PDA

View Full Version : Do you care what happens to items you sell?

frikativ54
11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm really curious as to if people care what happens to their game used items after they sell them. This is not a question of what people are able to do with their items - of course they can legally sell them - but a question of a person's subjective opinions regarding items they once owned.

Would it upset you if an item you once owned were bought at auction by a card company to cut up in pieces?

Does it matter to you if the guy who said he wanted an item for his personal collection, and you sold it to him on that basis, turns around and sells it on eBay the next day?

Or is it "Out of sight, out of mind," - and onto the next item?

sox83cubs84
11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
It does, to a degree. Regarding your two examples, Frik, if I found out a potential buyer was a card company or a representative for one, the deal would be over, PERIOD, regardless of the sales price.

If a collector flips an item on eBat after making a collector-based pitch to me, it would depend. If I got a price I was happy and content with, then I wouldn't care. If the buyer nickel and dimed me to death and proceeded to flip it, especially at an inflated price, he would, at that point, become a former customer.

Dave Miedema

Shipp_96
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
It does to me. If someone writes me to tell me how I made their day, then it makes me feel better about selling it. However when I get people asking me sizes so they can wear a worn jersey, I don't know. It's kind of annoying, honestly. It has never prevented me from making a sale. However, if someone only wants to flip it themselves or it was to be chopped up by a card company, it would make me think twice about it.

Gridiron Heroes
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
If it's an item we sell through Gridiron Heroes, I always hope it goes to a collector who'll enjoy it. If they turn around and sell it, I've got no control over that.

If it's from my personal collection, it matters alot. I won't sell it unless I know it's going into good hands unless I really need the money for another item I'm buying. 99% of my Gopher gamers I've sold have gone to my two partners over the last 15 years. At least half of my vintage helmets out of my collection(s) have gone to them as well.

Shawn Kennedy
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
GridironHeroes.net

xpress34
11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I have to agree that I would have problems selling to a card company...

If I was bugged by someone for me to sell them an item because they REALLY wanted it (I'm not even talking nickel and dimed me) for THEIR collection and they immediately flipped it, I would not be doing anymore business from them.

The few times I have asked people I know to sell or trade me something I intended to 'flip' (usually for another item I was wanting), I have always been upfront about it so they could decide whether they wanted to let it go or not knowing that I would no longer have possession of the item.

That said, I have a good friend who always wants to trade me for stuff... if I find anything he has to do a trade, it's usually stuff that I will end up selling or trading to get another item I want because his collecting tastes are different than mine, but sometimes I end up picking up items he truly wants for his collection and I know that he doesn't trade or sell anything he labels as 'personal collection'. He does however get upset with me when he finds out I no longer have items he traded me - even though I let him know that they might not be around for long....

- Smitty

project 4
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Once the item is out of my hands it's at the discretion of the buyer what he wants to do with it. IMO I don't think I would have any right to tell them what to do with it. Once I buy an item it's for my PC until I don't want it anymore. Then that's when I'll sell it. I don't sell to help someone's collection at all.

lions93
11-07-2011, 07:32 AM
No - cash is king. I also wear my gamers - :o before I got out of game shape - lol