PDA

View Full Version : Auction houses

seven4five20
11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
What do you think are the best auction houses to consign to? Are there any directories out there for sports memorabilia auction houses? Thank you

cohibasmoker
11-22-2013, 08:32 AM
What do you think are the best auction houses to consign to? Are there any directories out there for sports memorabilia auction houses? Thank you

Recently, I had a pretty nice experience with "Legendary" Auctions. I contacted them about an item I had and they got back to me within 1-day. I sent them scans and they asked me to send them the item - AT THEIR EXPENSE.

With postage and Insurance rates the way they are, to send them an item on their dime is a pretty nice savings.

Jim

Steeleraddict
11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Best advice...be very careful and do ur due diligence. They are not all created equal. Or at least havent become equal. Some specialize in certain areas vs others. Baseball vs football. Higher end etc. Ex..a solid GU urlacher sold for around $1000 because unfortunately it was placed in a mostly baseball card, baseball auction.
What are u thinking of selling?

If u look in recent threads one member is still owed at least $3000 by a particular AH!!! I'm sure they read this forum and haven't replied in their own defense. Also, some are developing a great reputation and are worth the premium.
For ex., I would look to see whos past auctions " game used Joe Namath or game used Walter paytons" etc end up selling for $1000.

dougiedshow
11-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Recently, I had a pretty nice experience with "Legendary" Auctions. I contacted them about an item I had and they got back to me within 1-day. I sent them scans and they asked me to send them the item - AT THEIR EXPENSE.

With postage and Insurance rates the way they are, to send them an item on their dime is a pretty nice savings.

Jim

As far as legendary auctions goes, you probably have to give free shipping when you have this hanging over your head

http://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-releases/2012/william-mastro-and-two-other-executives-of-former-mastro-auctions-indicted-for-allegedly-defrauding-bidders-in-online-and-live-auctions-of-sports-memorabilia-and-other-collectibles

I send my best game used stuff to Ken at Goldin Auctions. He's really changed the face of game used auctions in my opinion. Everything is authenticated, they're getting the best items and certainly getting top dollar. Many auctions are a minefield. I navigate through other auctions looking for what's real, what's not, and hoping to find a good deal here and there. When I do get burnt by auction houses, I just have to hope they make it right. Several auctions are riskier than eBay in my experience. There's a reason forgeries are consigned to the questionable houses.

dougiedshow
11-22-2013, 10:05 PM

I use auctionreport.com to keep track of the auctions. Hope that helps, if you aren't using it already.

nickacs
11-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I send my best game used stuff to Ken at Goldin Auctions. He's really changed the face of game used auctions in my opinion. Everything is authenticated, they're getting the best items and certainly getting top dollar. Many auctions are a minefield. I navigate through other auctions looking for what's real, what's not, and hoping to find a good deal here and there.

+1 for Ken and Goldin Auctions. I've been a bidder and seller at sports auction houses for over the years and lately, Goldin has come up strong and the top of my list as a buyer AND seller. There's a couple auction houses that are better for each side, but it can be a crap shoot.
I used to deal with 7-10 auction houses, but now I'm down to about 3-4 tops.

Steeleraddict
11-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Or if an auction house has a reality show you can see for yourself...how they treat jerseys sent in, thrown around, called junk and thrown back again. How the common theme to them seems to be cash, cash, cash. And their attitude towards their customers and the game used collecting community... I'll withhold judgement, stay objective and let you see for yourself.

Phil316
11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
In my opinion your best bet if you wanna sell an item used Goldin Auctions. I also would recommend Mears online auctions.

From my experience you wanna stay away from American memorabilia also called AMI, gray flannel, vintage authentics, legendary auctions, historic auctions just to name a few.

3arod13
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Based on your own experience, do auction houses honor correcting an error that could be from on of their auctions 7-10 years ago? I'm working an issue for someone, where I have sold proof that the jersey authenticated by this auction house was incorrect. Will share the entire situation soon. Waiting back to hear from the auction house.

Phil316
11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Tony,

I think any auction house that authenticates an item should stand by their statement/findings. I have had a couple issues in the last few years. One was corrected by Mears and the other by Vintage Authentics was not. I had to do a charge back with Vintage Authentics as the jersey was a forgery and they refused to acknowledge that.

Phil316
11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
To the original poster stay away from coaches corner as well. These guys are some of the biggest jokes in the hobby.

3arod13
11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Tony,

I think any auction house that authenticates an item should stand by their statement/findings. I have had a couple issues in the last few years. One was corrected by Mears and the other by Vintage Authentics was not. I had to do a charge back with Vintage Authentics as the jersey was a forgery and they refused to acknowledge that.

Thanks for responding and I agree! I won't go into too much detail at this point, until I see how they respond to the info I provided them.

Phil316
11-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Goodluck resolving the issue. Keep us updated. Would be interested in hearing your story.

Steeleraddict
11-28-2013, 03:43 AM
I would def put REA up there with the top AHs. Def top 3. Although sometimes limited in GU. But great reputation.

3arod13
11-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Tony,

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they respond and how they handle it. The evidence is solid by game video proof. I will provide all details soon. It's good knowledge to share.

tella27
12-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Goldin is by far the best AH I've used - Grey Flannel isn't bad if you're trying to sell NBA jerseys but they have a poor attitude and horrible customer service (treat you like they are doing you a favor by selling your item). I have nothing good to say about MEARS - I believe you can find all you need to know about them by searching threads. I know there are some high end auction houses that have good reviews but they are out of my league on items. I can only echo the others and say do your research and find out what AH does the best with the type of item(s) your looking to sell.

All the best

cohibasmoker
12-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Just had a nice experience with SCP auctions - Dan Imler. We spoke on the phone and they wound-up giving me a reduced consignment rate, had the item picked up at my door and no authentication fees.

Jim