PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Bulls Jersey in Grey Flannel Auction

CPuente57
10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26874&searchby=3&searchvalue=michael%20jordan&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=1995-96-Michael-Jordan-Chicago-Bulls-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Road-Jersey-%2872-10-Championship-Season%29

Thoughts?

nickacs
10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26874&searchby=3&searchvalue=michael%20jordan&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=1995-96-Michael-Jordan-Chicago-Bulls-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Road-Jersey-%2872-10-Championship-Season%29

Thoughts?

NOB looks good for that year, but I don't know for sure. I think any high end Bulls Jordan/Pippen item need to come with CharitaBulls letters for me to even make a bid. That's just my opinion though.
There's been soooo many MJ advertised "game worn" jersey over the years that I've found to be bogus that unless it comes straight from the Chicago Bulls, I don't touch it.

Good luck!

legaleagle92481
10-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Here is my concern with GFC they always have jerseys of guys like MJ, Montana, Rice and Marino in their auctions and my question is where do they get them all? These are hard to find jerseys of huge stars from an era where guys did not wear a new jersey every game. I would be very cautious about such. GFC has alot of great stuff in their auctions much with impeccable provenance such as being consigned by a player or a player's family or from companies like Steiner but this stuff worries me. I am not accussing them of anything just saying be careful.

trsent
10-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Here is my concern with GFC they always have jerseys of guys like MJ, Montana, Rice and Marino in their auctions and my question is where do they get them all?

Justin, great question. If you are really looking for an answer to this question, here is contact information for Grey Flannel Auctions and you should contact them and ask your question. No one on here will have the answer to this question, so you should use the contact information below, ask your question and post what answer(s) you receive.

Please advise what answer you receive after asking it to Grey Flannel:

Phone: (631) 288-7800
Email: Info@GreyFlannelAuctions.com

The answer you receive will be much more helpful than a blind comment which doesn't answer the question at hand expect divert speculation without helping determine if this jersey is good or not.

I do agree with the comments by nickacs about Chicago Bulls jerseys having letters from The CharitaBulls as there will always be some doubt otherwise no matter what you find with such an item. The tagging is right, the name and number location and slant appears fine, but otherwise what else can you go on?

legaleagle92481
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Justin, great question. If you are really looking for an answer to this question, here is contact information for Grey Flannel Auctions and you should contact them and ask your question. No one on here will have the answer to this question, so you should use the contact information below, ask your question and post what answer(s) you receive.

Please advise what answer you receive after asking it to Grey Flannel:

Phone: (631) 288-7800
Email: Info@GreyFlannelAuctions.com

The answer you receive will be much more helpful than a blind comment which doesn't answer the question at hand expect divert speculation without helping determine if this jersey is good or not.

I do agree with the comments by nickacs about Chicago Bulls jerseys having letters from The CharitaBulls as there will always be some doubt otherwise no matter what you find with such an item. The tagging is right, the name and number location and slant appears fine, but otherwise what else can you go on?

thats a question i would have if i were a buyer. i have no interest in basketball jerseys outside of the three i already own or older football so the answer really does not matter to me. i was just saying before someone bid on such an expensive item that if it were me bidding that is something i would want to know before i bid. i dont know how closely the original poster follows GFCs auction so I just wanted to point that out to him.

trsent
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
thats a question i would have if i were a buyer. i have no interest in basketball jerseys outside of the three i already own or older football so the answer really does not matter to me. i was just saying before someone bid on such an expensive item that if it were me bidding that is something i would want to know before i bid. i dont know how closely the original poster follows GFCs auction so I just wanted to point that out to him.

So you are going to create doubt but not follow up with your negative thoughts? Justin, I respect you. If you are going to go out on a limb, you should ask the questions instead of creating doubt without asking the source who is available via telephone or email with little effort.

mickeymbz
11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Here is my concern with GFC they always have jerseys of guys like MJ, Montana, Rice and Marino in their auctions and my question is where do they get them all? These are hard to find jerseys of huge stars from an era where guys did not wear a new jersey every game. I would be very cautious about such. GFC has alot of great stuff in their auctions much with impeccable provenance such as being consigned by a player or a player's family or from companies like Steiner but this stuff worries me. I am not accussing them of anything just saying be careful.
100% behind you in this statement... MJ's from gfc always seem to be a red road 95/96. is this a non-seller from the past summer auction?

solarlottry
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Grey Flannel always seems to have the same superstars auction after auction. If I could come up with that many legit Joe Montana, Steve Young, Emmitt Smith, MJ, Bird etc. jerseys, I would be a millionaire!

One thing I have to question is where is the team documentation? In 1995 the 49ers sold their jerseys via MOS and issued team letters. I knew MOS's Mike Weiss fairly well and had the opportunity to look thru all of the boxes of gamers as they came in. Each shirt had a team letter, which Mike took great care in keeping matched up with a jersey (in 95, unlike 1994 where most shirts had a letter from a specific game, the letters were generic "1995 season" letters).

I can understand how a letter can become lost but to not have ANY letters for late 80s-1990s gamers, seems unrealistic. Take a look thru GF's old catalogs and check out many of their listings. Many more items had letters back then from the team or player, rather than todays PSA/DNA junk. I can list a # of 49er gamers, from memory that had team letters, that were sold by GF. The reason I can is because I own or wish to own many of these great items!

I am not saying their items are not genuine but the onus seems to be on the buyer to prove an item good rather than the other way around.

I recently researched a Garrison Hearst UGA gamer that Legendary had at auction and found it to be completely different from the actual game jersey worn in the 93 Citrus Bowl. This research took all of an hour. Why cant these so called "expert authenticators" do this? It is their JOB to authenticate items they are selling yet they fail over and over.

I am glad the FBI is finally investigating these crooks. Maybe with someone looking over their shoulder, these auction houses will finally police themselves and clean up their act.

By the way the Hearst jersey was removed from the auction soon after I emailed them my findings.

Always buying 49er gamers and any 1994 49er GU item!!! Paying a finders fee and I am not cheap!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

CPuente57
11-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm not trying to ask a dumb question, but if I were to ask Grey Flannel the source of the jersey, would the give me the answer?

nickacs
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
You can try, but most auction houses will not reveal the source/consignor if asked. I've done this before with another auction house and was told flat out "No".

IMO, I've been searching for true "game worn" MJ jerseys for the last decade+ and I've seen it all, good and bad. But from my experience, any "real" MJ jersey from the mid/late 90's MJ Bulls jerseys originate from the yearly Chicago CharitaBulls auction. That's why I'm surprised this one doesn't, but while it doesn't mean the jersey is not "game worn", I would be verrryyy skeptical as where it came from. The jersey characteristic do "style match" 100%, but as far as it being really "game worn", there's no way to tell by the auction photos.

As the saying goes, it can't hurt to ask! Good luck