PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals manager La Russa announces retirement

griffeyfan
10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
We have to assume Duncan will retire, too. Now wondering if this means the likelihood of Pujols leaving is significantly stronger today.

griffeyfan
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cardinals-larussaretires

SkubeBats
10-31-2011, 09:51 AM
As a Brewers fan I'm GLAD he's gone!

Birdbats
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Congratulations to Tony and best wishes for a happy retirement.

La Russa's retirement means nothing regarding Pujols. Albert will sign a long-term deal in St. Louis or somewhere else. Tony might have managed maybe one more year. So, Albert was going to play without Tony soon enough no matter what.

I guess the only question at this point is, what will the Rays want as compensation for letting Maddon out of his contract? :D

frikativ54
10-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Way to go out on top. He will always be remembered for 2011 in St. Louis.

Astros7
10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Just thought of something because I've never paid attention in the past. Who manages next years All-Star game for the National League?

freddiefreeman5
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Take McGwire with you please. I hate it when they show his mug in the dugout. All I can think of is cheater.

sox83cubs84
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Tony was annoying and whiny on the field, but off the field it was hard to find a classier or more intelligent guy. His work with animal rescue is a major part of his off-field persona.

I hope to see him enshrined in Cooperstown soon.

Dave Miedema

gingi79
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Just thought of something because I've never paid attention in the past. Who manages next years All-Star game for the National League?

The honor goes to the manager not the team. He'd be invited to coach the National League team, retired or not. If he declines, I believe Ron Roenicke of the Milwaukee Brewers would be selected as he was the manager of the second best NL team.

70to66
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm a Cardinals fan and want Maddon also.

rj_lucas
10-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I really thought Tony would return next year. The Cards had already picked up his option and he would have blown by John McGraw for second most managerial wins of all time. But I guess there's something to be said for going out on top. I don't think the 5 year HoF waiting period applies to managers, which makes Tony a lock for 2014 (next time managers appear on the ballot). Incredible to consider that in 33 years managing, Tony had only 9 losing seasons.

So, does the 'Secret Weapon' get a look here as a possible replacement?

panthrotc
11-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Take McGwire with you please. I hate it when they show his mug in the dugout. All I can think of is cheater.

Love him or hate him , McGwire played a big role In getting alot of those young guys to Produce. He worked alot with David Freese.

He also had. Role in Lance Berkman once again becoming He Man 's cat aka
Battle Cat aka the big puma.

panthrotc
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Tony was annoying and whiny on the field, but off the field it was hard to find a classier or more intelligent guy. His work with animal rescue is a major part of his off-field persona.

I hope to see him enshrined in Cooperstown soon.

Dave Miedema

Dave,
You still got any McGwire stuff left ?

freddiefreeman5
11-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Love him or hate him , McGwire played a big role In getting alot of those young guys to Produce. He worked alot with David Freese.

He also had. Role in Lance Berkman once again becoming He Man 's cat aka
Battle Cat aka the big puma.
I don't hate him. I just have zero respect for him.

sox83cubs84
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Dave,
You still got any McGwire stuff left ?

Haven't had anything for years...sorry.

Dave M.