The one game used item you wish you never sold.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gridiron Heroes
    • Mar 2011

The one game used item you wish you never sold.

What's the one game used item you wish you never sold. For me, there have been many, but more than anything else that I've sold I wish I could have back was the first piece I sold. Kelley clear shell Detroit Lions game used helmet to Jim Parker. Now deceased, but loved and respected as one of the early helmet gurus in the hobby and one of the finest people I've ever had the honor to meet and call friend. This was the most beautiful helmet I've ever seen and still regret selling, although it sparked a great friendship. Jim also passed worlds of knowledge about football helmets to me in our many conversations.

Shawn Kennedy
    gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
    GridironHeroes.net
  • jake33
    • Nov 2005

Re: The one game used item you wish you never sold.

Tough choice but comes down to

Rob Johnson 2002 Bucs game sued jersey, offered the guy TRIPLE what I sold it to him for and still wouldn't budge

Comment

• Shipp_96
      • Feb 2011

For me it would be either my Ray Durham game worn A's helmet (due to I met Ray at a public signing and he got such a kick out of holding it again) or my Raul Ibanenz game worn Pilots helmet from MLB auctions. That was rough because it was photo matched to the one game the M's wore those unis. Plus to see where Raul has gone from there in his career with Philly, would have made it all the more special.

Comment

• zookerman182
        • Jul 2007

My ryan braun 2006 Huntsville Stars AA uncracked game used black sam bat.

Ive never seen it or one like it since.
        Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

• flaco1801
          • Nov 2005

Just remember collectors never SELL... you may wanna debate that comment but i believe it...

Comment

• BostonSportsFan
            Banned
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by flaco1801
            Just remember collectors never SELL... you may wanna debate that comment but i believe it...

Unfortunately if it is that vs. putting food on the table for your family, or trying to pay medical bills etc. that may influence or force your hand. As a collector for over 3 decades I can say that there have been times when I had zero choice as family and responsibilities on that end come before any collectible 100% of the time.

Joe

Comment

• geoff
              • Nov 2005

Jimmy Rollins game used bat mlb authenticated.I think a forum member had or has the bat though.

Comment

• Jeffredsfan
                • Sep 2008

Ahhhh, you brought up bad memories!!! I had a game used, all original 1969 Houston Astros home shooting star jersey of Cesar Geronimo. Bought it in 1984, sold it in 1986 - regretted every second of my life since then (or at lest that part of my life)

Comment

• lakeerie92
                  • Oct 2008

Chipper Jones game used bat. It was uncracked with tons of use directly from the Braves. I sold it to make a purchase of a Josh Hamilton that ended up getting sold out from under me. The bat was relisted recently, but the buyer had it signed with the inscription "Go Braves" I don't like signed bats so I passed.
                  Russell Wuerffel
                  Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
                  lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• Baseball83
                    • Feb 2008

1974 Hank Aaron game worn home jersey. painful. very painful

Comment

• Jeffredsfan
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Baseball83
                      1974 Hank Aaron game worn home jersey. painful. very painful

You've got me trumped, my friend! My condolences.

Comment

• xpress34
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BostonSportsFan
                        Unfortunately if it is that vs. putting food on the table for your family, or trying to pay medical bills etc. that may influence or force your hand. As a collector for over 3 decades I can say that there have been times when I had zero choice as family and responsibilities on that end come before any collectible 100% of the time.

Joe
                        +1

Also, it is a HOBBY and I am a COLLECTOR. Sometimes in order to obtain an item I covet, I must SELL or TRADE to acquire it.. I don't believe that makes me any less a collector.

I do also from time to time re-evaluate the direction my collection is going and make items available for sale that no longer fit my collecting trend. Again, that doesn't make me any less of a collector.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

That would be what was once my 1992 Cubs TBTC road of Derrick May. I kept it for 4-5 years, and only sold it due to financial difficulties. The buyer assured me that I would get first chance to repurchase it if he decided to let it go, and I was dumb enough to trust him...less than 6 months later, he stuck it in a Mastro auction at a reserve beyond my means. I never saw that one again.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• Gridiron Heroes
                            • Mar 2011

Hoarders don't sell. I'm a collector, not a hoarder. Every single person that I've personally known in the hobby, including myself, has sold items in their collection(s). It's part of the hobby and collecting. I've also traded numerous items as well. On that note, if I have an important piece that's Gopher related, I make sure to sell it to one of my partners so it stays in "our" collection. Same w/ rare Big Ten helmets.

Shawn Kennedy
                            gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
                            GridironHeroes.net

Comment

• solarlottry
                              • Jan 2009

Where should I start?!!!!!

After collecting for about 10 years I sold a fair amount of my collection as I was interested in other things. About 6 years ago the bug bit me again and I have been looking for some of the 49er gamers I sold in 1999.

The top 5 items I have sold:

Deion Sanders 1994 away throwback worn vs the Saints with team letter

Terrell Owens 1997 home gamer with nice use and repairs-purchased directly from a team source at training camp in 1998.

Jamie Williams 1993 away gamer with team letter-purchased from Dick Dobbins at a Cow Palace card show in SF.

John Taylor 1993 away gamer with team letter-nice use and repairs

Ricky Jackson 1994 home non throwback with team letter

If anyone has any of these items I will gladly pay you a hefty sum for any of them. They were all sold to BPH back in 1999 and Kim has no records of to whom they were sold.

I would love to find at least one of these shirts and will gladly pay a finders fee for information leading to the purchase of any of the listed gamers.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer. Paying a finders fee for quality pieces.

Paul
                              garciajones@yahoo.com

There are a few others but if I could find any one

Comment

Working...