PDA

View Full Version : Are we in a Game Worn Renaissance?

gingi79
11-24-2011, 05:51 AM
In the last 10 years, Law Enforcement has conducted at least 3 major sting operations aimed at curtailing game worn jersey fraud. The most prolific distributor, in terms of length and breadth, of NFL game worn jerseys and equipment, was just nailed for fraud. eBay power sellers have been caught in the same net. A man whose reputation in the hockey game worn community was equal parts "The Godfather" for his tenure and knowledge and "The cranky old man" for his poor customer service skills, was just banned from a website he helped build and moderate for over a decade. That came on the heels of another long time dealer having the door smack him on the way out for questionable consignment issues. Even the "old guard" including guys like Murf Denny, have become mere stories and memories rather than go-to distributors.

Is this our hobby's Renaissance?

It seems to me that a hobby once seen as small and uninteresting by the masses, has become big time. The FBI has had 2 major busts and even arrested a well known Auction House at The National. People who once begrudgingly tolerated snide comments and poor customer service in the name of quality merchandise, have nearly thrown two hockey pioneers from the hobby. This very website has detailed the misdeeds of no less than 6 known dealers and auction houses. Is it just me, or are We, the Collectors cleaning up this hobby? Am I really seeing dealers forced to provide quality customer service or risk losing business? Is accountability genuinely starting to become expected and demanded from those we buy from?

I realize the counter-argument is that MasAuctions still sells on eBay. JO's website is still doing business. Milt Byron will rise again (as I feel he should BTW) and deception and thievery will never be truly stamped out of the hobby. But to these things I ask you, have you ever known a hobby to have so many wholesale changes and renovations in such a short period of time? It is hard to argue we aren't headed towards a very bright future in terms of authenticity.

Now if we could just find a way to photomatch the stripes on Lou Lampson's prison jumpsuit.......