PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Pujols...

xpress34
11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Per various reports on MLB Network, ESPN, etc there will be NO Team Signed World Series Ball made available this year as the fee Pujols was asking to add his signature to the balls would make them cost prohibitive to sell.

This is the crap that torques me off... these guys make MILLIONS and then decide to squeeze out the fans that actually pay their salary due to their own greed.

I only have one question for AP (since he has it stitched into his shoes now) - WWJD?

- Smitty

both-teams-played-hard
11-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I only have one question for AP (since he has it stitched into his shoes now) - WWJD?

Most JC signatures have been proven to be an autopen.

xpress34
11-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Most JC signatures have been proven to be an autopen.

Hahaha... that was pretty good...

Unless they're written in red (isn't that supposed to be his 'actual' words)...

frikativ54
11-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Per various reports on MLB Network, ESPN, etc there will be NO Team Signed World Series Ball made available this year as the fee Pujols was asking to add his signature to the balls would make them cost prohibitive to sell.

This is the crap that torques me off... these guys make MILLIONS and then decide to squeeze out the fans that actually pay their salary due to their own greed.

- Smitty

How much did Pujols want?

xpress34
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
How much did Pujols want?

That has not been published. Only the comments from the StL Cardinals and MLB that his fee would make the cost of the ball 'cost prohibitive' to consumers.

My guess would be that he is asking somewhere in the $400 - $500 range per ball if it would make the team ball 'cost prohibitive'...

- Smitty

P.S. - this is only a GUESS

legaleagle92481
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Really? Steiner sent an email last week saying they were taking preorders for one with Albert.

maverick14
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Doesn't surprise me much. If you watch the video of Freese after the walk-off, the fan who caught the ball asked if he could get a team photo signed. Freese replied saying something about Albert not doing it to the fan. Even the pros know he won't sign it seems :rolleyes:

jake33
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
i never have a problem with anyone cashing in on their name.

And I certainyl think my fandom of the Rays and the small $3,000 I spend a year in merch, game used and tickets "pays" anyone's salary directly. Indirectly yes, but we as the public has accepted and tolerated our own treatment.

No player owes any fan anything in my opinion. Could it be considered rude, i guess by some people's standards.

Also, I also do not think athletes are overpaid AT ALL. Look at the top 700 people in most professions in this country, most of them are all making more than a very good percentage of athletes and can do their jobs for a couple decades. Most pro sports careers (baseball has exceptions) last on the high end 15 years. And athletes also get about 42% taken out of taxes and union fees. No they shouldn't get sympathy really, but keep in mind they are the best at what they do and millions of people have tried their same sport and failed to excel.

Guys like Peyton Manning have almost single handedly doubled the value of the franchise by their play on the field.

What value has Pujols added to St. Louis in general? Do they even make the playoffs without him? Hey, I dislike him as much as anyone, but off the field eh should be able to do what he wants and I am all for anyone cashing in on their own name. It is tough enough to make a dollar as it is, do what you have to do. And yes, he makes millions and blah, blah blah, it is is right to do it, as it is anyones right to dislike it.

Believe me if I was a pro athlete, I would be far worse than the majority of these guys on all levels.

flota89
11-04-2011, 03:18 PM
This report is unconfirmed.

xpress34
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Really? Steiner sent an email last week saying they were taking preorders for one with Albert.

Then maybe they think they will sell... what was their $$$ on the preorders?

This information was put out by MLB Network yesterday and has legs on the web, so maybe the preorders will be cancelled. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm just reporting what I heard and read like so many others do on this site...

All the best -

Smitty

rj_lucas
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Guess you heard wrong, huh?

flota89
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
RJ Lucas, That's awesome!

Can you post a link to the site that is selling those signed baseballs?

Thanks!

-Tyler

xpress34
11-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Where is it available? I can't find it on Steiner, MLB or Cardinals sites...

xpress34
11-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Found it available here:

http://spotlightauthentics.com/st-louis-cardinals-autographed-baseball-team-signed.jpg

Spotlight Authentics (http://spotlightauthentics.com/st.louis-cardinals-autographed-baseball-team-signed.htm)

And if the price is any indication, Albert is getting $500+ per ball he signs. How did I determine or guess at this... I'm use to seeing prices slashed and dropped. On their site, the price of $1299.99 is slashed out and the NEW price is HIGHER - $1999.99 so I guess they anted up and paid Albert's asking price and raised their ball prices by $700.00.

- Smitty

ironmanfan
11-05-2011, 09:03 AM
is this outfit legit??? I can't tell if those Cardinals signatures are legit, but looking at their site, their Yogi Berra 8x10 is bad......

don't have a good feeling overall

flaco1801
11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
The Berra Auto doesnt look like what I've seen before but quick calculation makes him 86...maybe time has taken its toll...

slambam
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't know who to believe in this one. That site has the balls for sale, and this looks like Albert is just asking for his standard autograph fee. I wish I could get $250 to sign my name...

http://www.businessinsider.com/cardinals-wont-be-autographing-world-series-balls-because-pujols-demanded-too-much-money-2011-11

According to Darren Rovell of CNBC, the signing tradition was scrapped because Pujols' demands "made ball cost prohibitive." Rovell also noted that Pujols has an autograph fee of approximately $250, which is the same amount charged by Alex Rodriguez.

frikativ54
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Found it available here.

Doesn't even include the whole team.

worldchamps
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
For what it is worth, he signed here (Dallas) at the hotel during the world series. I got him the first day they were in town, then I heard he signed the next day too. The last day the crowd was pretty big and he didn't sign.

OaklandAsFan
11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
He signs quite often when he is in town to play the Dbacks (usually just 8X10's and baseballs though)

When he was inducted into the Arizona Fall League HoF a few years back he spent about 25 min signing autographs that night before the commencement started.

xpress34
11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
He signs quite often when he is in town to play the Dbacks (usually just 8X10's and baseballs though)

When he was inducted into the Arizona Fall League HoF a few years back he spent about 25 min signing autographs that night before the commencement started.

That's funny, because when the Cardinals are in Denver, he 'might' sign ONCE at the field and only if your in the front row and getting crushed by everyone trying to get through.

As far as I know though, same thing - NO Bats and NO Jerseys - ONLY Photos and Balls... and only Team Balls or Side Panels at that.

This year, the entire Cardinals team were lousy signers here... even Matt Holliday who still has a large fan base here avoided the autograph areas by leaving in a personal vehicle and not signing at the hotel or out back at the ballpark. He did sign one day at the stadium over the dugout that I know about (I got my AS Jsy and Hat signed there).

Pujols signed one day at the hotel and no more the rest of the trip. Berkman didn't sign at all, neither did Yadi.

LaRussa signed on Sunday in the park and McGwire actually signed a couple of days.

I'm still waiting for RJ Lucas to reveal the site he found the team signed ball on. For all we know, he got the ball signed IP during the series? The picture alone that he provided doesn't prove anything.

Has anyone else found a team WS ball available anywhere (Steiner, Mounted, etc.)?

Smitty

xpress34
11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know who to believe in this one. That site has the balls for sale, and this looks like Albert is just asking for his standard autograph fee. I wish I could get $250 to sign my name...

http://www.businessinsider.com/cardinals-wont-be-autographing-world-series-balls-because-pujols-demanded-too-much-money-2011-11

Slam -

I'm sure that figure is his normal fee if he is doing a Private Signing, but my guess would be that he 'upped the ante' after they won the WS, thus making the ball 'cost prohibitive'.

I'm sorry, I don't care whose on the ball, no modern team WS ball is worth $2,0000.00.

For $2,000.00 I can buy certified VINTAGE WS and Team balls loaded with HOFers on them. Just my .02.

Smitty

legaleagle92481
11-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Then maybe they think they will sell... what was their $$$ on the preorders?

This information was put out by MLB Network yesterday and has legs on the web, so maybe the preorders will be cancelled. I guess we will have to wait and see.

All the best -

Smitty

The email was confusing, I went to the site it appears that they are single signed balls signed by select players. They have Frese and Pujols on WS balls. Albert is going for 499 dollars. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.steinersports.com/albert-pujols-2011-world-series-baseball.html

xpress34
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
The email was confusing, I went to the site it appears that they are single signed balls signed by select players. They have Frese and Pujols on WS balls. Albert is going for 499 dollars. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.steinersports.com/albert-pujols-2011-world-series-baseball.html

LE -

That's CHEAP. Single signed Pujols WS balls on MLB done through Mounted Memories are $750!!!

- Smitty

rj_lucas
11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm still waiting for RJ Lucas to reveal the site he found the team signed ball on. For all we know, he got the ball signed IP during the series? The picture alone that he provided doesn't prove anything.

http://www.webstore.com/2011-St-Louis-Cardinals-Team-Signed-World-Series-Baseball-,name,12488956,auction_id,auction_details

xpress34
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM

RJ - just saw your posting for the auction site. And based on the fact you have an auction for ONE ball that someone got signed, I did NOT hear wrong.

What I am talking about is that the StL Cardinals themselves and MLB will NOT be making Team signed WS Balls available in BULK - not a SINGLE ball that someone has up on an auction.

Nowhere on the site you linked does it say that more than ONE ball is available.

Webstore is basically another version of eBay so this does NOT disprove the report.

- Smitty

xpress34
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
http://spotlightauthentics.com/st-louis-cardinals-autographed-baseball-team-signed.jpg

Spotlight Authentics (http://spotlightauthentics.com/st.louis-cardinals-autographed-baseball-team-signed.htm)

Hell, even this site doesn't mention if more than ONE is available.

As of right now, a VERIFIABLE StL Cardinals 2011 WS TEAM SIGNED Ball w/ Pujols has not been made available by any of the major distributors:

Steiner
MLB
Mounted Memories

- Smitty

Griffey24fan
11-06-2011, 10:37 PM
The team ball posted is not authentic. That is not a real Pujols signature.

xpress34
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
The team ball posted is not authentic. That is not a real Pujols signature.

Griff -

That's kind of my point.

I posted that MLB has announced that NO 2011 Team Signed WS Champion Balls would be made available due to Pujols fee making the ball 'cost prohibitive'.

So far, the only two 'team signed WS balls' to surface are questionable at best and both are on unknown sites.

None of the major players have made a 2011 WS Champion Team Signed ball available for sale...

- Smitty

yankees506
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
id be weary of any "team" signed items that arent mlb authenticated, if albert is this uptight about his auto i doubt he'd be signing team signed balls through the back door. both balls here are questionable imo

flota89
11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Has anyone considered that Albert chooses to charge so much because the money goes to a good cause? Albert uses revenue from his signings and other auctions to help his Pujols Family Foundation in many cases. He knows the market ... and he knows that the more he signs and the cheaper he signs the less he will get in the future. There are two sides to every story. I couldn't really care less if he signs autographs. Most "fans" choose to bash him for ridiculous reasons anyway.

momen55
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
when we had REAL ballplayers, they got paid pennies and signed all day and free.
now these overpaid babies have to charge for a chicken scratch on a ball! this society has gone to hell in a handbasket. i make 20M a year, but i still want $500 for my sig on a ball or photo or whatever. on reason why i don't collect this crap and never will. the ones that like to spend money on this stuff are the ones that keep it going.
not a ballplayer, but walter payton made a lot of money and still signed for free, at least the times i saw him. he signed for me at one of his night clubs i was at and was happy to do so. too much money has made these dummies think they are better than everyone else. $&*%$%.

OaklandAsFan
11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
its not the money that does that, its the adoration of the fans and the fact that they pretty much have everything done for them which gives them all a super inflated ego.

godwulf
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm embarrassed by the players who seem to exude the attitude that they're too good to sign autographs, or that they can't bring themselves to give their sig away; at the same time, I'm even more embarrassed at the guys (it's almost always guys) who show up at Fall League, ST, Instructional League games, etc, with big binders full of cards and want a player to sign 10-40 of the same card. I actually admire the players who, so confronted, will say, "Just two" or "Just five". Those greedy dealers make it very difficult for somebody's who is just trying to get a single baseball or a photo signed, and the players who are really nice about it, and actually stand there and sign all those cards, are just enabling the behavior.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant. Back on-topic: If someone like Pujols wants to start charging three figures for his signature at some point down the road, when he's retired and not making millions, more power to him. People are going to be wanting his autograph twenty years from now, I'm sure. But while he's an active player, he should be signing at every opportunity, for his fans, just like players have been doing since the game went pro 150 years ago. During DBacks ST, the players are scheduled, for a couple of hours a week, to sign items for the team to contribute to charities, and no one is exempt.

Incidentally, an early report on a young player's signing propensities: Anthony Gose, who will almost certainly be a Major Leaguer in the next year or two - definitely one of the "too good to sign" variety. I stood right next to his mother the other day, and couldn't get him to come over. :rolleyes:

rj_lucas
11-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Griff -

I posted that MLB has announced that NO 2011 Team Signed WS Champion Balls would be made available due to Pujols fee making the ball 'cost prohibitive'.

Your comments appear to be based on a rumor tweeted by Darren Rovell, which was based on a rumor not attributed to a source. Rovell has since removed the tweet from his account and is currently backpeddling in response to criticism:

#darrenrovell
"For any1 who thinks I have issues attributing to original sources, I challenge you to go back through all my tweets." (November 6)

I've read posts from you in the past and you strike me as a bright guy. Too bright to put stock in 162-character rumors based on rumors.

If you've stated everything as your opinion, I take no issue with it. But if you're characterizing this as reported fact, I respectfully challenge you to support your statements with verifiable, original attribution.

xpress34
11-07-2011, 10:06 AM
its not the money that does that, its the adoration of the fans and the fact that they pretty much have everything done for them which gives them all a super inflated ego.

Nail on the Head!

An example... Coors Field quit letting cabs drive in out back two years ago (after the infamous 'shoe bomber' incident on an airliner. (They say it's not racist - most of the cabbies in Denver are Muslim - but I digress)

Anyway, there have been players who have gotten out of the cab, asked the gate attendant to call someone, told the small group (usually LESS than 10 people) out back who are TRUE autograph seekers (The Dealers here stick to the hotels) that they 'don't have time' to sign right now while they just stand there for 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the cart to come pick them up. The funniest part is they are pro ATHLETES and the walk would have taken them less than 3 minutes to make!!!

If you don't want to sign, just say it and be honest - don't insult my intelligence with some BS excuse... as an example, a couple of years ago Lastings Milledge told us he couldn't sign because his 'balls hurt'... Aaron Rowand told us his hands were full (he had a rolling bag and a newspaper) while another player was signing for us with two bags and a cup of coffee... oh yeah, I've heard about every excuse.

That said, do I think players OWE me an autograph - absolutely not. BUT, I do deserve - at a minimum - to be treated with respect and as a human being. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have dumped entire collections of a player after seeing how they interact with fans if they are a complete douche.

Sorry for the 'off-topic' rant, but had to get t out there...

- Smitty

xpress34
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Your comments appear to be based on a rumor tweeted by Darren Rovell, which was based on a rumor not attributed to a source. Rovell has since removed the tweet from his account and is currently backpeddling in response to criticism:

#darrenrovell
"For any1 who thinks I have issues attributing to original sources, I challenge you to go back through all my tweets." (November 6)

I've read posts from you in the past and you strike me as a bright guy. Too bright to put stock in 162-character rumors based on rumors.

If you've stated everything as your opinion, I take no issue with it. But if you're characterizing this as reported fact, I respectfully challenge you to support your statements with verifiable, original attribution.

I don't know if it was Darren Rovell's tweet or not. The source I heard it stated on was 'Intentional Talk' on MLB Network.

Again, to date, the are NO 'verifiable' WS Team Signed Balls available through the Cardinals Store (or auctions), MLB Store (or auctions), Steiner, Mounted Memories, etc.

The ONE ball that you posted a link too is a one shot AUCTION site offer that - if legitimate - was probably signed over the course of the WS. The ONE ball that I posted has questionable signatures at best.

Again, to date the story has proven true as usually, this far past the Final Game of the WS (over a week) - Team signed balls have been offered for sale through one of the sources listed above.

If you're a Pujols fan, good for you. I met him in 2002 while working for Nike and sent a good 4-5 hours with him in the store. He was very nice then. Over the years, I have watched him (from my perspective) become more and more jaded and bitter towards the fans. To my point - when he came back in 2003 we talked for a few minutes at the hotel (he remembered me from Nike), 2004 he kinda half assed a wave, 2005 after making his 1st WS appearance wouldn't even acknowledge me and since then it's been worse each year they have been here. I'm not asking him to be my buddy, just be more open to the fans.

Just my .02

- Smitty

freddiefreeman5
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I like single signature baseballs better anyway.
The team signed balls look messy to me.

And the athletes charge what the public is willing to pay.
Are they greedy? Yes they are.
But the public could control the autograph prices.

OaklandAsFan
11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Incidentally, an early report on a young player's signing propensities: Anthony Gose, who will almost certainly be a Major Leaguer in the next year or two - definitely one of the "too good to sign" variety. I stood right next to his mother the other day, and couldn't get him to come over. :rolleyes:

Gose has been harder to get this AFL than Bryce Harper!

BU54CB
11-07-2011, 11:00 AM
i never have a problem with anyone cashing in on their name.

And I certainyl think my fandom of the Rays and the small $3,000 I spend a year in merch, game used and tickets "pays" anyone's salary directly. Indirectly yes, but we as the public has accepted and tolerated our own treatment.

No player owes any fan anything in my opinion. Could it be considered rude, i guess by some people's standards.

Also, I also do not think athletes are overpaid AT ALL. Look at the top 700 people in most professions in this country, most of them are all making more than a very good percentage of athletes and can do their jobs for a couple decades. Most pro sports careers (baseball has exceptions) last on the high end 15 years. And athletes also get about 42% taken out of taxes and union fees. No they shouldn't get sympathy really, but keep in mind they are the best at what they do and millions of people have tried their same sport and failed to excel.

Guys like Peyton Manning have almost single handedly doubled the value of the franchise by their play on the field.

What value has Pujols added to St. Louis in general? Do they even make the playoffs without him? Hey, I dislike him as much as anyone, but off the field eh should be able to do what he wants and I am all for anyone cashing in on their own name. It is tough enough to make a dollar as it is, do what you have to do. And yes, he makes millions and blah, blah blah, it is is right to do it, as it is anyones right to dislike it.

Believe me if I was a pro athlete, I would be far worse than the majority of these guys on all levels.

Just curious, if you're $3K doesn't pay salaries, then what does it pay for? The money has to come from somewhere.

godwulf
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
... as an example, a couple of years ago Lastings Milledge told us he couldn't sign because his 'balls hurt'...

When I was in the Navy, there was a saying that meant that you were full of crap about something: "Your ass hurts!" Don't know why that just came back to me. :rolleyes:

Gose has been harder to get this AFL than Bryce Harper!

The funny thing is, I didn't particularly want Gose's autograph - I just wanted him to sign the ball because it was one that he'd hit foul in a game earlier in the week, and collecting foul balls and getting them signed by the guy who hit them is one of my favorite Fall League activities. The Rafters didn't have a game till that night, but I went out to Phoenix Muni that morning just to get Gose to sign that ball; I hadn't even planned to stay for the whole game, but he told me, "After the game", then vanished after the game without a trace.

Even funnier - as I was fixing to leave, I saw a skinny Black kid in a Toronto uniform signing for a guy in the tunnel leading down to the locker room, and I heard the guy say what sounded like "Thanks, Anthony", so I quickly dug out the ball and passed it under the wire with a pen, and the player signs it, then turns away, and I realize that what the guy had actually said was, "Thanks, Adeiny"...Hechavarria. Well, it's signed, anyway, even if by the wrong guy.

Griffey24fan
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Again, both baseballs that are team signed in this page are 100% not authentic.

The Pujols on both baseballs is fake 100%.

Yes there may be some signed by him which were done IP during the World Series as it seems he signed on the road, however neither one of those are real. I am sure some will come out, at some point. Anyone who is wanting one wait until the winter warm up in St. Louis to get one signed before the season starts.

mbrieve
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I follow Rovell on twitter and during the World Series he mentioned that there was no commercially available 2006 Cardinals team signed baseball brought to market due to Pujols' high fee. He mentioned that in 2010 the same thing happened with the Giants and I believe he mentioned Tim Lincecum as the cost prohibitive player.

Rovell also mentioned that it only takes one of the star players to hold out for them not to do a ball. I believe in 2009, Steiner had a team signed Yankees ball, but it was missing one or two players (I believe A.J. Burnett was one of them). In that case, I'm guessing Steiner said, we have Jeter, ARod, Texeira, Rivera, etc., who is going to notice Burnett missing???

I think the anger is a bit misplaced. Pujols is clearing doing signings with the likes of Steiner and others. However, these companies have decided that the cost of a team ball including Pujols (and lets face it, you need Pujols), is more than most consumers are willing to pay, so why go through the hassle? It isn't Pujols saying no to signing team balls, it is the companies saying that the retail price would be cost prohibitive.

mbrieve
11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Let me just add that this situation isn't really as scandalous as it is being made out to be. For example, Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander are the biggest Detroit Tiger stars currently. The local promoters would love to bring them in for signings, but they have not been able to sign a deal with either one of them where the promoter believes they can make money (or break even). It is possible that for both of them that the money being offered isn't really worth their time (when you are making $20 million a year, what is a $100,000?).

So, is anyone to blame? If the promoter or player takes less than market value to please the general public, you will have dealers loading up and flipping the items on eBay...the market will always prevail. I just don't understand the outrage or the media (i.e. Rovell) hyping this story.

godwulf
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
That it might not be worth a player's time to do a paid signing, because he's just too damn rich to have to worry about making another hundred grand for an hour's work, does not explain why that player won't sign for his fans, for nothing. And if he's really all that worried about somebody making money off of his autograph, then reducing the Sellers' profit motive by giving it away at every opportunity - in effect, flooding the market with his autograph - would seem to be the logical solution.

Here in Phoenix, Luis Gonzalez is about as big a sports celebrity as one ever gets to be...but the owner of a memorabilia shop told me the other day that he can't sell Gonzo's autograph anymore because Gonzo walks around signing for everybody all the time.

mbrieve
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
That it might not be worth a player's time to do a paid signing, because he's just too damn rich to have to worry about making another hundred grand for an hour's work, does not explain why that player won't sign for his fans, for nothing. And if he's really all that worried about somebody making money off of his autograph, then reducing the Sellers' profit motive by giving it away at every opportunity - in effect, flooding the market with his autograph - would seem to be the logical solution.

Here in Phoenix, Luis Gonzalez is about as big a sports celebrity as one ever gets to be...but the owner of a memorabilia shop told me the other day that he can't sell Gonzo's autograph anymore because Gonzo walks around signing for everybody all the time.

You are right, but that is a different argument than what this thread was originally talking about. A team ball is not being marketed and sold this year because it was cost prohibitive to do it and the memorabilia companies didn't see a way to make a profit off of it.

As somebody who worked tirelessly on getting 2006 and 2007 Detroit Tigers team signed baseballs signed, I can attest to the fact that the amount of time, money and effort far exceeds what I could sell those baseballs for. Team signed items are some of the toughest items to complete and usually it isn't the stars that are a problem, it's often the role players that had short careers that are the toughest to track down to complete your item. Case in point, after working on several team signed 1984 Tigers pieces, the only player I need is Marty Castillo and nobody has heard from him in over a decade. if he did a paid signing in the Detroit area, I bet he could get $35+ per signature.

godwulf
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
You are right, but that is a different argument than what this thread was originally talking about. A team ball is not being marketed and sold this year because it was cost prohibitive to do it and the memorabilia companies didn't see a way to make a profit off of it.

It would be interesting to know what the "lesser gods" from that team were, in theory, going to be paid, had Pujols chosen to participate. I don't suppose it would have ever occurred to Albert that, by demanding as much as he did, he cost his less-well-compensated teammates some money. Now he gets nothing, and his teammates get nothing.

sox83cubs84
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM

That was a route the late Hall of Fame 3B Pie Traynor used, in tandem with an elite autograph collector of the day, Max Schrager of California. After being refused by Traynor yet again, Schrager, never one to not say what's on his mind, asked Traynor why he didn't sign. Traynor's response was that too many people were making money off the few autographs he signed. Schrager and Traynor then worked out an agreement, after Schrager convinced him that his reluctance to sign was what made his autographs pricey (for the era). Traynor signed 3x5s and other items in quantities for Schrager, who then sold the items at well under the market value of the era, all in an effort to make Traynor's autograph more desirable for collectors, and less so for dealers. It worked. Traynor, while signing a stack of index cards for Schrager, told an inquiring mind that "Mr. Schrager is helping me keep the price ofmy autograh down".

Dave Miedema

hdavid_27
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
For anyone who may be interested, my wife just called me to tell me that Sams Club is offering team signed 2011 Cardinals baseballs for sale for only $2000.00. :D She said Albert is listed as one of the signers, and it comes from a company in Florida. I will get more info if anyone wants it.

Mark17
11-09-2011, 07:47 PM

As somebody who worked tirelessly on getting 2006 and 2007 Detroit Tigers team signed baseballs signed, I can attest to the fact that the amount of time, money and effort far exceeds what I could sell those baseballs for. Team signed items are some of the toughest items to complete and usually it isn't the stars that are a problem, it's often the role players that had short careers that are the toughest to track down to complete your item. Case in point, after working on several team signed 1984 Tigers pieces, the only player I need is Marty Castillo and nobody has heard from him in over a decade. if he did a paid signing in the Detroit area, I bet he could get $35+ per signature.

Everyone here seems to find it logical that selling autographed baseballs makes no sense unless the people selling them can make money doing so. So... why can't the players make some dough, too, without it being considered "greedy." Why is it that only the dealers can have a profit margin?

Pujols makes many times as much money playing baseball as his teammates. Why shouldn't he likewise make many more times as much signing baseballs? Put another way, and relating it to game used, what's the price differential between a GU8 Cardinals common bat, and a GU8 Pujols?

Bottom line: Take anything Cardinals common, and if you compare it to Pujols, multiply it by a factor of 10 or 20.

godwulf
11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Everyone here seems to find it logical that selling autographed baseballs makes no sense unless the people selling them can make money doing so. So... why can't the players make some dough, too, without it being considered "greedy." Why is it that only the dealers can have a profit margin?

Pujols makes many times as much money playing baseball as his teammates. Why shouldn't he likewise make many more times as much signing baseballs? Put another way, and relating it to game used, what's the price differential between a GU8 Cardinals common bat, and a GU8 Pujols?

Bottom line: Take anything Cardinals common, and if you compare it to Pujols, multiply it by a factor of 10 or 20.

If Pujols were forced to pay 10-20 times as much for job-related expenses, like clubhouse fees, or for that matter things that everyone has to buy, like food and housing, that might begin to make some logical sense. No, he shouldn't be expected to give his autograph away to people who aren't even pretending that they aren't going to turn around and make money from it - reference my earlier rant about the auto-seekers with their binders full of duplicate cards - but causing your fellow players to lose out because you can't deal with the thought of only getting a "measly" $100 (or whatever the number) a signature, instead of the $250-$500 your ego tells you it's worth, is not reasonable, defensible, or Big League. It's being an arrogant jerk, imho.