PDA

View Full Version : Who's the AL & NL MVP's???

camarokids
10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Who gets your vote for the MVP of each league?

TNTtoys
10-18-2011, 01:10 PM
NL: Matt Kemp
AL: Jacoby Ellsbury

yankees506
10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Cano and kemp

brewcrew
10-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Braun and Ellsbury. And not just because they powered my fantasy teams to victory, either. :D

AM
10-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Cabrera AL
Kemp/Braun NL

Manram
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
AL: Ellsbury
NL: Kemp

yanks12025
10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Ellsbury what a joke. hahahahahahaha

There's a ton of others who deserve it over him.

AM
10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Ellsbury had a phenomenal year - he was great from first to last

Adrian Gonzalez also had a great year

They were NOT Boston's problems this year

I think Cabrera is best hitter on a playoff team that only has one other good hitter - and Verlander can only affect the 35 games he starts

Cabrera is the AL's Pujols and they are the 2 best hitters in the game, period

Manram
10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Ellsbury what a joke. hahahahahahaha

There's a ton of others who deserve it over him.

Like??

yanks12025
10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Miguel Cabrera
Curtis Granderson
Robinson Cano,
Justin Verlander
Adrian Gonzales

Manram
10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Miguel Cabrera
Curtis Granderson
Robinson Cano,
Justin Verlander
Adrian Gonzales

Ellsbury beat cano in every category except rbis and granderson hit .262

frikativ54
10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Verlander / Braun

woody1351
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
verlander and kemp

yanks12025
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
But Granderson and Cano brought their team to the playoffs. You cant be an MVP and not make the playoffs. How is that being the most value able.

Also isn't it alittle odd a player goes from hitting a career high of 9 homeruns to 32. That's not strange at all???

AM
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Ellsbury could do no more to help Boston- their pitching failures & Crawford's miserable season are out of his control.

Who's to say Boston wouldn't have won 80 games if it hadn't been for guys like Ellsbury & Gonzalez?

And when did Granderson ever put up these numbers?

This is about MVP not the oddity of a power outburst.

Even Boggs and Rickey hit 20+ HRs in a season and they were leadoff hitters.

Besides, I pick Cabrera to win it anyway.

Manram
10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
But Granderson and Cano brought their team to the playoffs. You cant be an MVP and not make the playoffs. How is that being the most value able.

Also isn't it alittle odd a player goes from hitting a career high of 9 homeruns to 32. That's not strange at all???

Brought their team to the playoffs to lose in the first round....... And yes you can be MVP and not make the playoffs. How come a lot of people are saying Kemp for NL?? Dodgers weren't in the playoffs

bronx_burner
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Cabrera and Kemp.

Ellsbury had a great year but so did Gonzalez. 2 great offensive players from the same team ordinarily to me doesn't necessarily eliminate either from consideration. But with Ortiz hitting .329/29/96 and Pedroia hitting .307/21/91, I do not think they would be significantly worse off removing Ellsbury from the lineup. And to me, that's how an MVP should be determined - if you remove that player from the team, the team performance would drop off considerably. Cabrera and Kemp exemplify that to me the most this year.

bronx_burner
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Typo on Ortiz' average which was .309

sox83cubs84
10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
NL: Ryan Braun
AL: Miguel Cabrera

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
AL- Verlander

NL- Kemp

I don't buy the whole argument that your team has to make the playoffs to be MVP. One player only takes a team so far in baseball and I can't justify giving an award to a guy who had an inferior season solely because his team made the playoffs. Arod and Dawson won MVPs on bad teams so it would not be the first time and I think Kemp was significantly better than any player in the league. Braun had a great year but offensively was he really signifcantly better than Fielder, his own teamate? I would say no. And defense is not that big of a factor because he is a corner outfielder. As for Verlander I think he was the best player in the AL this year even though he was a pitcher. If the Tigers did not have him they probably would not have been a playoff team. As far as position players I would say Bautista is most deserving followed by Miguel.

Shipp_96
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
AL- Verlander

NL- Kemp

I don't buy the whole argument that your team has to make the playoffs to be MVP. One player only takes a team so far in baseball and I can't justify giving an award to a guy who had an inferior season solely because his team made the playoffs. Arod and Dawson won MVPs on bad teams so it would not be the first time...

I agree with your assessment, and would say with this logic:

NL-Andrew McCutchen
He single handily carried a sorry Pirates team on his back and had them in 1st place four months into the season. They also happened to be the same division that produced the two teams that played in the NLCS, making his play that much more impressive. Outside of Neil Walker, he IS their offense. Also a 20-20 player that lead his team in HRs, RBI, runs and SBs.

AL-I do not follow as close so would not venture to say.

freddiefreeman5
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
AL MVP should be Michael Young of Texas. The man has done everything asked of him for as long as he has been a Ranger had a great season for them again this year. .338 213 hits 106 RBI

He is cleary the MVP on the team for his sacrafice for the betterment of the team.

NL is Kemp in my mind.

camarokids
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with your assessment, and would say with this logic:

NL-Andrew McCutchen
He single handily carried a sorry Pirates team on his back and had them in 1st place four months into the season. They also happened to be the same division that produced the two teams that played in the NLCS, making his play that much more impressive. Outside of Neil Walker, he IS their offense. Also a 20-20 player that lead his team in HRs, RBI, runs and SBs.

AL-I do not follow as close so would not venture to say.

Wouldn't that be something if a Pittsburgh Pirate won the MVP. I would love to see the Pirates turn it around and be a contender for the entire season. The Pirates making the playoff's would be awesome to see!

sox83cubs84
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
AL- Verlander

NL- Kemp

I don't buy the whole argument that your team has to make the playoffs to be MVP. One player only takes a team so far in baseball and I can't justify giving an award to a guy who had an inferior season solely because his team made the playoffs. Arod and Dawson won MVPs on bad teams so it would not be the first time and I think Kemp was significantly better than any player in the league.

Another player who won TWO MVP awards on sub-.500 teams: Ernie Banks of the Cubs (1958-59). The Cubs finished fifth or worse during his two MVP seasons in an eight-team National League.

Dave Miedema

cjw
10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Jose Bautista and Kemp...and I am not just saying this now because they won the Hank Aaron awards in their respective leagues. They are the deserving MVPs in my estimation.

camarokids
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Dale Murphy, one of my favorite players growing up, won the MVP in 1982-83. The Braves lost the NLCS in 1982 against the Cards. In 1983 the Braves placed second behind the Dodgers.

Those were two great years to be a Braves fan, even though they did not win the World Series or even make it to the WS.