PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Willie Mays jersey

TNTtoys
10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I have already written to the seller, and thought I'd post a blurb here as well.

http://www.gottahaveit.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=1735&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=1973-Willie-Mays-New-York-Mets-Signed-%26-Inscribed-Worn-Jersey

Purported to be a 1973 Willie Mays jersey, this is nothing more than a 1981-1983 style Mets batting practice jersey that was later signed by Willie Mays.

The #24 (if original) would have been worn by a non-rostered spring training invitee, as no Met player or coach wore the # from 1980 through 1989. 1979 was Mays' last year as a coach, and this style BP debuted 2 years later.

If the #24 was not original, the jersey is a team issued blank (and this is highly likely -- in fact I have seen a couple lately) that was later customized. Also, if this is the case, the owner should have done his homework!!

yanks12025
10-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I think the Maris MVP award is one of the fakes that was on ebay last year. Also 2-3 grand for Gardners world series helmet seems alittle high. He didnt even do anything special.

Doodles
10-20-2011, 05:03 PM
The Mets began to wear BP jerseys in 1981. The one shown is a 1981-1983 style...1984 and on was mesh. The number font shown did not appear until 1984 also (exception is Tom Seaver, who had this font in 1983, the one year he was back)...see 1983 team photo:

sox83cubs84
10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Actually, you can narrow down the year(s) of the jersey in question further to 1982-83, as 1982 was the year Rawlings manufacturer tags began being affixed to the left tail (it was right tail before that for several years).

My guess is that Mays, in that era, was either serving his ludicrous "ban" from baseball, or was back in the employ of the San Francisco Giants. If I'm wrong on those counts, feel free to correct me.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Actually, you can narrow down the year(s) of the jersey in question further to 1982-83, as 1982 was the year Rawlings manufacturer tags began being affixed to the left tail (it was right tail before that for several years).

My guess is that Mays, in that era, was either serving his ludicrous "ban" from baseball, or was back in the employ of the San Francisco Giants. If I'm wrong on those counts, feel free to correct me.

Dave Miedema

I'd agree...1982 or 1983...so the number was most likely changed, as it would have been the serif font, not the block font on the uni...unless of course the Mets made it special for Mays (spring training?) when they had the Seaver one made. It is very unlikely though. Either way, it could never be a 1973.

TNTtoys
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
The number font shown did not appear until 1984 also

This is not correct -- I have seen many Mets BP jerseys from the early 80s (and own several), and it's surprising how many of them have serifs on the numbers as opposed to the non-serif style you are used to. I kept a couple just because I enjoyed the fact that they were different. In fact, if you look through Topps cards of this era (circa 1981-1983), you should be able to find many uniform numbers in this alternate font. I suppose there was not a whole lot of quality control back then.

Swoboda4
10-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Its funny, with Willie's style of writing a "W" like a 4,his inscription looks to read,"Best Fakes" instead of Best Wishes.

metsmetsmets
10-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Serifs and non-serifs:

Doodles
10-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Serifs and non-serifs:

great photo to illustrate the fonts I talked about...from 1981-1983, the BP was non-mesh with the block with serif font (worn today by the Twins for example). In 1984, they went to the mesh, with the familiar Mets block font (no serifs) used on their home jerseys since day one. The one exception (that I know about) to the rule of course was the Franchise. He got the block font a year early in 1983 as the photos show. Why was this? It is fun to speculate. Perhaps they tried to re-use the BPs from year to year as much as possible. With Seaver traded away in 1981 and 1982 and his number surely to be retired, they never made a 41 BP...they had it specially made and went with the block font when he returned. This is important to know, because of all the Mets BPs, the Seaver would be worth the most.

Doodles
10-21-2011, 04:50 AM
This is not correct -- I have seen many Mets BP jerseys from the early 80s (and own several), and it's surprising how many of them have serifs on the numbers as opposed to the non-serif style you are used to. I kept a couple just because I enjoyed the fact that they were different. In fact, if you look through Topps cards of this era (circa 1981-1983), you should be able to find many uniform numbers in this alternate font. I suppose there was not a whole lot of quality control back then.

They should all hjave serifs before 1984...go back and check the years...I don't remember non-serif BP fonts (except Seaver) until 1984. The yearbook photos all have serifs.

Doodles
10-21-2011, 04:56 AM

Remember also, those two fonts are similar...the 1, 2, 4, and 7 are the only numbers that really look different.

TNTtoys
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I have already written to the seller, and thought I'd post a blurb here as well.

http://www.gottahaveit.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=1735&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=1973-Willie-Mays-New-York-Mets-Signed-%26-Inscribed-Worn-Jersey

Purported to be a 1973 Willie Mays jersey, this is nothing more than a 1981-1983 style Mets batting practice jersey that was later signed by Willie Mays.

The #24 (if original) would have been worn by a non-rostered spring training invitee, as no Met player or coach wore the # from 1980 through 1989. 1979 was Mays' last year as a coach, and this style BP debuted 2 years later.

If the #24 was not original, the jersey is a team issued blank (and this is highly likely -- in fact I have seen a couple lately) that was later customized. Also, if this is the case, the owner should have done his homework!!

All,

An update -- after review of the information I provided, the auction house has pulled the item. Kudos on them.

Nick

TNTtoys
10-21-2011, 11:44 AM
They should all hjave serifs before 1984...go back and check the years...I don't remember non-serif BP fonts (except Seaver) until 1984. The yearbook photos all have serifs.

Here's a 1982 BP without a serif --

Doodles
10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Here's a 1982 BP without a serif --

Ok...I was referring to the home BP with Mets script...I don't know much about the NY ones.