Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asr1084
    • Apr 2011

Bryce Harper MLB Auctions

Are you kidding me with this Bryce Harper GU jersey right now!? $2,491.00 and still has 6 days lsft. This kid hasnt proved anything in my opinion. What is the true worth of that jersey? What is the worth of that jersey in 5 or 10 years?

I want to see him succeed but he has a long road to go............. am i missing something here?
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Re: Bryce Harper MLB Auctions

You make good points. I wonder what kind of success Harper would have to have to sustain these prices. Albert Pujols-like achievements? Even being a regular star would drop the value of such items. I remember when Harper's ASG Futures hat commanded a grand. All for a barely used hat.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• BrewCrewSackers
      • Jul 2009

Yeah, that's a lot to pay for a Kevin Maas jersey. lol

Even if he becomes an "average" star, say matt holliday, it's still insane to buy his stuff at these prices.

chances of him becoming Pujols or Griffey= 1 in 1,000,000

chances of him becoming Holliday= 1 in 500

chances of him becoming Corey Hart= 1 in 50

chances of him becoming Rob Deer= 1 in 10

chances of him becoming Kevin Maas 1 in 3

Comment

• BrewCrewSackers
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by asr1084
        Are you kidding me with this Bryce Harper GU jersey right now!? $2,491.00 and still has 6 days lsft. This kid hasnt proved anything in my opinion. What is the true worth of that jersey? What is the worth of that jersey in 5 or 10 years?

I want to see him succeed but he has a long road to go............. am i missing something here?

I'd rather have an once and a half of gold for that much $$.

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
          • May 2009

Originally posted by BrewCrewSackers
          chances of him becoming Pujols or Griffey= 1 in 1,000,000
          Reminded me of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Comment

• Manram
            • Nov 2008

Although I do believe the prices on his stuff are ridiculous his potential is extremely high. How many players do you know that could leave high school after his sophomore year and put up those numbers in junior college with a wood bat nonetheless? Not any other player anywhere

Comment

• freddiefreeman5
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by asr1084

The true worth is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Comment

• project 4
                • Jan 2011

I'm taking that prospecting isn't as big with memorabilia collecting as it is with card collecting? I haven't been in tune with baseball since the 90's strike, but isn't Harper suppose to be the next BIG THING? I remember Maas. There was so much hype around him b/c he played for the Yankees and he had that nice tear and the end of the season. I also remember guys like Griffey and A-rod when they first came out. Bryce is closer to both latters in terms of being a sure thing right now and has been consistently doing well since high school. Some people have the means to spend. If it's a true Harper fan, more power to him/her! If it's someone who just want to turn it around for a potential investment then I see what the fuss is all about.

Comment

• yanks12025
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by project 4
                  I'm taking that prospecting isn't as big with memorabilia collecting as it is with card collecting? I haven't been in tune with baseball since the 90's strike, but isn't Harper suppose to be the next BIG THING? I remember Maas. There was so much hype around him b/c he played for the Yankees and he had that nice tear and the end of the season. I also remember guys like Griffey and A-rod when they first came out. Bryce is closer to both latters in terms of being a sure thing right now and has been consistently doing well since high school. Some people have the means to spend. If it's a true Harper fan, more power to him/her! If it's someone who just want to turn it around for a potential investment then I see what the fuss is all about.

Yeah he did very well in Double A. Batting .256 with 3 home-runs.

Comment

• stretch
                    • Mar 2009

I noticed the other day that a memorabilia store inside the mall at Planet Hollywood (Las Vegas) had some Harper items. Batting gloves and I believe a bat. The asking price on one batting glove was $500.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                      • Nov 2005

Keith Olbermann was the high bidder on this jersey so expect it to go higher. Olbermann paid over $20,000 for one of Strasburg's 1st game used baseballs.

When I went to bid on the jersey and saw he was in the bidding, I gave up.
                      Regards,
                      Andrew Lang
                      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                      202-716-8500

Comment

• frikativ54
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                        Keith Olbermann was the high bidder on this jersey so expect it to go higher. Olbermann paid over $20,000 for one of Strasburg's 1st game used baseballs.

When I went to bid on the jersey and saw he was in the bidding, I gave up.
                        Wow! I never realized Olbermann had an account at MLB.com Auctions. Is he a big collector in addition to a commentator?
                        Les Zukor
                        bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                        Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                        (617) 682-0408

Comment

• maverick14
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by frikativ54
                          Wow! I never realized Olbermann had an account at MLB.com Auctions. Is he a big collector in addition to a commentator?
                          He is in fact a big collector. He was 2nd to Sheen on the Buckner ball last time it was auctioned before its million dollar ebay listing. He spends big bucks, must be nice.
                          -Randy
                          rborrero14 at gmail.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
                            I think there are some old posts about him with his eBay username. He collects cards too. Amazing collection.

When I see he is bidding, I just give up as I know I won't win the item. He owns some great pieces of Washington Nationals history.
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• asr1084
                              • Apr 2011

Olberman has been outbid!! I wonder how long before he jumps back ahead........it sure is fun watching this. Again I really hope Bryce becomes a special player. He certainly has all the potential.

Comment

Working...