PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication statistics

coxfan
11-09-2011, 07:10 AM
I've done studies of the authentication hologram numbers used for the Rangers' games I've bought balls from. I used the hologram number sequence, so if a ball got out of that sequence, I'd have missed it.

For the 2011 ALDS Game 2 (Tampa at Texas), there are 56 authenticated g-u balls in the sequence FJ 152 through FJ 212. Their categories were as follows, as given by the holograms:

Pitches in the dirt: 14
Foul balls: 16
Foul tips (not true foul tips, but any foul near the batter): 6 ( These are not counted under "foul balls" above).
Fly outs: 3
Pop out: 1
Singles: 4
Doubles: 2
Wild pitch: 1 (usually not a true wild pitch by the rule book)
sacrifice bunts: 1
infield singles: 2 (separate from "singles" above).
ground outs: 2
strikeout pitch: 1
hit batsman: 2
first pitch (of game?) 1

For the 2011 ALCS game 2, there are 41 balls in the hologram sequence FJ 761392-433. The authenticator used some different categories. Here are the stats for the hologram descriptions:

Pitch in dirt: 14
Foul tip (Only one a true foul tip): 6
Foul to screen: 9
base hit: 3 ( type hit not given)
walk: 1
ground outs: 2
Hit batsman: 1
Passed ball: 1
Pop out: 1
wld pitch: 1
fly out: 1
error: 1

Some have asked what type balls ae authenticated, so I found this interesting. There are also numbers for broken bats, locker-room plates, lineup cards, and bases I haven't gone through.

coxfan
11-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I failed to note that the hologram sequences for both games start with FJ761... There were also several broken bats in those sequences. The other items ( bases, lineup cards, locker room items, etc.) are mostly in the preceding number sequences (eg FJ761151 and below).

Marrdar
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you - as an example with SF Giants baseballs available from the Dugout store, many of the baseballs are pitches in the dirt, or fouls. "Base hit" baseballs are hard to find.

coxfan
11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
However, it can be fun to try to guess the previous history of the ball,using replays, play-by-play data, adjoining listings in the hologram sequence, and the appearance of the ball. For example, I bought a "foul back to the screen" from 2011 ALCS game 2. But by looking more closely, I am pretty sure it was the same ball that was just caught by Hamilton in CF from the previous batter, as it appeared to stay in play. Likewise, my ALDS game 2 ball is given as a flyout to CF, but I'm about 80-85% sure it was the same ball just singled to CF by Murphy, and kept in play for the next batter.

So some of those fouls and pitches in the dirt may have a more interesting history. Anyway, it's like finding a fossil; much of the enjoyment is trying to infer more about its history.

coxfan
11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
As an example of how useful it can be to look past the authentication note, look at FJ761153 from ALDS game 2 ( Tampa at Texas). The hologram merely says it was a pitch in the dirt to Longoria. But it doesn't add that that pitch in the dirt (actually caught on a small bounce by Napoli) was ball four, putting runners on first and second with one out in a dangerous inning for Holland.

So if you want the whole story with an authenticated ball, (as with any g-u item) it's always interesting to look further than the hologram note.

joelsabi
11-11-2011, 09:28 AM
However, it can be fun to try to guess the previous history of the ball,using replays, play-by-play data, adjoining listings in the hologram sequence, and the appearance of the ball. For example, I bought a "foul back to the screen" from 2011 ALCS game 2. But by looking more closely, I am pretty sure it was the same ball that was just caught by Hamilton in CF from the previous batter, as it appeared to stay in play. Likewise, my ALDS game 2 ball is given as a flyout to CF, but I'm about 80-85% sure it was the same ball just singled to CF by Murphy, and kept in play for the next batter.

So some of those fouls and pitches in the dirt may have a more interesting history. Anyway, it's like finding a fossil; much of the enjoyment is trying to infer more about its history.

I have found a similar example but the pitcher walked the previous at bat however only the last action is described in the database.

lakeerie92
11-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Some authenticators are starting to track the baseballs through their use.

I just bought a baseball from the Mets that is authenticated to a Hunter Pence single, Jimmy Rollins single, Chase Utley walk, and Ryan Howard single all on one baseball.

I was also able to pick up another one that was both a Chipper Jones single and a Dan Uggla single.

dplettn
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Some authenticators are starting to track the baseballs through their use.

I just bought a baseball from the Mets that is authenticated to a Hunter Pence single, Jimmy Rollins single, Chase Utley walk, and Ryan Howard single all on one baseball.

I was also able to pick up another one that was both a Chipper Jones single and a Dan Uggla single.

The Mets are a good example of this. Also, in the same division the Phillies are a great example where I was able to help a friend source an incredible ball to go with one of his bats.

There are really a number of teams doing a fantastic job coordinating and evolving the process of their game used authentications of all items, including baseballs.

Still, I agree with other posters about the fun of studying a ball based on its evidence and its authentication. I once bought a ball (sight unseen) based on knowing what happened one pitch prior to the authentication. It was so neat to receive the ball and examine its use.

Ultimately, everything about collecting must be fun. And there isn't a right or wrong way to be passionate about what we collect. It is fantastic to see the efforts of those organizations who are themselves committed to the authentication process and distributing the merchandise directly to fans.

coxfan
11-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Tracking multiple uses on one ball is remarkable. I wonder what process the authenticators use for that? It's my guess that such detail is more feasible if only a few balls are done for that game.

MLB authentication of g-u balls has progressed a lot in just the past 3 or 4 years. When I first started collecting these in 2006, the Rangers' authenticator would just get six balls from the ballboys' "used" bucket at the end of the game. There was no way to know how those had been used in the game. In 2007, the Rangers made an exception to that practice by tracking Sosa's AB balls, authenticating one from each of his AB's, until he hit his 600th. Now the Rangers seem to authenticate around 15 balls from each regular-season game, documenting their last use in the database. They send them to their stadium store by the 8th inning, and then give the unsold ones to their charity, which also sells them at the games.

Still, authentication practice varies widely across clubs, events, and even authenticators from game to game in the same stadium. I'd be interested to hear how any clubs are doing it.

I like the observation made by one of my sons-in-law: that even if clubs don't make much (in relation to their mega-millions budget) on g-u balls, it's a great way to share with fans as well as to document artifacts of their games.

coxfan
11-18-2011, 07:51 AM
I've been continuing my study of the MLB authentication process used in Rangers' postseason games in 2010 and 2011, using tapes, play-by-play, and hologram sequences. Generally, I've been very impressed. The home plate umpires and catchers have been very careful about making sure he balls get to the 1B batboy. He in turn gets them to the authenticator, who in postseason games has been seated next to the dugout behind the cameras. ( In some regular-season games last year, he was on the front row of the camera well further down).

One TV shot shows the batboy throwing to the authenticator, whose face and notebook is seen. Several other shots show the batboy throwing authenticated balls in that direction (typically when they're doing a closeup of Washington; the batboy crosses in front and clearly throws the ball to the authenticator.) They apparently had a system where a few balls hit to the 3B side were saved by someone until the end of the game, when they were added to the end of the hologram sequence.

I post this because it's reassuring to see the care that MLB authentication has put in here, protecting the integrity of the documentation for the sake of collectors and artifact identification. In this hobby, that's a refreshing
find.

Still it's been amusing to see the "rest of the story" on some of these balls. One "pitch in the dirt" hologram was actualy ball four for a bases-loaded walk! Another "pitch in the dirt" was a swinging strike three, in which the batter reached first when the pitch smapered away from the catcher. The lack of detail in those holograms was undoubtedly due the large number of balls being authenticated for postseason, and is thus not a criticism. It just goes to show you how much one can learn, usually as a positive surprise, by researching one's items a littler more.