. This gamer would sell well here in the tri-state area as Franco remains very, very popular, especially in New York City. I'm sure you could obtain a premium if you were able to sell it around here.

Tim

Eric
09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Uh oh-

The positive comments are catching up with the negatives....

Eric

suave1477
09-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Eric I have to agree with you. I dont think the other members realize Francos popularity grew in New York and became a somewhat of a hometown favorite. So being a Reds Jersey may not exactly have the appeal to most but for New York fans it would have appeal because its the Rookie Jersey of a hometown fav.

trsent
09-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Eric, I just reread this thread, you missed my point that I always make.

A John Franco jersey appears to be a steal to you at $380.00, but to 99% of the living world the jersey is worthless. Same is true of a Honus Wagner T206 card, but maybe that card has some value to a 1.5% of the living world.

Back to John Franco, to some the jersey sold cheap, to others it was expensive but I was once again giving my life theory that to most it is worthless.

flaco1801
09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
eric, the jersey was well worth the money compared to the set 20 jerseys we see now. Jeff

kingjammy24
09-18-2006, 06:18 PM
joel,

although i may be wrong, i'm willing to wager that eric wasn't implying that the jersey was a steal for 99.9% of the world or to the average person on the street. something tells me he meant it was a steal for a jersey collector. maybe i'm reading into his post too much though.

all i know is that when i find a 1991 olerud jersey, 99.9% of the world damn well better be excited.

rudy.

Nilbog
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I think it's a beautiful jersey (love that Reds style). Considering that a retail authentic costs now $250+ in most cases I would defiantely call that a steal. Also, I'm a newbie on here so what would i know. lol

metsbats
09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm not going to lock the door on this one in case someone out there finds some joy in looking at the listing and sharing a similar experience with a rookie shirt they bought that they enjoy having in their collection.

Someone out there has to be having some fun with the hobby...
Eric

I certainly can relate to finding a rookie jersey of my favorite player. I have Ed Hearn' s 86 Road jersey which I paid 675 for. I'm sure some here may think that's a lot to pay for a 2nd string catcher whose career only lasted 62 games and 172 ABs but to me it was a steal.

I hope the person who won Franco's rookie jersey feels the same way.

David

camarokids
09-19-2006, 07:58 PM
"One mans garbage is another mans treasure"

Most people in the world could care less about our collections of game used bats , hats , gloves , jerseys ,etc... But to you and I the collectors they are priceless works of art ......

I do agree with Eric though , sounds like a good deal for his rookie jersey especially with the Mets kicking as* this year....

Eric
09-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Holy Cow, it appears the naysayers got trounced by the positive posts. It was a photo finish, but people looking to find enjoyment in the hobby eked out the win.
Eric

Swoboda4
09-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I would have bid on it if I wasn't too busy complaining on another thread. I think it was a steal. Franco is way above average for a MLB player and his rookie era jersey should NOT go for around $300 despite the availability for a jersey from that team. Imagine how Steiner would have described this jersey and what his sale price would have been.

EurekaDave
09-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I guess I wouldn't be thrilled with a Franco jersey -- but that's the great thing about this collecting thing -- we each have our reasons for cherishing the things we have acquired. It pumps the adrenaline, and mystifies those we love.

Plenty of somebody's will pay $300 for a Pete Rose "sorry" ball and think they got a bargain.

Dave S.

Calrima
09-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I think this is whats makes us all collectors, and we see a value and sometimes a steal in getting a real gammer. I showed my bat collection to a neighbor yesterday, and he could not have been LESS INTERESTED. He said " Den its a bat rack with a bunch of old bats"

Enjoy the hobby , my friends!

Den

ryan4fregosi
09-20-2006, 07:37 PM
$380 is a steal for John Franco's car. For his jersey, not so much...AND I'm a Mets fan!

beavisrules
09-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I am neither a novice nor an expert, but I think $380 sounds like a pretty good price for the Franco rookie jersey - I would have guessed it would have fetched about $500 on ebay

both-teams-played-hard
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I am neither a novice nor an expert, but I think $380 sounds like a pretty good price for the Franco rookie jersey - I would have guessed it would have fetched about $500 on ebay

be nice fellas, its only his 2nd post!

both-teams-played-hard
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
be nice fellas, its only his 2nd post!
Sorry I had more to add.
Yes, on any other day, it should have gotten $500 on eBay. Most dealers would advertise this at $500-$600.

sportscentury
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure that it would normally go for much more money. I think it was a semi-bargain at the current time. The real value in the jersey is down the line when people start talking about his Hall of Fame potential. If you look at it as a longer-term investment, then it is a better deal. If you're looking to flip it now, I'm not sure how big the profit margin is. Of course, if you are a serious Franco, Mets, or Reds fan, and your interest is in keeping it and enjoying it, it may be the deal of the century ... which is the best of all.

Reid

MVP
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, the Franco rookie jersey sold again (ebay # 170034370686 ) . This time it sold for $176.87. Those of you that thought it was a steal at $380 a few weeks ago could have had it for just $176.87.

-Henry

sportscentury
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I wonder why the first transaction was not completed. $176 for a real Franco rookie jersey would be a very good price, for certain.

Reid