PDA

View Full Version : Best method for storing footballs

short84
11-04-2011, 06:58 AM
I have put together a fairly nice collection of game used footballs. How is the best way to store them? I would appreciate any input -- thank you!

RaiderNationPDX
11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
As with most items in our hobby, out of direct sunlight and in a temperature-controlled environment is next to essential. Speaking specifically to footballs, direct sunlight - and to a far lesser degree some artificial light - will fade the ball (I've seen a Goodell ball that even within the span of a couple years was light tan on a panel and a half from sunlight exposure) and eventually begin to visibly degrade the leather's physical structure.

UV protected cases are readily available, but a simple acrylic case stored away from harsh, direct light usually suffices for me. This also serves the purpose of keeping dust off, which I've found to be a problem with my non-cased footballs. Have to hit those every few weeks with a soft nylon brush to get the accumulated dust off.

Other than that, I just wear gloves when I handle them (probably overkill) and make sure they're properly inflated (I usually inflate for storage to about 10-11 lbs instead of 13, though others may feel different)

joelsabi
11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Other than that, I just wear gloves when I handle them (probably overkill) and make sure they're properly inflated (I usually inflate for storage to about 10-11 lbs instead of 13, though others may feel different)

deflating slightly the bladder helps to preserve the bladder walls. removal from direct sunlight assists in avoiding cracks.

short84
11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Thank you very much for the replies. I appreciate your time and advise.

project 4
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much for the replies. I appreciate your time and advise.

+1. good advice!

NEFAN
11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
As with most items in our hobby, out of direct sunlight and in a temperature-controlled environment is next to essential. Speaking specifically to footballs, direct sunlight - and to a far lesser degree some artificial light - will fade the ball (I've seen a Goodell ball that even within the span of a couple years was light tan on a panel and a half from sunlight exposure) and eventually begin to visibly degrade the leather's physical structure.

UV protected cases are readily available, but a simple acrylic case stored away from harsh, direct light usually suffices for me. This also serves the purpose of keeping dust off, which I've found to be a problem with my non-cased footballs. Have to hit those every few weeks with a soft nylon brush to get the accumulated dust off.

I usually let out enough air to make it soft because I have had full balls bladders leak without any handling.

short84
11-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks again!!!! Wow, sometimes my speling sucks!

Preston
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks again!!!! Wow, sometimes my speling sucks!

+1 - I'm lucky I'm good at spelling!

(just giving you a hard time) :)