PDA

View Full Version : Ethics on asking for photo match help....do you agree?

gameused
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm just curious as a number of GUU forum members ask for "free" help on photo matching a particular game used item they own, either a bat, jersey, helmet and so forth and then shortly after they get a unquestionable video or photo match the item ends up for sale on eBay or here on the forum.

Personally, I feel that if the seller uses those photo matches that were obtained for "free" and makes a profit selling that particular item, that he or she should send some compensation to the person who found the match as they spent their time and put some effort into helping that person out.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bobby

freddiefreeman5
11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
'Tis better to give than to receive.

woody1351
11-29-2011, 09:58 PM
if i ever find a photomatch and dont get compensated for it, thats fine with me. i did it to be nice in the first place not get paid.

Titans74
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
If I make a random thread asking for photomatch help, and someone helps me out of kindness they are thanked. The person could also ask for small compensation. I wouldn't be offended. They are doing the work.

If I seek someone out specifically, like Kyle, I expect to pay that person going into it. Same thing, they are doing the work. You don't seek someone out and expect them not to be compensated.

dcgreg25
11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Bobby, first let me say you are one of the best at photomatching items...I speak from experience on the Martinez items I purchased from you. I can certainly understand your frustration trying to help other collectors with photomatches only to have them turn and sell the item immediately.

Personally if I was going to ask someone to help with a photomatch to help me sell an item, I would like to think I would send them something as a "thank you". It is difficult to guess someone's intentions but it sounds like this has happened to you more than once. The bottom line is that people who feel taken advantage of are less likely to help another collector in the future which is unfortunate.

sox83cubs84
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Bobby:

I am 100% in agreement with you. That's one of the reasons I stopped setting up at shows...I got tired of sellers and collectors refusing to even look at my sales items but coming by for my "blessing" on an item they bought from someone else. Hell, around 1990, I actually had some troll follow me into the men's room at the old St. Louis Holiday Inn show to ask me what I thought of his purchase.:mad: :mad: :mad: I can chuckle about it now, but at the time, it angered and frustrated me enough to consider leaving the hobby.

Dave Miedema

gameused
11-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Bobby, first let me say you are one of the best at photomatching items...I speak from experience on the Martinez items I purchased from you. I can certainly understand your frustration trying to help other collectors with photomatches only to have them turn and sell the item immediately.

Personally if I was going to ask someone to help with a photomatch to help me sell an item, I would like to think I would send them something as a "thank you". It is difficult to guess someone's intentions but it sounds like this has happened to you more than once. The bottom line is that people who feel taken advantage of are less likely to help another collector in the future which is unfortunate.

Hi Greg,

Thank's for the compliments! Actually when I posted the thread I was not referring to anything that happened to me in particular.

I have helped a number of members with photo matches in the past and they always ask if they can pay me through paypal, if it's something simple and for their personal collection I say I dont need anything. If it's something where I spend hours searching and they intend to sell the item we come to an agreement on the amount on compensation for the work.

I'm referring to the person that comes on the forum, asking for help and just wants to sell his or her item to increase his profit with a solid photo match. I feel that these people should be upfront and honest with their intentions before they ask for help.

Thanks,
Bobby

yankees506
11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
I can vouch for Bobby as he has helped me many times in my purchases including his area if collecting aka manny with no expectation of compensation. I do see how a person asking for "help" for lets say a "holy grail" to only turn around and flip an item can be frustrating. I've seen this numerous times on the forum and it is truly disappointing.

solarlottry
11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I agree 100%. if someone asks for help with a match for the sole purpose of reselling/selling an item, for a profit then the "matchmaker" should get a small fee/token of their appreciation.

It takes time to photo-match these game used items. Just ask my wife!!! On saturday night I spent over 3 hours watching the 2nd half of the 1994 49er-Charger regular season game, trying to matchup only 2 jerseys! I managed to come up with definitive matches for my Deion Sanders, Eric Davis and Bryant Young gamers. Thats over 3 hours watching half of a football game just to match 3 gamers. The funny thing is that I already knew that these 3 shirts had been worn in that particular game!!! I cant imagine the time it would take to match up jerseys where it is unknown what game or season they were worn or if the film tape or images are scarce.

Whenever I ask for matching help, I always offer a reward. For the last shirt that I asked for help (TO Bengals worn vs. Steelers on MNF last season) I paid the member 50$. I still hope that the match is real as that shirt was acquired via JO! I have no reason to believe it is not but with all of this "stuff" going on who knows.

If anyone wishes to help me with some photo-matching please email me and I will offer between 25-100$ for a match depending on the difficulty of the match. I have a shirt right now I would love some help with so if anyone is interested shoot me an email!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49er GU items.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

spartanservitto
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I try to help out any way I can, I used to do it for anyone asking. I also keep EVERYTHING I put on here and I appreciate the guys who have to come to my aid in making my Avila collection, If it wasn't for them I couldn't have got them inscribed like I did. That being said, I dont purchase enough for it to be worth the money for MLB tv. When I get more of a full time lawyer gig and I can purchase multiple Items a month, I will definitely purchase it to enhance to collection in the future.

-Tony

I agree 100%. if someone asks for help with a match for the sole purpose of reselling/selling an item, for a profit then the "matchmaker" should get a small fee/token of their appreciation.

It takes time to photo-match these game used items. Just ask my wife!!! On saturday night I spent over 3 hours watching the 2nd half of the 1994 49er-Charger regular season game, trying to matchup only 2 jerseys! I managed to come up with definitive matches for my Deion Sanders, Eric Davis and Bryant Young gamers. Thats over 3 hours watching half of a football game just to match 3 gamers. The funny thing is that I already knew that these 3 shirts had been worn in that particular game!!! I cant imagine the time it would take to match up jerseys where it is unknown what game or season they were worn or if the film tape or images are scarce.

Whenever I ask for matching help, I always offer a reward. For the last shirt that I asked for help (TO Bengals worn vs. Steelers on MNF last season) I paid the member 50$. I still hope that the match is real as that shirt was acquired via JO! I have no reason to believe it is not but with all of this "stuff" going on who knows.

If anyone wishes to help me with some photo-matching please email me and I will offer between 25-100$ for a match depending on the difficulty of the match. I have a shirt right now I would love some help with so if anyone is interested shoot me an email!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49er GU items.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

gadsden86
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm kinda new to this whole photomatching thing. I am new here but been on the online community for a long time. I asked for some help in photomatching for my jersey as the photos i looked for had 2 people come to me to help. If i was looking to sell then i would have no problem compensating them.If its a personal item then if you and the other come to an agreement to give them money than thats up to them i think. If they tell you upfront they need said amount than at least you can say thanks or no thanks.
I would love to be able to do it myself but alot of sites you have to have a comercial account or cost 200+ for 1 photo you cant even print out.

Sorry if this seems like i'm rambling. :D

frikativ54
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Personally, I feel that if the seller uses those photo matches that were obtained for "free" and makes a profit selling that particular item, that he or she should send some compensation to the person who found the match as they spent their time and put some effort into helping that person out.

I agree with you that compensating the person that found the match is the courteous way to go. However, I'm not sure if it is obligatory. If the photomatch can be found in a matter of minutes, and then the person decides to sell it, I don't think it's much of an issue. Nor do I think the person photomatching needs to be compensated in this case. What I object to is someone constantly soliciting free help just for profits' sake.

If someone is constantly asking for photomatch help and is doing this only for resell purposes, then I think that a fee is a good idea. However, why does it always have to fall on the person asking for the match to set the price? I think a lot of problems could be eliminated if those doing the matching charge an hourly fee. Then that eliminates any expectation that you are doing someone a favor and that that person will thus hold on to the item.

frikativ54
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Bobby:

I am 100% in agreement with you. That's one of the reasons I stopped setting up at shows...I got tired of sellers and collectors refusing to even look at my sales items but coming by for my "blessing" on an item they bought from someone else. Hell, around 1990, I actually had some troll follow me into the men's room at the old St. Louis Holiday Inn show to ask me what I thought of his purchase.:mad: :mad: :mad: I can chuckle about it now, but at the time, it angered and frustrated me enough to consider leaving the hobby.

Dave Miedema

Instead of becoming angry, just charge a fee for your advice. All you have to do is say $50 per hour - or whatever your price may be - for jersey authentication. Make a sign and put it at your table.

Otherwise, people might just assume that you like giving the advice, and therefore, they feel free to ask you to "give your blessing" on, say, a jersey. Even if it is in the men's room.

legaleagle92481
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't know much about photo-matching. In my collecting career the only jersey I have matched is an Adrian Peterson that had such huge dirt stains on the numbers that a five year old could have matched it. If I were to ask one of you guys for help I would expect to pay you for it. When I do work I don't do it for free nor do I expect anyone else to. Everyone's time is valuable and they deserve to be compensated for it. My feelings are the same whether the jersey is going to be flipped or held because eventually everyone's stuff will be sold be it next week or 50 years from now.

freddiefreeman5
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Just say no.

sox83cubs84
11-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Instead of becoming angry, just charge a fee for your advice. All you have to do is say $50 per hour - or whatever your price may be - for jersey authentication. Make a sign and put it at your table.

Otherwise, people might just assume that you like giving the advice, and therefore, they feel free to ask you to "give your blessing" on, say, a jersey. Even if it is in the men's room.

These days, I generally don't offer examinations at shows...but less because of feeling used and more because of not having my computer files with me at shows. With the advancements in forgery and proliferation of pro-cuts, in many if not most cases, photo referencing is a must. Plus, now that I'm not investing in a show table and not making expenses while being approached for opinions, the occasional inquiry doesn't rub me the wrong way like it once did. If someone wants a written LOA, though, I charge a fee...no ifs ands or buts.

Dave Miedema