PDA

View Full Version : Bad Items From "The 6"

Eric
11-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Now that the other thread about the 6 people charged with a scheme to sell bad jerseys has been locked, I'm going to take the opportunity to open a new thread. If anyone has any specific information about the scheme, or how bad jerseys were consigned to the auction houses or sold to the card companies, post it here, or email me at ecky3@aol.com if you want it kept confidential.

If you had experiences where one of these dealers bought something from you and it ended up at auction as "game used," post it here.

If you worked in an auction house and heard of the scheme before it was made public, post it here. There must be people out there who can connect the dots. But we must deal in facts.

Eric

xpress34
11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Eric -

Just found a new link that basically covers the information previously discussed 'ad nauseum' in the other thread.

The only difference is this is the FBI's link and has contact info if anyone here has questions or information to add:

Six Men Charged with Fraud Involving Sports Memorabilia (http://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-releases/2011/six-men-charged-with-fraud-involving-sports-memorabilia)

I will be the first to point out that unlike the other links that were previously made available, the FBI does state the following in it's final paragraph on this page:

The public is reminded that indictments and informations contain only charges and are not evidence of guilt. The defendants are presumed innocent and are entitled to a fair trial at which the government has the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just to show I'm not opposed to making any information I might find totally transparent.

- Smitty

Eric
11-04-2011, 10:26 PM
As of now, I have made 3 attempts to talk with Panini, 1 to Topps and Upper Deck about the jerseys in their cards and have not received a response.

I will keep trying.
Eric

masp3392
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
As of now, I have made 3 attempts to talk with Panini, 1 to Topps and Upper Deck about the jerseys in their cards and have not received a response.

I will keep trying.
Eric

as a person who collects, but not as much as i've gotten into collecting game worn jerseys, this is disappointing to here that they wont even respond

camarokids
11-05-2011, 08:56 AM

I will keep trying.
Eric

It is nice to see you involved and posting on the forum again!

Fnazxc0114
11-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Did g/u universe sell any bad JO jersies?

Lokee
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Good question. Not sure how we would know the answer though.

Things around here have gotten very shady.

Eric
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Panini has not responded after 4 attempts on Twitter and 2 emails to employees
Topps has forwarded my request to the proper department
Nothing from Upper Deck.

Just wondering what the card companies have to say about the value of their items being called into question.

I will keep trying.
Eric

ChrisCavalier
11-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Things around here have gotten very shady.
Hello Mr. Clark,

Your quote above implies some type of impropriety here. As per the forum rules, if you wish to continue your membership here, please substantiate your claims with some evidence that things here have "gotten very shady".

I look forward to your response.

-Chris

chakes89
11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Didn't Fleer sell off a lot of their assets and stockpiled memorabilia when they went out of business a few years back?

If so, it would be interesting to see if any of those items can be tracked down, tracked back to Fleer, tracked back to who Fleer purchased it from and then checked for authenticity.

Time to have a little fun and starting digging around :cool:

legaleagle92481
11-09-2011, 12:05 AM

Since when was GUU in the jersey selling business?

Lokee
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Hello Mr. Clark,

Your quote above implies some type of impropriety here. As per the forum rules, if you wish to continue your membership here, please substantiate your claims with some evidence that things here have "gotten very shady".

I look forward to your response.

-Chris

Sure,

With all the hoopla surrounding JO, peoples ethics and some true colors shown. That is all. You gotta watch your back in the collecting world :)

Referring to no one in particular. Just a general statement.

Sorry If I offended you. No need to threaten banishment though as i did not call anyone any names like Troll's or anything.

chakes89
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Since when was GUU in the jersey selling business?
He may be talking about previous GUU Auctions but I could be mistaken

ChrisCavalier
11-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Sure,

With all the hoopla surrounding JO, peoples ethics and some true colors shown. That is all. You gotta watch your back in the collecting world :)

Referring to no one in particular. Just a general statement.

Sorry If I offended you. No need to threaten banishment though as i did not call anyone any names like Troll's or anything.
Actually, your statement is clearly intended to imply some form of impropriety on the part of GUU where none exists. This is not something that will be tolerated. As such, your account has been terminated.

I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Chris

SkubeBats
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
So what's going on here now people are getting banned for things they post. What about the other topic on these same 6 guys. We were told we could state anything without the chance of getting banned. In those posts there was a lot of pointing fingers and name calling and noone was banned there. Chris you yourself called me a lier and that was proven not to be true! You also called me a TROLL! Both of these comments are against forum rules and you weren't banned. So why is he banned for his comments. He didn't call anyone names or say anything that pionted fingers at you or GUU. What he stated I think was a general response to what has been happining on here in regards to these 6 guys and the other posts.

Fnazxc0114
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
G/U never sold any jersies on here, but I do remember a so called partnership between JO and G/U universe that allowed JO to sell their jersies on this site. It was a sticky for a while so Im not sure how anyone could have missed that.

Fnazxc0114
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
this is just one of the offers i was talking about.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=43429

SkubeBats
11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
You can see the other post about JO Sports selling thier items to us. Look under "Announcements section" and look for the post "Special offer for Game Used Universe members".

When you look at the items available you will see some itmes were from before 2008 when they had deals with NFL teams. Plus some of these items were from the time period of the FBI investigation. So who knows what those items were and if they were good or not??

CollectGU
11-09-2011, 10:28 AM
So what's going on here now people are getting banned for things they post. What about the other topic on these same 6 guys. We were told we could state anything without the chance of getting banned. In those posts there was a lot of pointing fingers and name calling and noone was banned there. Chris you yourself called me a lier and that was proven not to be true! You also called me a TROLL! Both of these comments are against forum rules and you weren't banned. So why is he banned for his comments. He didn't call anyone names or say anything that pionted fingers at you or GUU. What he stated I think was a general response to what has been happining on here in regards to these 6 guys and the other posts.

That banishment was a definite overreaction....What forum rule did he exactly break? Pissing you off? If I go back through some of the other threads, will I find multiple posts where the same "rules" have been broken without banishment?

Dave

BULBUS
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
That banishment was a definite overreaction....What forum rule did he exactly break? Pissing you off? If I go back through some of the other threads, will I find multiple posts where the same "rules" have been broken without banishment?

Dave

+1

ChrisCavalier
11-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Jamie,

I referred to you as a troll in the context of how it is used in our forum rules. That is, someone posting simply to disrupt the harmony of the forum. I also provided evidence to back-up that statement. They included the following which I will state here again:

1) You posted that you have a "friend" with confidential information who "think[s] if they will post you will get mad and ban them like anyone else." I then stated no one has ever been banned for any reason other than the fact that they violated the forum rules and, just to make sure they are clear, I gave my personal guarantee that they will not be banned if they state their opinions in accordance with the forum rules. Yet, your "friend" with all this confidential information never posted anything.

2) You state "[You were] asked by one of your moderates to ask you some questions as I did. [You knew] he should stand up and say something but he won't. He's the one with information not me. [You] don't know anything more then the rest of [us]." I asked the moderators and none of them said this statement is correct. You posted that Andrew Lang asked you to make the posts but that is not consistent with what Andrew stated.

3) We saw how you "want to thank all of you that has sent me private emails about all of this. It's good to know that I have so many people on here that like what I'm doing to rid our hobby of the bad guys that are out there." I asked why they would need to send private emails and that they could post it directly on the forum without any concerns about being banned as you alledged would happen. Yet again, nothing was posted from anyone.

I deal with empircial evidence and that is the reason my statement was made in accordance with what "trolling" means on the site. Again, it was based on empirical evidence and substantiated through the points above. You, on the other hand, stated JO was "nothing but a punk and a scam artist who should be sent away for his crimes like any other scum bag". To be very candid, if anyone should be banned it should be you and the only reason that has not happened is because we wanted to leave the topic open so others, who might have motives like yours, would come on and say we banned you only to stop the discussion which was clearly not the case. However, if this continues our opinion might change.

As for the banning of Lokee, it is based on the following rule:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

Lokee's post clearly implied there was some wrongdoing on the part of GUU which there was not. When I asked him to substantiate his claim he stated it was just a general statment, which it was not. It implied wrongdoing and "shady" activity. That is the reason for the banning.

Please note that I am not interested in trying to justify our need to administer the forum with you. If you are not happy with your ability to participate on the forum then please feel free to not participate. However, continued attempts to disrupt the harmony of the forum will no longer be tolerated.

Sincerely,
Chris

ChrisCavalier
11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
G/U never sold any jersies on here, but I do remember a so called partnership between JO and G/U universe that allowed JO to sell their jersies on this site. It was a sticky for a while so Im not sure how anyone could have missed that.
Hello Joshua,

This offer was made to GUU members similar to other offers made by entities like Steiner and these offers were backed by the policies of the companies offering the items. That is, if any items were found not to be in accordance with what they were claimed to be, the buyer could contact the seller with their concerns.

On a previous thread I asked for instances where forum members felt they have been defrauded in acquiring any of these items. I have not seen anyone post evidence of attempted fraud. That is why I stated my understanding of the issues with JO Sports occurred prior to their team deals and the merchandise they are currently offering. If that is incorrect then I think that is important to know. That is also why we are asking that any additional substantiated information about the allegations be made available for the benefit of the members.

This has been discussed in a previous thread and will not be discussed again here. If people want to get back to the original purpose of this thread it will be left open. If not, the thread will be closed.

Sincerely,
Chris

SkubeBats
11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Chris,
I'm not trying to STIR THINGS UP. I just asked a question and once again you come at me.

1) I proved I didn't lie about the mod.
2) You did call me a "TROLL" and "me only" I think that was your words.
3) I did reciece emails thanking me for standing up to the bad guys in our hobby. I don't know WHY you wouldn't like me to stand up to the bad guys. Plus they couldn't post at that time because you looked the thread.

__________________________________________________ ____________

I'm only trying to help the hobby out by getting rid of the bad apples. I think that is what everyone wants!! What do you all think. Do you want bad apples in the hobby or not? Do you like it when people try to help out the hobby by doing their best to point out the bad guys or should they say nothing??

ChrisCavalier
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned, and in accordance with the forum rules, if people would like to post in response to the original question of this thread, please feel free to do so. If continued attempts are made to change the original topic of this thread it will be closed.

Sincerely,
Chris

CollectGU
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned, and in accordance with the forum rules, if people would like to post in response to the original question of this thread, please feel free to do so. If continued attempts are made to change the original topic of this thread it will be closed.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris,

Can we start a new thread then that allows people to comment on whether they think the banning was justified/valid?

Thnaks,
Dave

ChrisCavalier
11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Chris,

Can we start a new thread then that allows people to comment on whether they think the banning was justified/valid?

Thnaks,
Dave
Hello Dave,

I am not interested in taking my time discussing the administrative action taken in this instance. I explained why they were taken as well as the infraction. As per the forum rules:

Your membership on this forum is subject to the rules detailed above and the rules are subject to change without prior notice. Breaching these rules can result in post or thread deletion, and continued breaches can result in your account being temporarily locked or permanently banned.
The decision to warn or ban a member will depend on the infraction and is solely at the discretion of the Administrator.
Administrators have the final say in any rule dispute.Sincerely,
Chris

Eric
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, I'll try once again to steer us back on topic.

I just sent emails to 3 new contacts at the card companies- 1 at Panini, 1 at Topps, 1 at Upper Deck.

Will let people know if I get a response.

Can we please stick to the topic this time?
Eric

ivo610
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Has anyone attempted to contact any of the NFL teams that have or had partnerships with JO sports to see if they 1. still have a partnership 2. plan on continuing it 3. If they ever sold JO game issued jerseys, as I dont recall seeing more than a couple on the site in the past couple years.

Fnazxc0114
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Thats a good enough answer for me. Thanks Chris.

Hello Joshua,

This offer was made to GUU members similar to other offers made by entities like Steiner and these offers were backed by the policies of the companies offering the items. That is, if any items were found not to be in accordance with what they were claimed to be, the buyer could contact the seller with their concerns.

On a previous thread I asked for instances where forum members felt they have been defrauded in acquiring any of these items. I have not seen anyone post evidence of attempted fraud. That is why I stated my understanding of the issues with JO Sports occurred prior to their team deals and the merchandise they are currently offering. If that is incorrect then I think that is important to know. That is also why we are asking that any additional substantiated information about the allegations be made available for the benefit of the members.

This has been discussed in a previous thread and will not be discussed again here. If people want to get back to the original purpose of this thread it will be left open. If not, the thread will be closed.

Sincerely,
Chris

SkubeBats
11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Has anyone contacted the 6 guys to see what they sold and to who they sold their items to. Also ask them where they got their items to start with. The more details the better...

ivo610
11-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Has anyone contacted the 6 guys to see what they sold and to who they sold their items to. Also ask them where they got their items to start with. The more details the better...

Anyone with a pending federal case wouldnt start answering random Qs over the phone involving the situation.

tspane2k
11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a Edgerrin James Game used jersey with a Fleer COA. Luckily it has very Unique marks on the front and i could easily photomatch it. So the one item I have from a card company appears to be legit.

legaleagle92481
11-11-2011, 02:20 AM
I started a thread on here awhile ago about a Jason Taylor Redskins jersey that I called out last winter. I had noticed it originally on JO's site but after doing my homework concluded it was not game used, Taylor did not play in the game in question and the jersey looked clean as a`whistle for something advertised as having great use. The jersey later ended up on Ebay with a member selling it. I called it out at that time. Notably JO had listed it cheaper than other "Game used" Taylor Redskins jerseys. Here is that thread: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=41926 Another time I called JO out privately over a Trevor Pryce Ravens jersey that was covered in use but he had been released and signed by the Jets before JO claimed he used it. JO changed the description to just a "game used" jersey not from a specific game after that.