PDA

View Full Version : Guilt over a good deal?

godwulf
11-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you ever experienced a pang of guilt, or maybe something akin to sympathy for a seller, because you got something you think is cool and collection-worthy for almost nothing?

Let me make it clear - I'm not talking about getting a bargain from some big, soulless pro seller (and you know who you are...:D ), but from somebody just listing a few odd things on eBay (who knows...maybe to scratch up some Christmas money), and you're the only bidder and get an item for an almost embarrassingly low price.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I recently won the auction for a minor league bat signed by 30+ players some years ago, and even with shipping it only came out to less than twenty bucks. This guy went to all the trouble to get those signatures, and was probably pretty excited to have done so at the time. Thirteen years later, he needs some dough and lists this bat on eBay, and he only gets a lousy $9.99 (less PayPal fees) for it.

Is my sympathy misplaced? Am I conjuring up the worst possible scenario for this seller's situation unnecessarily? Don't you ever feel sort of the same way when you go to a card show and there's one guy at a table with a bunch of fairly sad offerings, and he looks like he's about to cry because nobody is interested in his stuff?

CampWest
11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I have on a couple ocassions offered to a seller that they could cancel a transaction rather than complete the sale to me.

I could have easily flipped the items and tripled or better my money or kept them in my collection at a heck of a price, but figured a small gesture of kindness out in the world is sometimes better than getting an unreasonably good deal.

But I don't ever feel bad about winning an auction, I can't control that others didn't bid. I did my part and put in a fair bid.

Sympathy is a good thing to have, too many people care only about themselves. But at the same time, its not your fault that their asking price was too low, a bad description, bad timing, or just dumb luck that nobody else bid.

yanks12025
11-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Are there autos that are big money? Because maybe not many people were interested.

yanks12025
11-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Never mind I didn't realize you were talking that you bought the item years ago. Read it wrong.

But I understand what your saying, I've felt guilt before alittle specially knowing when the item is worth more than what I paid. But besides that, it's all part of life/the hobby.

godwulf
11-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Never mind I didn't realize you were talking that you bought the item years ago. Read it wrong.

No, actually you read it right; the bat was signed years ago...I bought it a couple of days ago.

No huge stars on the bat. Robby Hammock, Steve Sparks, Lloyd McClendon, Juan Pierre are probably the best-known names. It was signed by players for the Lancaster Stealth, the championship team of the (one year only) California Fall League in 1999. I'm a big Fall and Winter League fan and booster, and I was happy to get it because of that connection only.

brewcrew
11-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I know I've overpaid for certain items and underpaid for others, and in my mind it all evens out in the end.

However, I probably sold some items on eBay for too little back in the day because I didn't know what I had. Then again, I sold a couple of retail authentics on the Bay in the last few months for a much more significant amount than I would have thought. So again, it all evens out. :)

David
12-01-2011, 01:34 AM
If you get steal in an auction you can be doing the the seller a service by preventing the item from selling at an even lower price.

gadsden86
12-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Like Campwest said you cant controll that others do not bid on the item as well. You can feel bad as you are only Human but you just put in your bid and let it ride. No one else wanted it so you got it for what i'm assuming the sellers lowest asking price was.

lakeerie92
12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I normally have a price in mind I want for an item and if I get that then I am happy. I don't worry about getting the maximum dollar amount because that takes too long. I am normally selling to get money for a purchase.

I recently had a bat that a forum member wanted to buy from me at $300. I countered at $350 and they never emailed me back. I listed it on eBay and ended up getting over $500 for it immediately after listing it. I definitely would have let it go for the $350 though.

legaleagle92481
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Have you ever experienced a pang of guilt, or maybe something akin to sympathy for a seller, because you got something you think is cool and collection-worthy for almost nothing?

Let me make it clear - I'm not talking about getting a bargain from some big, soulless pro seller (and you know who you are...:D ), but from somebody just listing a few odd things on eBay (who knows...maybe to scratch up some Christmas money), and you're the only bidder and get an item for an almost embarrassingly low price.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I recently won the auction for a minor league bat signed by 30+ players some years ago, and even with shipping it only came out to less than twenty bucks. This guy went to all the trouble to get those signatures, and was probably pretty excited to have done so at the time. Thirteen years later, he needs some dough and lists this bat on eBay, and he only gets a lousy $9.99 (less PayPal fees) for it.

Is my sympathy misplaced? Am I conjuring up the worst possible scenario for this seller's situation unnecessarily? Don't you ever feel sort of the same way when you go to a card show and there's one guy at a table with a bunch of fairly sad offerings, and he looks like he's about to cry because nobody is interested in his stuff?

Don't feel guilty he enjoyed the item from 13 years. The bat probably cost him under $20 bucks and he probably got the autographs for free so he is not out much if anything. The item is because of the players involved not one that is going to bring huge money or attract great collector interest. The guy probably just got tired of it or ran out of room for it and wanted to move it. It is different if you trick somebody into selling you a valuable item cheap.

camarokids
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I recently won an item ( I think it was a bobblehead). The seller was new to ebay and offered free shipping. I won the item for $5. After receiving the item I sent the seller $5 to cover the shipping. The seller appreciated it.

camarokids
12-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh btw, I would not call it guilt. But I felt bad for the seller since they were new to ebay.

NEFAN
12-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I have paid way too much and way too little for some items. It all works out in the end.