Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panthrotc
    • Dec 2005

New Pickup - 4 HR Photomatched 93 McGwire Bat

Picked up a new McGwire Game Used Bat. *I got it from a seller who originally obtained it from fellow McGwire Collector and GU Forum member Carlie Medina.*

It is from his injury plagued season of 93 in which he played in 27 games. To*
    find a bat from 93 is insanely hard.*

I saw Mac play early that year on May 4 at Yankee stadium.*

I started trying to photomatch the bat. I figured with 27 games played and*knowing how he used bats till they cracked, it would not be impossible.*

I used live video footage from the *HR footage/ highlight DVDs I got last year.*

The bat has a very distinct pine tar pattern . It is extremely dark on the*
    center Rawlings logo with a light ring of tar just above.*

I found footage of him using a bat with the same distinct pine tar application.

The footage is of him at Yankee Stadium on May 3,1993. It happens to be one day*
    before I had attended. In the May 3rd game I have tape of , he hit 2 HR's. They*
    came off Scott Kamenicki and Jim Abbott. Since they are live , they show*
    Closeups of him in between pitches. I think it's safe to say he is using this*
    exact bat. For the 2nd HR of that game , *it hit the foul pole in left field
    and they show a slow mo pic of him after he hit it slowly looking *down the line*
    to see it stays fair . *So in all there is *a bunch of great helpful shots *you*
    would need have that enable you to really get a bunch of pictures to help*
    compare bats.

That's only half of the story.*
    The next live footage is him hitting a single off the green monster 2 days after*
    the 2 HR game. So as a 10 year old fan I was at a game in which he used the bat*
    as he is clearly using the bat for the first game of the series that follows the*
    game i was at .although I dont remember the bat , I'm sure I was in my seat*
    wishing I owned the bat I was watching him use.

The day after he hit the single off the monster which was May 5th *, on May 6th*
    , he hit 2 more HR's in a day game at Boston off Roger Clemens and Greg Harris.*

The footage of the boston HR's is from ESPN Sportscenter highlights which don't*
    show the in between pitch footage , but I took screen shots and because of the*
    dark tar in the center , it stands out. So he was using this bat again , for*
    both HR's bringing the total videomatched HR's to 4 !!!!!

I now own 2 HR Bats and the dream of owning a bat he used at a game I saw him*
    play , I feel has now come true.

I don't know about the first 4 HR's of the season as the footage I have does not*
    have clips of the Season 's 2nd and 3rd HR's and there is no way knowing if it*
    was used for the 1st. But am 100% sure I own the bat that was used to hit season*
    HR's 4-5-6-7. I have footage of the 8th HR and it looks like he is using a Diff*
    bat. He played in 2 games in between his 7th HR (the Boston multiple HR) game*
    and the 8th game, I think he cracked it during that period. There is live*
    footage of HR 9 and he is clearly using a new bat.*

But overall I think it's safe to assume this bat has been matched to at least 4*
    HR's of the 9 he hit in 1993. *

I also paid a decent price of 1,250$ as the seller had no clue of the history of*
    use. Without my footage I have no clue how to find old HR footage .

The bat is cracked which also explains why he is not using it for the 8th HR. Mac used bats till they cracked. Especially ones he was in a groove with. If you want a Real Gamer of his , cracked is a Awsome trait of real gamer. My 89-90-96-97 bats all have heavy use and all are cracked. Same case with this bat. It's pounded.*

Batch Code Reads "064" Which is a date for a EARLY BATCH

Here is the bat lined up with the Bat from May 3, 1993 Against Yankees. The pine tar is the distinct character in this whole story. Especially the light ring above the dark. It's dark up to the green ring then the light ring starts.*

• panthrotc
    • Dec 2005

Re: New Pickup - 4 HR Photomatched 93 McGwire Bat

Here are the photomatching pictures.

5-3-93 goes 4-4 with 2 HR's

5-5-93 *Goes 1-3 with single off Monster and is still using the same bat used in the Yankee Series.*

5-6-93 *2 HR's. - Blurry but the tar is so dark its impossible to not stand out

HERE IS THE BAT On a 94' Ultra Card. Picture is from 93 - Taken at the Boston Day Game 5-6-93 (2 HR's)

Comment

• Dewey2007
      • Dec 2007

Match looks good to me. Awesome pickup!
      sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• gameused
        • Nov 2005

Nice Mac bat!

I would say the match is promising, but not 100% conclusive, the images are just to grainy.

Bobby

Comment

• panthrotc
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gameused
          Nice Mac bat!

I would say the match is promising, but not 100% conclusive, the images are just to grainy.

Bobby
          The Yankee game and the 1 Boston game from when he hit the single I think are enough to make a match. The 2nd Boston game is more of assumption.

Comment

• jetersbatboy
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by gameused
            Nice Mac bat!

Bobby
            Originally posted by panthrotc
            The Yankee game and the 1 Boston game from when he hit the single I think are enough to make a match. The 2nd Boston game is more of assumption.
            I agree with Bobby, it's really close, but just not 100%. It is a nice looking bat, Congrats on a great pickup!!

Comment

• panthrotc
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jetersbatboy
              I agree with Bobby, it's really close, but just not 100%. It is a nice looking bat, Congrats on a great pickup!!

Would you agree that the 94 Ultra is a photomatch?

Comment

• panthrotc
                • Dec 2005

Im asking because, in 93', the 2 games that i believe he is using my bat, one was a day game and one was a night game. The 94' ultra card is a picture of him at Fenway. McGwire played in 27 games and those were the only 2 games he played at Fenway. If the trend of using cards with the previous years photo is true, then that means the card's photo is from 93.

If the bat is a match on the card, which i believe it is, then going with the normal method of using cards with the previous years photo, then the 94' ultra card is of him during the day game when he hit 2 HR's. The Tar on the card is distinctly dark in the center and it has the light ring above.

i understand nothing is 100% with better photo's, but with the other info first stated, what do you think the percentage is that it is the bat used in the 2 HR games. If you saw the Yankee footage i have, i think you would be as confident as i was. But i understand what your saying.

Comment

• panthrotc
                  • Dec 2005

I matched up what i think are the distinguishing matching
                  Marks. I know it's grainy

Does anyone know is PSA/DNA will look at possible pictures that confirm photomatching ?

Comment

• panthrotc
                    • Dec 2005

Here are the 2 shots

With and without labels

Card match

Comment

• panthrotc
                      • Dec 2005

Here is a shot from a distance.

As with this image compared to the one below
                      The farther the distance , the more the spot would look would look more bare.

Also the with the black rack mark , it is dark enough to stabs out from the distance in the screen shot.

Comment

• panthrotc
                        • Dec 2005

Comment

• joecoco
                          • Dec 2005

Great match!!! Those older bats can be so tough to match, but looks like you have a perfect one. Congrats. Joe

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

i side with bobby too. i imagine there are many mcgwire bats like this with similar pinetar application if that is all there is to match.

the photos just seem too grainy, unable to see the grain pattern of the bat itself.

is there anything else that you can pinpoint other than the pinetar application?
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com
                            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• panthrotc
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
                              i side with bobby too. i imagine there are many mcgwire bats like this with similar pinetar application if that is all there is to match.

the photos just seem too grainy, unable to see the grain pattern of the bat itself.

is there anything else that you can pinpoint other than the pinetar application?

yes the black streak which is a rack mark. the placement of the streak mark next to the bare spot, are too similar , i know it's grainy but considering out of 27 games, how many other bats have those 2 marks in the same place? maybe i can't say it's 100 just because the grainy is not 100 accurate, but i would say it's at least 75%. if it was out of season where he played in 100 + games i would put it to rest, but out of 27 games, and the way he used bats, the pine tar patterns and the suggested use from the barrel would indicate this saw ALOT of use.

Comment

Working...