PDA

View Full Version : RIP Al Davis

xpress34
10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
THE Raider himself has left us...

Al Davis Dies (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20111008/Raiders-Davis.Dies/)

Shipp_96
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow, that is sad news. As someone that lived in the Bay Area for 7 years and attended many a Raiders game, I know this man was not beloved even by his own fans. However, he was THE pioneer of the AFL and his teams of the late 70s early 80s were as good as anyone's ever were.

What a shame in a year the Raiders finally seem to have turned the corner he will not be around to enjoy it.

For anyone who did not understand AL (and I certainly did not) one should watch the AFL documentary the NFL Network produced. It really explains how he was betrayed while acting Commissioner of the AFL, and was valid in his hatred of the NFL (Pete Rozelle specifically) along with Lamar Hunt.

schubert1970
10-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I wanted to thank Al for firing Mike Shanahan. Thanks to him the Broncos won two super bowls. Thanks Al!

p.s. I'm sure the Bucs fans feel the same way about Gruden.

RaiderNationPDX
10-08-2011, 06:36 PM
For all his faults (and there were many), he helped make the Raiders and the NFL what they are today. Rest in peace.

sox83cubs84
10-08-2011, 09:49 PM
It's a shame that younger fans will only know Davis for his eccentricies and questionable judgement of the 2000s, rather than the 1960, 70s and 80s Raiders, when the silver and black was a force to be feared by opponents. RIP, Al. Old farts like me and true fans will remember what you were truly made of.

Dave Miedema