PDA

View Full Version : Holograms: Essential or Eyesore?

ryan4fregosi
09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd like to ask the panel what they think of Authentication Holograms being placed on jerseys, either by MLB or a third-party.

Personally, I don't mind the practice, if the hologram is applied in an unobtrusive spot on the jersey, say in the tail or in the collar by the tagging. Unfortunately, most holograms I've seen are stuck right in the middle of the back, and often on a number. I admit that this has been a dealbreaker for me when weighing possible purchases. (That means you, ASI.)

Anyway, that's my 2p. Bank's open!

allstarsplus
09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Steiner and MLB put them generally on the Majestic tag which I like as the placement for a hologram. Definitely don't like them on the jersey # on the back.

trsent
09-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Steiner and MLB put them generally on the Majestic tag which I like as the placement for a hologram. Definitely don't like them on the jersey # on the back.

Blame Upper Deck Authenticated.

They were first to put holograms on the bottom tags, but then they found people liked to frame jerseys, so they started putting the hologram on the number on the back of the jersey as usually players such as Michael Jordan autographed the back of the jersey.

I have bought early Michael Jordan framed autographed UDA jerseys that had no visible hologram. Upon removing the jersey from the frame I found the hologram on the old Champion tag.

jake33
09-21-2006, 07:30 AM
I always take the hologram off the jersey and then I jsut put it on the COA or LOA if it came with one, for example the 7 Tampa Tarpons jersey i bought from the MLB auction, the hologram has the authentication number on it which garners an "added value" to some collectors so I just put those on on the COA's that they provided.

Same for any ASI jersey I have owned or currently own

PK
09-21-2006, 08:16 AM
The Detroit Red Wings use a hologram with serial #, one for the LOA and one for the item. The problem is the hologram does not stick to the jersey, keeps falling off

I had to put the hologram from the jersey and put it on a piece of wax paper and put it in a zip lock bag.

I think it adds a nice touch, but does not do much good in a zip lock. Hopefully everyone is keeping accurate records, thats the main part.

ahuff
09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I guess they are essential if you are buying from a place that you would expect to have a hologram. However, I don't understand the logic of them. Afterall, they are easily removed and appear as though they can even fall off. They seem like a very short term solution. Meigray's system is certainly better...they can't be messed with real easily, but I suppose a determined person could do it.

ryan4fregosi
09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
At least it's good to know holograms can be removed without leaving residue on the number or otherwise damaging it.

indyred
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I guess they are essential if you are buying from a place that you would expect to have a hologram. However, I don't understand the logic of them. Afterall, they are easily removed and appear as though they can even fall off. They seem like a very short term solution. Meigray's system is certainly better...they can't be messed with real easily, but I suppose a determined person could do it.
Agreed, Meigray with there serial # tag sewn in tag is the best, that also goes along with same serial # LOA.....I don't mind holograms at all. THe MLB one is great, when you can verify the serial and item on there site. I think holograms help cut down on the fakes and bring peace of mind.....

sportscentury
09-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Clearly, this is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I think they are brutal. If you have to have one on a bat, the knob or barrel end is least obvious. On a jersey, inside of jersey is preferable. In general, though, I think they look awful.

Reid

Frank
09-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I usually take them off... :)