PDA

View Full Version : Current Brewers items

dplettn
10-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Renee at the Brewers has (very deservedly) been getting some good recognition here.

For Brewers and nationally minded collectors, they currently have champagne bottles from the clinch game ($300), bases from the NLDS win over the Diamondbacks ($500), and locker nameplates from the NLDS available. e-mail address below:

gameused@brewers.com

Also, there are a number of bats and jerseys on the MLB site:

http://brewers.auction.mlb.com/

Hope this helps folks. As more and more people have been noticing, the Brewers approach with game used is really standing out this year... even before the team was likely to be playoff bound.

frikativ54
10-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Prices seem really high IMO.

SkubeBats
10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
The Brewers prices just keep going up. Renee is in charge of selling Brewers gu items for the team. All their prices are just nuts and the reason is that the Brewers are playing good. Plus the other factor is the reselling of the items she sell's to people. Renee doesn't like people who buy items from her then they turn around and sell them for a higher price. She watches this forum, EBAY, and Craigslist to see what Brewers items are selling and to see if there anything she has sold in the past. Sure the Brewers try different ways to sell their gu items but the fact is the prices or way to high for the normal collector. Now she is trying to greade the bats she sell's. All this is doing is jacking up the price and wrecking it for the true collectors. I've only bought 1 or 2 items through the Brewers because of their high price. I'm a true Brewers collector but I will not spend crazzy money for my Brewers items!! If you ask me these MLB teams need to hire people that know about our hobby not people of the streets that have no clue about collecting and selling game used items.

BrewCrewSackers
10-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree Skube. I was at the D-backs game 5 game and I swear 50% of the game used stuff in the 3 shops were the same since April. I understand that they have to increase profits but it's just insane. At least maybe stuff will go down next year when the brewers win 20 less games. I understand if Braun's stuff keeps going up but these prices are insane=Gomez helmets-$275, axford jersey-$900!,Wolf helmets-$250! I'm actualy glad their GU is so high now, I have so much more $$ in my bank account. I can't wait to see all the T-plush jersey's for $1,000! T-Plush the utility player that is.

SkubeBats
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I think their prices are 3X what they should be. It's a joke when you go to the team stores. First off half the time you can't find one worker who knows anything about their game used items and second you never can get a list of items with prices. When you do get a list of items & prices you wish you hadn't. Get some people there that know what their doing!! Also they should get real on their prices.....I'm so glad I have other contacts with the team to get my Brewers items.

solarlottry
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
The purpose of any team when they sell their own GU items is to make a profit, or in the case of NFL Auctions, raise money for charity. Both of these endeavors require pricing that the free market allows for.

If Renee continues to see her items resold at higher prices on ebay, craigslist and on GUU, then her reasoning for raising her prices is sound and logical. If they hire a "hobby expert" what is their role? Too find only the true collector and only sell to them? That would be ridiculous as what is the definition of the true collector and how would the team decide which collector to sell their items to. If the team stated "we are selling our game used items only to collectors" and they thought you were not a collector by their criteria, you would be shut out and pissed off.

Renee is doing what she thinks is right. If people continue to buy her Brewers GU items and are continually successful in reselling them, then they are underpriced. Only when they sit for months on end and she does not see items being resold will she lower her prices. It is the members of this forum that buy and then resell who are driving up the prices, not Renee!

Always buying 49er GU and paying quite well. Paying a finders fee for the right item.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

BULBUS
10-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Well said Paul. Prices mentioned earlier seem reasonable for primary market. Count yourselves lucky that companies like Steiner, JO Sports, ect., havent talked Renee or the Brewers into selling their game used merchandise. That Axford jersey would be 2,500 from Steiner or JO :eek:

happyyoungster
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
The fact is, Milwaukee Brewers collectors are among the most diehard in the hobby. We (myself included), at times, overpay for items that wouldn't even reach the minimum bids if sold in other markets.

Our team has never won a championship. Been to the Series once and lost to the Cards. We have only two players wearing Brewers hats in Cooperstown. For the most part, we have been a losing franchise. We play in a small market. Etc., etc...

I have seen many times in the past 5-10 years-Auction houses realizing prices over $1K+ for game jerseys of common-players of the 70's and 80's. Jerseys of comparable players on other teams rarely reach this level.
Why? Who the hell knows?

I do know this: we have to keep things in perspective.

Renee is doing exactly what she was brought in to do.
Take an item and sell it for the highest possible amount. If we, as buyers, are willing to up the ante, then why should she relax her prices?
We are to blame and ONLY us. It comes down to the simple rule of supply & demand. As long as we are over-paying for one-of-a-kind items, the prices will continue to rise. When we stop buying emotionally and start buying sensibly, things will even out.

I think the original argument was the re-sale of Brewers items for a profit.
Yeah, this hurts the true collectors. But, what can we do about that?
Absolutely nothing...it's an open and free market.

cmlsr5
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't know, I see things at the Brewers a lot differently. Looking back two years ago the Brewers had game used bats for players like Gallardo, Kendall, Hart and Counsell priced at $1200. The Brewers store had Hart and McGehee bats for $150 and most of the other bats in the stores are reasonable as well. Even the jerseys in the stores are only about 1/4 of the price they were a couple years ago for players like Stetter, Parra, Hart, Weeks and Counsell who were all in the $1200 - $1500 range. Helmets too - way lower. Sure items from a future hall of famer such as Braun can and should be higher especially when there are limited quantities. I think someone there is doing a great job in getting prices to a much more reasonable range. I've even worked directly with Renee and she is great to work with and very knowledgeable in whats going on willing to work on price too. I know one thing for sure if I buy from the Brewers I know what I'm getting is authentic - that alone is worth something. Very smart of her if she's out here looking maybe that's why the prices have been lowered. Koodos to Renee!

dplettn
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, certainly. I do find it hard to lend credibility to commentary from someone who buys/sells different bats at different prices, who claims to be critical of a team’s unique competency for grading bats (essentially making opportunistic bat buying/selling less or totally unprofitable). What Renee is doing is making it very challenging for opportunistic eBayer types to vulture her choice inventory, while also having product available for the end consumer at all price points.

A portion of the sales Renee makes are donated to the Brewers’ Community Foundation. In the Brewers’ case this appears symbolic of a broader purpose than current revenues… grassroots benefits. I would argue that the task of the team game used marketer’s role is far more complex than simply maximizing revenues and in the Brewer organization its not empty symbolism.

Renee is particularly capable as a team rep and she does a tremendous job of serving her role’s complex goals, IMHO. The more a team deals directly with the end consumer and people buy what they truthfully need/want for themselves, the more desirable items can be purchased by ordinary folks and collectors without paying markups to resellers.

Because of the Brewers’ excess demand this year, it is particularly challenging for her to be able to have something for every fan who wants to memorialize the year, the team, or the player. But by segmenting the market, she has been able to minimize the number of fans who simply can’t buy anything at all.

And thus, she maximizes the number of fans who will always be able to look at the $100 game used jersey (http://brewers.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=165930717&prmenbr=33316709&aunbr=166277427) they can buy, and still remember the positive experience of having purchased it directly from the Brewers (not having been shut out through the team and having to resort to paying 5 times that on eBay).

The positive experiences Renee provides on behalf of the Brewers can and will have long term impacts on families relationships with the team… And, the long term effect of tickets sold, T-shirts, beer, and hot dogs bought, etc are far more relevant than maximizing current revenue on a game used bat that breaks.

For those wanting to grade Renee, don’t consider merely whether she’s good for you (particularly if you are one of those opportunistic eBayer types that make collecting impractical for many ordinary fans). Rather, consider whether she is building positive experiences between people (not merely collectors here) and major league baseball – particularly her club, the Brewers.

flota89
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
I've read through this thread. I'm curious...what do the Brewers charge for their game used bats. Many believe the Cardinals bats are too costly, but every time a nice one (small crack, nice use, etc) goes for sale it usually goes quick. Here's a price guide for Cardinals bats.

Berkman-$350
Holliday, Molina-$300
Furcal, Rasmus-$175
Craig, Jay, Punto, Theriot, Schumaker, Garcia-$150
Lohse-$125
Cruz, Robinson, Chambers, low-level rookies-$75

What would one expect to pay for Brewer bats?

Hitman Hart
10-13-2011, 07:55 PM
To add to thread: When my Hart Bierbrauer jersey went missing, thanks Fed Ex, she was very diligent in pursuing a positive outcome for my wife and I. Her communications were always professional and genuine. I hope that when the 2011 jerseys become available she and I can get that Hart jersey order taken care of.