PDA

View Full Version : Several random football jerseys I have questions about

Preston
11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey guys,

As you know, normally I try not to ask any questions until I've exhausted my research on items, but I've...exhausted...my...research...on...these...it ems.

I have a few jerseys here I'm curious about either A) the origin or B) whether it's something significant or worthless, so here goes...

The first one is a Georgia "team issue" jersey - not sure if this tag literally means it's "team issue" or if it's what they put on retail versions (not sure why they would do that but then again, there's TONS of unexplained phenomenon in the game used world)

The second one is a jersey made by "Speedline" - not exactly sure what kind of jersey it is - to me it looks like a vintage college game worn jersey, but then again, I have no idea. It's kinda thin but looks like it's been worn a bunch.

The third is the one I really am curious about...it's also made by speedline but is REALLY heavy - has the last name "DEFINO" on the back. Not sure if this is an LSU old school gamer or exactly what this jersey is, but I was curious enough to purchase it, FWIW.

The last one is a jersey that looks like a professional style jersey, with "COBRAS" stitched on the front - again, not exactly sure what kind of jersey this is but I almost wonder if it's an AFL or some sort of semi-pro league jersey.

Thanks for any help in advance, as I'm stumped!

sox83cubs84
11-25-2011, 01:26 PM
My involvement with college football jerseys is limited, but I can tell you that the Georgia jersey was made in 2004 or later based on the Russell logo design. Russell went to that slanted R logo sometime in 2004, as many (though not all) MLB Russell tags show that version in 2004 gamers.

Dave Miedema

Preston
11-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome - Dave, you think the Georgia jersey is a gamer in fact? I couldn't imagine retail jerseys having that tag on them.

buckeyegamers
11-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Georgia has worn Nike jerseys since at least 2000

Number9
11-25-2011, 06:56 PM
The only thing on that uga jersey that resembles what they wear is the G in the V neck. The numbers are all wrong, the striping, tagging, and everything else is wrong. Never had a R on the chest/shoulder. Should have nameplate on back, etc etc. The red doesn't even look right. It's not even a good replica.

UGA-1
11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
UGA started wearing Nike about midway through the 1995 season.

Preston
11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
I figured that was the case w/ the Georgia jersey...weird that they'd even put "team issue" on anything that wasn't.

Anyone have any other thoughts on the other jerseys, specifically the purple one?

Number9
11-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Preston, sorry it didnt work out.
Yeah, that team issued thing seems like a company trying to be slick with terminology. I imagine 'team issue' doesn't infringe on any brands or copyrights so I guess they can get away with it. If it said 'UGA team issue' or 'NCAA team issue' on the tag then they may have had a problem with UGA or the NCAA for saying that.

I used to collect hockey GU awhile ago and if i remember right Koho had 'Authentic On Ice Apparel' on their hockey jersey tags for awhile, game used and replicas. The replicas of course were never 'on ice' so its either slick marketing or misleading -- or both.

Happy collecting.
Mike

lakeerie92
11-26-2011, 05:36 PM
There are several teams in Alabama that use that G logo like Georgia, I can only imagine there are dozens more across the US. It is more than likely a high school jersey.

Number9
11-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Good point Robert. Nothing else about it matches a UGA jersey so that would make sense.

BrianK
11-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Preston, sorry it didnt work out.
Yeah, that team issued thing seems like a company trying to be slick with terminology. I imagine 'team issue' doesn't infringe on any brands or copyrights so I guess they can get away with it. If it said 'UGA team issue' or 'NCAA team issue' on the tag then they may have had a problem with UGA or the NCAA for saying that.

I think this is the correct answer. There are several college jerseys on ebay with similar tagging.

BrianK
11-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Regarding the purple jersey, here's a possibility. The colors and timeframe are right.
http://www.fanbase.com/Mike-Defino

Preston
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Regarding the purple jersey, here's a possibility. The colors and timeframe are right.
http://www.fanbase.com/Mike-Defino

Brian - I really appreciate it! That is a HUGE help...I'm going to research this a little further but this looks right!