PDA

View Full Version : How can this be a Chuck Long?

sox83cubs84
10-31-2011, 09:37 PM
This jersey is being offered on eBay as a game-used late 1980s Chuck Long Lions jersey.

Problems are, Long last played for the Lions in 1989, retired after 1990, and the jersey has the NFL neck logo first used in 1991.:eek:

Ebay would not process my inquiry to the seller.

The two LOAs "authenticating" the jersey (Lampson and Mile High) don't exactly inspire much confidence, either.

Dave Miedema

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z396/kristanrichmond/CA21-1.jpg (http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z396/kristanrichmond/?action=view&current=CA21-1.jpg)

G1X
11-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Dave,

Actually, this jersey "could be". Long did not retire after the 1990 season. He returned to the Lions in 1991 although he did not attempt a pass in the regular season. Erik Kramer and Rodney Peete split time as the starting quarterback. Andre Ware was also on the roster and got into at least one game.

I cannot say with any certainty that Long dressed for any games and held the clipboard or if he saw any action in the preseason. Perhaps a Lions collector can shed more light on these issues.

Two things of note. First, the Lions wore a JRT memorial patch in 1991 in memory of the passing of GM John Russell Thomas. If the jersey was worn by Long in a game, it will hopefully show evidence that the patch was removed. Thomas passed away in March 1991, so I am assuming that the patch was worn all season including the preseason, but it is best that a Lions collector or anyone else with such knowledge comment on that issue. (THis becomes a moot point if there are signs that a patch has been removed.)

If no signs that a patch has been removed - and no evidence to the contrary that the Lions wore the JRT patch in both the preseason and regular season, then this is proablby no more than a "team-issued" jersey. HOWEVER, I have a Bills "Throwback" of Chris Draft from 2009 that has no AFL patch on the shoulder, and I haev been able to photo match it to the game. The point here is that anything is possible in these types of scenarios.

Second, the NFL neck logo on this jersey is typical of Lions jerseys when the logo made its debut in 1991. Instead of being on the collar, the logo was placed on the mesh portion of the jersey just below the collar. This is consistent on many of the Lions jersye I obtained in a large bulk buy from the team in 1999.

DISCLAIMER: I am not stating that this jersey is either game-worn, team-issued, or other as I would need to see the jersey in person and hold it in my hand to form my own personal assessment and opinion. Since I am not an authenticator nor claim to be one, I am simply pointing out facts about the Lions 1991 jerseys based on my personal experiences.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Dewey2007
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Looks like Long appeared in the 1991 NFC championship game for the Lions. He had one rush for -1 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chucklong/2501788/gamelogs?season=1991

Hi Dave,

Actually, this jersey "could be". Long did not retire after the 1990 season. He returned to the Lions in 1991 although he did not attempt a pass in the regular season. Erik Kramer and Rodney Peete split time as the starting quarterback. Andre Ware was also on the roster and got into at least one game.

I cannot say with any certainty that Long dressed for any games and held the clipboard or if he saw any action in the preseason. Perhaps a Lions collector can shed more light on these issues.

Two things of note. First, the Lions wore a JRT memorial patch in 1991 in memory of the passing of GM John Russell Thomas. If the jersey was worn by Long in a game, it will hopefully show evidence that the patch was removed. Thomas passed away in March 1991, so I am assuming that the patch was worn all season including the preseason, but it is best that a Lions collector or anyone else with such knowledge comment on that issue. (THis becomes a moot point if there are signs that a patch has been removed.)

If no signs that a patch has been removed - and no evidence to the contrary that the Lions wore the JRT patch in both the preseason and regular season, then this is proablby no more than a "team-issued" jersey. HOWEVER, I have a Bills "Throwback" of Chris Draft from 2009 that has no AFL patch on the shoulder, and I haev been able to photo match it to the game. The point here is that anything is possible in these types of scenarios.

Second, the NFL neck logo on this jersey is typical of Lions jerseys when the logo made its debut in 1991. Instead of being on the collar, the logo was placed on the mesh portion of the jersey just below the collar. This is consistent on many of the Lions jersye I obtained in a large bulk buy from the team in 1999.

DISCLAIMER: I am not stating that this jersey is either game-worn, team-issued, or other as I would need to see the jersey in person and hold it in my hand to form my own personal assessment and opinion. Since I am not an authenticator nor claim to be one, I am simply pointing out facts about the Lions 1991 jerseys based on my personal experiences.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

sox83cubs84
11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the contributions, guys.

Maybe I need to find a new football website. The one I used (www.databasefootball.com (http://www.databasefootball.com)) shows 1990 as Long's last year, and no mention of any 1991 season participation.

Dave Miedema

Dewey2007
11-02-2011, 12:54 AM
NFL.com's historical player section is a good resource. pro-football-reference.com is a good one too.

Probably more info then you wanted but I took a quick look on my newspaper archive and Long was cut by the Rams at the end of the 1991 preseason and was signed by the Lions on November 4th and was the 3rd string QB the rest of the season.

Thanks for the contributions, guys.

Maybe I need to find a new football website. The one I used (www.databasefootball.com (http://www.databasefootball.com)) shows 1990 as Long's last year, and no mention of any 1991 season participation.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
NFL.com's historical player section is a good resource. pro-football-reference.com is a good one too.

Probably more info then you wanted but I took a quick look on my newspaper archive and Long was cut by the Rams at the end of the 1991 preseason and was signed by the Lions on November 4th and was the 3rd string QB the rest of the season.

No, Dewey, that info is what I was hoping databasefootball.com would provide. I'll start checking out the 2 sites you suggested. Thanks for adding to this.

Dave Miedema