PDA

View Full Version : eBay 320771792352: Misdescribed

sox83cubs84
10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
The above jersey has been "enhanced" in both description and appearance in order to make it seem more desirable.

The item is a 2010 Texas Rangers blue road alternate worn by Neftali Feliz and authenticated by MLB. The seller gives the impression that Feliz wore this jersey in the World Series, with the WS sleeve patch visible in the photo, and that's where the fun begins.

The jersey (FJ 263 426, not FL as the listing text indicates) was authenticated by MLB on September 5 after a game in Target Field when Texas wore their blue jerseys. I would think it would be difficult to have MLB verify the jersey and then suddenly return it to the player for the World Series.

That leads me to my second point...the Ranger didn't wear either of their alternate jerseys (red home nor blue road) in the Series...they stuck with home whites and road greys.

So...someone (either the seller or the team) looks to have added a World Series sleeve patch to a regular season jersey it doesn't belong on. I wouldn't automatically blame the seller, either, as the White Sox did the same thing (add WS patches) to many of their 2005 home vests and black alternates, neither of which were worn in the White Sox sweep of the Astros. I'd hate to think that the Rangers added something that didn't belong, but, for a MLB team, it's not without precedent.

Dave Miedema

Flamechicken
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I was down visiting my parents in TX in July and went to the Ballpark to take a look at some GU jerseys. I noticed at the time that all of the 2010 jerseys they had left had a WS patch. I asked the employee that let us in to the GU shop what the deal was and he told me that the Rangers added the patch to all there 2010 GU jerseys that they had on hand after the season.

They had a list that showed when most of the jerseys were worn and I found the same thing, jerseys worn in June for instance, had a WS patch. I was surprised at the time that they would do that. I was even more surprised by the amount they were asking.

rdeversole
10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah - they seemed to have unfortunately slapped that patch on everything. I have a Jorge Cantu Blue Alt on ebay that has one on it. I think they put patches on everything just in case.

However, WS worn jerseys have a handwritten notation on the inside wash tag in addition to the patch - at least my Cantu Road does that I bought from the Rangers.

ziggy
10-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Rangers had the WS patch sewn on all 2010 jerseys after the season. I guess they thought they would bring more money with it attached.

rdeversole
10-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Rangers had the WS patch sewn on all 2010 jerseys after the season. I guess they thought they would bring more money with it attached.

After the season? Has anybody else heard this too? It'd make more sense to me to tag everything going into the world series in case of use as opposed to unethically tagging jerseys to raise sales prices after the fact.

jppopma
10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
After the season? Has anybody else heard this too? It'd make more sense to me to tag everything going into the world series in case of use as opposed to unethically tagging jerseys to raise sales prices after the fact.

I have heard of other teams doing this as well. The problem with teams is that they are just looking for what will increase the price the most. While we have our own level of ethics and expectations, we do need to remember that the teams don't really focus on our hobby. Many of the fans that I see buying jerseys at games are not collectors, nor do they care about preserving the integrity of a jersey. It's those fans that outnumber our small community and are willing to pay $50-100 more for a jersey with this (non worn) patch.

How many times have we all cringed at seeing a fan at a game wearing an obvious gamer...complete with odd mismatch of patches sewn on themselves?