PDA

View Full Version : Game worn tagging in NFL collars?

Shipp_96
10-16-2011, 12:14 AM
I have quite a few NFL gamers, and there are a couple currently on ebay that look legitimate, but the year the person claims the jersey is from and the inside collar tagging that corresponds with the jersey are WAY off. One example is an 02-40 for a 2009 jersey, another is a 05-46 for a 2010 jersey? It is a team I own happen to own a couple former PSU players from, so I know there are obvious signs to look for that show me the jerseys are real.

But why the HUGE discrepancy in year tagging? Is it possible the team recycled these with that many years of a gap in between? Or possibly the jerseys are real and the person altered the nameplate for a more desirable player (which I kind of doubt...but you never know).

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

bruno89
10-16-2011, 12:19 AM
I really dont know the reason why but i do know that this case happens alot of times , i witness lately those year tags on it and somethimes even companies such as meigray and josports if you look at some of their jerseys the year does not correspond to the actual year it was used by the player...so thats why i know it happens in alot of cases and does not take the authenticity away from the jersey for that simple fact.

Just my two cents.

Preston
10-16-2011, 01:12 AM
At least with Titans jerseys, I've seen it a LOT more often w/ practice jerseys, though I have noticed quite a few gamers that the year does NOT correspond with the tagging - i.e. I have a Rob Bironas "tagged" 2005, but has the "10th Anniversary" patch.

Then again, I'm not quite sure how many of my Titans gamers don't correspond with the actual year (I believe just the Bironas and the CJ "issued" #29 jersey - tagged 2007), but I've seen practice jerseys of Brandon Jones w/ a 2001 or 2002 tag, and he wasn't even in the league til 2005.

Perhaps it's just sheer laziness?

short84
10-16-2011, 08:01 AM
I think it is fairly common. I have several game used Cowboys jerseys (documented by either Steiner or JO) that have neck tagging that is two to five years off. For example, I have two Cowboys jerseys that have the anniversary patch on them (both used in 2010) and one has an 07-46 neck tag and the other 08-48. The patch along with COA verifies they were used in 2010 but manufactured by Reebok in 2007 and 2008. I even have a couple that were made in 2005 and 2006 that have the newer NFL shield (the one with 8 stars) sewn on top of the previous NFL shield. I have several game used Rams jerseys that are the same way. I wonder if teams will be trying to use up their Reebok jerseys this year or will a massive amount of them end up on eBay since Nike has the contract starting next season?

solarlottry
10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
The 49ers were notorious for recycling their jerseys going all the way back to the early 1980s. I have a number of 1994 Wilson gamers that were worn as far back as 1991. These gamers have the date codes ranging from D to F which corresponds to 1991 thru 1993. They also used old gamers from the 1970s for practice shirts for the 1994 team. A few years ago a Ken Norton Jr. 94 practice shirt was sold which had been worn by Randy Cross for many seasons between 1981-84.

So seeing old year tags on shirts used many years later is no big deal. I even think Sam Bradford's first rookie jersey is tagged like 07.

Always buying 49er gamers, ANY 1994 49er gamer and paying a finders fee! Looking for a 49er and Bills TO and have $ in hand to make you quite happy!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
10-16-2011, 02:59 PM
When I was with MEARS, we had a Baltimore Colts gamer that was recycled based upon the NOB plate having a name on the underneath side as well. Checking the two players, it turned out that the first of the two wore it 9 years earlier than the player whose NOB was currently displayed. We even matched the front number font to the team picture for that season.

Dave Miedema

Shipp_96
10-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Just to give this topic some closure, I heard back from the team's equipment manager, and was given this response:

"The year on the back of the jersey is not from the year that they necessarily played. That year is the year Reebok made the blank jersey and gave it to the team. Depending on the style and cut the player requests, we will use what we have left available.

Thank you,

..."

So, there answers the left over question and gaps. I am with other wondering what does NIKE mean? Will teams simply sew over the REEBOK patch with a NIKE logo like they used to do in the 90s? Curious, but this made me feel good enough to purchase the jersey.

Mattapan03
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Just to give this topic some closure, I heard back from the team's equipment manager, and was given this response:

"The year on the back of the jersey is not from the year that they necessarily played. That year is the year Reebok made the blank jersey and gave it to the team. Depending on the style and cut the player requests, we will use what we have left available.

Thank you,

..."

So, there answers the left over question and gaps. I am with other wondering what does NIKE mean? Will teams simply sew over the REEBOK patch with a NIKE logo like they used to do in the 90s? Curious, but this made me feel good enough to purchase the jersey.

If its the Deon Butler you won, you are 100% good. The Seahawks are notorious for reusing jersey's as far back as a decade ago.

Shipp_96
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes it is. I (like yourself) buy from the 'Hawks Pro Shop on a regular basis but was beat to the punch on this one. It's OK, got it for $10 more than I would have paid from them directly (confirmed the price it sold for with Ryan up there, who had the equipment manager send me the email I posted).

With gas prices what they are, I really got it at cost. Thanks for the affirmation, I feel good as well in buying this. The fact he was (and is ) one of my favorite players from his Penn State days make it all the better.

gamewornauthentics
10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
hey shipp,

nice pick up on the butler jersey; i was thinking of bidding as a psu collector as well. i did find a photo match of the butler i wanted to share with you.

if you look at the neck line where the nfl logo is it matches the placement on this picture with a little bit of blue underneither the nfl sheild. you see what i am saying?

ENJOY THE JERSEY!

i still got that king rams jersey if you want it. let me know