PDA

View Full Version : anybody else getting fake eBay emails saying watched item re-listed???

camarokids
09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
HI there GUU collectors :)!!!! The spoofer is trying to trick you and I ! This has been happening for about 3-4 weeks . Not long after posting an ad on GUU advertising some Devil Rays jerseys I started to get these emails . Don't know if someone is stealing our emails off of GUU or are able to monitor items on ebay ?? I am not accusing GUU of any wrong doing (got to put my disclosure in) . The email always contains a game used bat that I have actually viewed on ebay but never watched the said item . Of course I never clicked on any of the links provided by the emails . I have forwarded 3 of the spoof emails to spoof@ebay.com so far . You should do the same if you have received or do receive any . Has this been happeneing to anyone else ????????????? ebay did respond back all 3 times and told me the emails did not come from ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!

trsent
09-21-2006, 01:30 PM
HI there GUU collectors :)!!!! The spoofer is trying to trick you and I ! This has been happening for about 3-4 weeks . Not long after posting an ad on GUU advertising some Devil Rays jerseys I started to get these emails . Don't know if someone is stealing our emails off of GUU or are able to monitor items on ebay ?? I am not accusing GUU of any wrong doing (got to put my disclosure in) . The email always contains a game used bat that I have actually viewed on ebay but never watched the said item . Of course I never clicked on any of the links provided by the emails . I have forwarded 3 of the spoof emails to spoof@ebay.com so far . You should do the same if you have received or do receive any . Has this been happeneing to anyone else ????????????? ebay did respond back all 3 times and told me the emails did not come from ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get 3-4 emails a day that look sort of like a buyer asking me a question about an eBay item, but it is obvious they are phony as they never state what the item is in the eBay message.

The best thing to do, other than emailing the email to spoof@ebay.com (also for phone PayPal, go to spoof@paypal.com) is to answer any questions through your My eBay page, which should be accessed from your eBay homepage and not from any links in any emails.

skipcareyisfat
09-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I get those all the time. Spoofing spoofers.

34swtns
09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
It's becoming more frequent. My favorite one is one that I've gotten at least 3 different times over a 7 month period. It's a "buyer" telling me that they "received all of the sports cards" they won from me "but the Shaquille O'Neal card is different than the one in the auction listing" and what can they do about it. Funny thing is, I've never sold a sports card in my life. Iwas sending them to spoof@ebay.com but I've just deleted the last one. I'm convinced ebay doesn't do a thing about it.

kylehess10
09-21-2006, 02:40 PM
It's becoming more frequent. My favorite one is one that I've gotten at least 3 different times over a 7 month period. It's a "buyer" telling me that they "received all of the sports cards" they won from me "but the Shaquille O'Neal card is different than the one in the auction listing" and what can they do about it. Funny thing is, I've never sold a sports card in my life. Iwas sending them to spoof@ebay.com but I've just deleted the last one. I'm convinced ebay doesn't do a thing about it.

I got that same exact e-mail!!

suave1477
09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
WELL I JUST GOT 2 DAYS AGO THE KING OF ALL SCAMS!!!
I liked to see any one top this.

SOMEONE ACTUALLY PURCHASED MY ITEM BY CLICKING ON "Buy it Now"

Then 5 minutes later sent me an email saying they want to send me a Money Order for my item from there client. The amount will be made out to more then what my item was selling for, so if I can take the remaining money and send it to ther client in Africa.

They then told me they will arrange for a pick up by DHL and make sure I cash the Money Order immediately at my bank and find a Western Union to send the money cash to Africa.

HAS ANYONE ELSE GOT ANYTHING LIKE THIS?????

thomecollector
09-21-2006, 03:18 PM
I get those emails all the time. I wouldn't send anything to anyone. They just had a similiar story on the news. Guy took the check to the bank, deposited it. Was told it cleared, then sent $4,900 to someone. The check
bounced . He's out the $4900. What a shame.:(

skipcareyisfat
09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
These scammers are worthless. Jason, I think someone on this forum got an email like yours a while back and pulled a pretty good prank on them in return. After the guy received the bogus check, he sent the scammers a box of rocks, COD. You did get their address, right? You should send them a couple bags of spinach.

suave1477
09-21-2006, 03:38 PM
SkipCarey I agree now it just pisses me off bcuz I have to wait to get my fees refunded back to me by ebay and then relist the item.

allstarsplus
09-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately I have had the same "Buy it Now" issues so eBay gave me a couple of good suggestions in Seller Preferences---I now require a buyer to be PayPal approved and to not have a Negative rating in order to bid on one of my listings.

I only wish eBay allowed you to not allow buyers with ratings under a +2 or some rating like that to require "prior approval" to bid. There are too many bidders that will buy a $1 item and get a quick Positive rating and then start to scam.

Since I have installed the "PayPal approved", I haven't had problems. Most scammers aren't going thru the trouble of getting PayPal approved---at least I hope.

Just some suggestions--hope they help.

Andrew

TNTtoys
09-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Keep your eye out for this new scam...

Email sent "through the ebay system" by "???" offering you a second chance at an item you bid on and recently lost. Potentially a high priced item too. Course it doesn't come from the seller of the original item.

You then pay this person that amount of money through paypal... then find out there was no item in the first place and you just gave some total stranger a wad of money.

This happened to my wife -- she bid for an antique rug and lost. Then she receives a "second chance offer" on the rug, and jumps up and down in joy... I am in the room & tell her "hold it a second... how could you be receiving such an offer SO FAST... surely if the high bidder won the item and ultimately was a non-paying bidder, more than 1 DAY would have gone by..." I then go over to the keyboard, place the mouse over the button to pay this "seller" and of course it's not a link to ebay...

Scam artists are getting creative... it's no longer the random phishing scheme... they are studying your purchases and ebay bids now. Be careful... spread the word...

jon_8_us
09-21-2006, 04:25 PM
This happens to me quite often.I also have had to change my password numerous times.What a pain in the *ss.
jon

suave1477
09-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Keep your eye out for this new scam...

Email sent "through the ebay system" by "???" offering you a second chance at an item you bid on and recently lost. Potentially a high priced item too. Course it doesn't come from the seller of the original item.

You then pay this person that amount of money through paypal... then find out there was no item in the first place and you just gave some total stranger a wad of money.

This happened to my wife -- she bid for an antique rug and lost. Then she receives a "second chance offer" on the rug, and jumps up and down in joy... I am in the room & tell her "hold it a second... how could you be receiving such an offer SO FAST... surely if the high bidder won the item and ultimately was a non-paying bidder, more than 1 DAY would have gone by..." I then go over to the keyboard, place the mouse over the button to pay this "seller" and of course it's not a link to ebay...

Scam artists are getting creative... it's no longer the random phishing scheme... they are studying your purchases and ebay bids now. Be careful... spread the word...

Tnt I actually have to disagree with you on this one. I will tell you why. Sometimes when I am selling items I will be at my computer to watch people bidding on my stuff ( More so just for fun and curiosity to see what happens ) If a few people bid on an item and it goes up considerably and if I have more than 1 available right after the auction I will send out a second chance notice to hopefull get a second sale.

So if your the person outbid it may seem strange but it could actually just be the seller is right there and saw you were out bid and has more then one available.

trsent
09-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I said it earlier and I'll say it again - If you are suspicious of a second change offer, go to your My eBay page and make sure it is legitimate.

I have also immediately used the 2nd chance offer button when I have had more than one of the same item, so that button is not only for when a sale falls through.

DonTheLegend
09-21-2006, 06:17 PM
ive been getting these for a couple of weeks now.

its funny that theres a thread about this, because i was just thinking about it right before i came in here.

got an "EBay" email for a "relisted" Fred McGriff something or other and something for a frank Thomas item.

knowing i had never had these on my watch list i just deleted them.

i didnt have a clue it was so wide spread.

LHG39
09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, I got one of these offeres as well from the "eBay Warehouse" for the 1983 PETE ROSE GAME USED JERSEY SIGNED PHILLIES PSA (220025995636 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220025995636&sspagename=ADME:B:SCO:US:1))

They key that it is a spoof is that the URL you are directed to ends in .ro

TNTtoys
09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Tnt I actually have to disagree with you on this one. I will tell you why. Sometimes when I am selling items I will be at my computer to watch people bidding on my stuff ( More so just for fun and curiosity to see what happens ) If a few people bid on an item and it goes up considerably and if I have more than 1 available right after the auction I will send out a second chance notice to hopefull get a second sale.

So if your the person outbid it may seem strange but it could actually just be the seller is right there and saw you were out bid and has more then one available.

I understand your point -- I have done that before myself... items like McFarlane figures, etc... It's easy to do this when it is possible that the seller may have a duplicate... but I was referring to an antique rug, in a specific condition, with specific defects. There is no way possible that there is an exact duplicate of this item in the world, let alone owned by the same person. Hence, the high bidder would have to have become a "non paying buyer" in record time. That was red flag #1.
Red flag #2 was placing the cursor over the link to purchase the item and the link was not on the ebay domain.

trsent
09-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Just got a new one today, pretty good looking email...

eBay Unpaid Item Dispute #120034801775 - response required http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/email/eBayLogo.gif (http://www.ebay.com/)

Dear member,

eBay member rllupu2 (1401http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconShootTeal_25x25.gif) http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/psIcon_50x25.gif (http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/powersellers.html)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconStoresNW_20x20.gif (http://stores.ebay.com/PointingMouse-Money-Saving-Store) has indicated that they already paid for item #120034801775

Review the submitted details regarding the payment. (https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&co_partner...)

Regards,
eBay International AG

trsent
09-23-2006, 11:23 AM
The item number in the post above is a real item, but I have no work with the transaction. I believe they were just trying to jack my login information.

scottanservitz
09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I just got my second Relisted items email supposedly from eBay. I've gotten 2 in the last couple days. One set had items I am watching and the second one on items I am not watching. I don't know how they got the items I am watching, but I think if you go on the link and make a bid, (thus giving your login and password), they got you. It is a pretty good looking email, but again, if it doesn't come from the eBay site, it is phony. Again, they even got my watched items right. I forwarded them to eBay at spoof@ebay.com and they are indeed fake. I have to believe they will get an account or two. Let it be known these are indeed BAD, BAD, BAD.
Scott

camarokids
09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi there GUU :), I just got another spoof and forwarded it on to ebay . SOME GOOD NEWS though !! Since I started forwarding the spoof emails to ebay , I have only gotten one more spoof email (just 5 minutes ago). So maybe , somebody somewhere is doing something about it . Just letting you all know FYI !

camarokids
10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi there GUU :), I just got another spoof and forwarded it on to ebay . SOME GOOD NEWS though !! Since I started forwarding the spoof emails to ebay , I have only gotten one more spoof email (just 5 minutes ago). So maybe , somebody somewhere is doing something about it . Just letting you all know FYI !

Since this post above , now the emails I have been getting are the same theme . Watched item has been re-listed (only I never watched the item ,only viewed) and I have been still forwarding to spoof@ebay.com . But the past 3 or 4 emails. Ebay has responded back (received in my ebay, too) stating the emails were sent by ebay in error :eek:. Anybody else now getting the same message from ebay ?????? I changed my password to ebay just in case!