PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk game cut jersey?

SPB903
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I found this listing on ebay, maybe this seller is on this board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-J-HAWK-2007-GREEN-BAY-PACKERS-GAME-CUT-JERSEY-/110780746128?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item19cb0c0990

The seller is calling this jersey as game cut. I asked the seller if he was considering it as team issued. I pointed out a couple of dissimilarities betweeen 07 Hawk gamers and this game cut (which I assume is team issued, made for Hawk) jersey.

Here is my question and his reply:

Dear robocop6849,

Are you selling this as a game issued jersey? Meaning it was Hawks jersey
that the Packers issued to him to wear in a game? If so, its missing
several features of Hawks jerseys from 2007, starting with the 50th
anniversary patch which was worn on all 2007 Packers game jerseys, the
sleeves are wrong and Hawk wore the NFL neck shield on the jersey, just
below the collar, not on it. Thanks!

reply:
Good sir....I am often amused by getting questions such as yours. I have to assume by your statements that you have no knowledge on the fact that there are game jerseys made simply for promotional purposes. Answering this question is getting old. I suggest you educate yourself by looking at such auction venues as NFL Auctions and Hunt Auctions where you will find a variety of jerseys for a variety of players in a wide variety of styles and sizes....all of which were made by the NFL in Berlin WI. .....all of which were produced for purely promotional reasons....not for wearing on the field. If you cannot accept that notion....than I am sorry.

As I look through his pictures further, I noticed in majority of his pics, there is only 1 Reebok shield on 1 sleeve. In one of his pics, there are 2.

So is it true that there are promotional game cut jerseys? Is his explanation of the differences correct?

I am new at this, thanks!

commando
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I think what it boils down to is that neither Hawk, nor the Packers, ever ordered or had possession of the jersey. Maybe it was ordered by the NFL, maybe a sales sample, etc.... Regardless, I have always personally felt that if a team or player is not involved with a piece of equipment, the value is considerably less that a piece that was.

SPB903
11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
The price was another reason why I considered his listing as ultimately a team issued piece. $300 is asking price.

short84
11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Game cut vs Game Issued is a really good question. I have found there are sellers that use the two terms interchangeably which is really confusing. I recently purchased one and did notice differences between it and actual game issued/game used jerseys.

I have quite a collection of both game used and game issued Cowboys jerseys that I could compare the "game cut" jersey to. They are very similar to game issued jerseys which is why I think there are sellers who consider them the same. I don't know about other teams but with the Cowboys jerseys there were very subtle differences. The game cut jersey I purchased had a neck label 07 which means Reebok manufactured the jersey in 2007. I compared it to a couple of issued and game worn jerseys I had that were also from 2007 (all had Steiner COAs). All were made in Berlin, WI. It seemed to me, the fabric of the "game cut" jersey was a little lighter weight than the issued or used jerseys. The font of the numbers on the shoulders of the game cut jersey was a larger size than on the actual game issued or game used jerseys and the stitching was not as tight. The letters in the players name were not sewn onto the name plate in a straight line -- a couple of the letters were just a little higher than the rest of them so the quality of workmanship did not look the same and the letters were also attached to the name plate with a looser stitch. In my opinion, they are nice but not the same quality as an actual game issued or game used jersey. I guess if you wanted a jersey to wear or didn't want to pay the price of an actual game issued or game used jersey from a star player, they are a great way to go. This is just my opinion and only based upon a jersey from the Dallas Cowboys.

SPB903
11-23-2011, 03:11 PM
When I read game cut, I consider it game or team issued, obviously not game worn. I consider the jersey to be "cut" (altered) to the players specifications of his game jersey, therefore ready to be worn on the field.

It seems that maybe in reality, game cut, not team issued jerseys, are just retail jerseys.

short84
11-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Each team may vary -- the Cowboys' jersey I got did not have any modifications so I would not have considered it game issued. I am very familiar with the modifications made to jerseys by the player whose name was on this jersey and it did not have any of the modifications he usually has done. Other teams may be different.

Flamechicken
11-23-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't believe that this is a "game cut" jersey that was received by the Packers to be possibly used by Hawk in a game. My opinion of a "game cut" jersey is a jersey that has been received by the Packers from Reebok which then received additional custom tayloring by the Packers seamstresses in preparation for the use in a game. Basically it should be exactly how they wear it on the field.

Further, I don't believe that it is a team issued Hawk jersey. The size is correct, in that Hawk wears a 48, but my main concern is the nameplate length. Current Packers jerseys have a nameplate that extends from shoulder to shoulder, not based on the length of the last name. I've looked at many Hawk photos from 2007 and this appears to hold true in every home game that he played. Below is a link to a pic from Aug. 18, 2007...notice the nameplate.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/linebacker-a-j-hawk-of-the-green-bay-packers-watches-the-news-photo/76354821

I think that this might have been a blank team issued jersey that had the number and name added by a third party, not by the Packers or by Reebok.

For comparison, another "team issued" Hawk jersey just sold on Ebay. I believe this to be a true team issued jersey. Notice that the neckline was not yet altered by the Packers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-AJ-A-J-HAWK-GREEN-BAY-PACKERS-UN-USED-GAME-ISSUED-PRO-CUT-GAME-JERSEY-50-/320795186221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab0e2142d

On a side note, the sellers response would throw up red flags. A very negative and demeaning way to answer innocent questions by a potential buyer.

Hope this helps,
Mike

SPB903
11-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Flame I agree. I compared 2007 Getty images of Hawks home jerseys. As you said, correct size (48). I compared to the last game issued 07 home jersey on ebay also and it reflects the style jersey Hawk would wear, short sleeves. Its missing the altered NFL shield and the anniversary patch though.

The jersey in the listing is missing some major components for me to even consider it game cut or team issued. He states in the listing that he gets his jerseys from reliable sources. He became easily defensive about the questions. But again, someone will pay $300+ for this jersey, which doesnt even have the appropriate Reebok shields.

Mulligans
11-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I would never refer to a Game Cut Jersey as being Team Issued or Game Issued. IMO....they are definitely not same thing....although a bit pompous, I thought the seller described it pretty well.

His example of NFL Auctions is very accurate....when they are GI, NFL auctions states it and then use the terms authentic and game cut when it is not a team issued Jersey.

Having said that, there are many game cut /authentic jerseys on nfl auctions that sell for a heck of a lot more than $300. An authentic patriot jersey in the proshop cost $299?

There have also been many posts on this in the past if you want to search.

Good luck.

DoctorLoomis
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Here are photos of what I believe is a real deal Hawk gamer. His jerseys are EXTREMELY customized.....

legaleagle92481
12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
There are two game used ones on the Packers Proshop website if you want to look at them for comparisons purposes.