PDA

View Full Version : Which original NFL teams wore Sand-Knit 1940-1980?

terryzom
12-02-2011, 01:30 AM
All? Most? Every one except x and y? I pretty sure the Bears, Lions, Pack, Giants, Eagles and Redskins all did, but I'm looking for a definitive list if anyone knows. Swear I read somewhere that even stuff tagged Wilson was actually being made by Sand-Knit for a time, much as Ripon has continued doing in modern times. Help is appreciated!

both-teams-played-hard
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I have no knowledge of the Bears ever wearing Sand-Knit.

hockeytigers
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I have Eagles, Rams, Lions, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Browns jerseys that are Sand Knits...

cohibasmoker
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
I have Eagles, Rams, Lions, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, and Browns jerseys that are Sand Knits...

How about the Steelers and Jets?

genius
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Falcons and Steelers for certain since I have a few. Colts definitely as well, they wore "Sand Aire" for Super Bowl V (prototype material for warm-weather games if I'm not mistaken).

G1X
12-03-2011, 03:33 AM
With regards to durene jerseys, here are a few that are in my collection or that I've seen first-hand in other collections that are not Sand Knit. Note that MacGregor was not associated with Sand Knit until the 1980s:

1950s Philadelphia Eagles - MacGregor
Mid-1950s Washington Redskins - Powers
Late-1950s Detroit Lions - Rawlings
Late-1950s/early '60s Baltimore Colts - MacGregor
1960s Chicago Bears - King O'Shea
1960s Dallas Cowboys - Southland
1967 Atlanta Falcons black jersey (1-year style with white Falcon sleeve logos) - Rawlings
Late-1960s St. Louis Cardinals - Russell Southern
Early-1970s Chicago Bears - Wilson
Early-1970s San Francisco 49ers - Wilson
Early-1970s Detroit Lions - Wilson (Lions switched to Wilson only on their white durene jerseys circa 1971 as they continued to wear Sand Knit in their blue durenes)

Most teams started wearing mesh jerseys by the early 1970s although many teams would occasionally wear durenes in cold-weather games. Sand Knit remained the dominant supplier in the 1970s, but Russell became more active and became the supplier of teams such as Atlanta, Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Miami. Wilson was the supplier of a few teams such as San Francisco and Chicago during the decade.

Also of note is that in addition to the manufacturer's tag, some of the older jerseys carry the tag of the local sporting goods store that supplied the team.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

both-teams-played-hard
12-03-2011, 03:48 AM
Great information, Mark. Powers is one of my favorite manufacturers. I would really like to see an example of one of the 50s Redskins' shirts.

terryzom
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I have no knowledge of the Bears ever wearing Sand-Knit.I have heard there is an unknown period where the jerseys were made by Sand-knit and then tagged Wilson, much like Ripon does in the recent era. Factors like that make it very hard to pinpoint.

That's a helpful summation, Mark. So the Eagles never wore Sand-knit? I'm trying to determine the fate of this ca.1954(?) piece:
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae224/terryzom/file-27.jpg
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae224/terryzom/th_file-29.jpg (http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae224/terryzom/?action=view&current=file-29.jpg)

terryzom
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Correction: should have read "The Eagles didn't wear Sand-knit in the 1950's?" I missed Hockeytiger's mention somehow :confused:

both-teams-played-hard
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Research Notre Dame before Phil Eagles for that green number 17.

terryzom
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Research Notre Dame before Phil Eagles for that green number 17.That would be awesome as well, turns up Jim Morse, ND halfback from 1954, 55, 56 seasons. Irish wore Wilson in 1950's though no? I'd think my manufacturer alt. tagging statement not relevant back in that era...

both-teams-played-hard
12-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes. Wilson in the 50s. I doubt that is ND, but I would still research late 50s early 60s.

G1X
12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Regarding my previous post, the dates I listed are for the specific jerseys in my collection and jerseys I have seen in other collections. For example, the Eagles jersey in my collection is from the 1950s, but I am unable to pinpoint the exact year. My intention was not to imply that the Eagles wore only MacGregor in the 1950s as they could have been supplied by other manufacturers during the decade.

Hope this helps to clarify the dates I listed.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

terryzom
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Mark and BTPH for the help on the specific piece I'm trying to ID. I know in all likelihood it's an amateur piece, but it'd be nice to find out for sure what it is.

Please keep the Sand-knit data coming for any other teams that roll in!

invintagewetrust
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Not that I would completely rule out this being a college and or pro shirt, BUT a rule of thumb among distinguising unknown game worn shirts of any era from my experience is the size. Your shirt is sized a 38, which would make me lean towards it being a high school shirt. I can talk just from my personal experience in researching vintage unknown game worn shirts.

G1X - I believe that the Eagles also wore Mitchell and Ness in the either the late 50's or early 60's. Would love to see photos of the Powers Redskins as well, sounds very interesting.

Dewey2007
12-06-2011, 02:21 AM
I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey

both-teams-played-hard
12-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I have these pics to contribute to the thread. Wilson tagging from a 1968 Houston Oilers durene. Sand Knit tagging from a 1970 Oakland Raiders jersey

Thanks for the photos, Dewey. This is why this stuff is confusing. The Raiders jersey surely could have been used in 1970. However, the Sand-Knit tag was originally manufactured in the late 50s to the very early 60s. Recycled or "carry-over" styles should always be considered, especially football.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4193/raiderstagging.jpg

G1X
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

invintagewetrust
12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
G1X,

I wasn't aware the Eagles had a double tagged Macgregor/Mitchell and Ness shirt, very cool. I actively collect jackets and athletic garments (none jerseys) from mitchell and ness (vintage, the none throwback retro one's).

I'm sure BTPH and myself would both love to see the Redskins if you ever get permission to shoot and post it.

Good thread.

G1X
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry it took so long to take photos and make this post. The Holidays kept me on the run!

The first photo is the Powers tail tag on the mid-1950s 'Skins jersey that several of you requested to see. The remaining photos are of jerseys with tail tagging that includes the local sporting goods suppliers (including the Eagles jersey with both the MacGregor tag and Mitchell & Ness tag).

A few more photos coming in a second post.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

MID-1950s WASHINGTON REDSKINS

1950s PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

MID-1950s DETROIT LIONS

CIRCA-1970 DETROIT LIONS

CIRCA-1970 CINCINNATI BENGALS

EARLY-1970s MINNESOTA VIKINGS

G1X
01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Here are a few more jerseys with tagging that includes the local sporting goods supplier.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

1975 BIRMINGHAM VULCANS (WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE)

1975 ATLANTA FALCONS

1984 ATLANTA FALCONS

LATE-1970s/Early 1980s ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

EARLY-1970s KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

1985 PORTLAND BREAKERS (USFL)

terryzom
02-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Just caught up with these recent updates... those tags are *amazing*, Mark. Thanks for sharing them!

HassanWM
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I have a St Louis Cardinals jersey with Sand Knit tagging. I am assuming that would be from the early-mid 70s?

cohibasmoker
11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
invintagewetrust,

My Eagles jersey has both a MacGregor tag and a Mitchell & Ness tag. Mitchell & Ness is the local Philadelphia sporting goods store that supplied the Eagles during that era. Years later, they became more well-known for their classic "throwback" jerseys.

I believe that cohibasmoker (Jim) has a lot of knowledge on Mitchell & Ness and their association with the Eagles, so maybe he can provide some input on that subject.

I'll try to post some various tagging photos of my durene and other jerseys that include local sporting goods store tagging. The 'Skins with the Powers tag is not my jersey, but I will see if I can get permission from the owner to post photos.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Mark - I've seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor with and without Mitchell and Ness tags. I've also seen Eagles jerseys made by MacGregor bearing Pearson's tags. On or around 1965, I noticed a variation of sleeve fonts on Eagles jerseys and about that time, I saw a Pearson ad in a Eagles 1965 program with Rawlings being a supplier to the Eagles.

Contrary to popular belief, Rawlings did supply game jerseys to the Eagles. Of interest is, the tags are on the back flap of the jersey and with the Rawlings tag, that may or may NOT be a Pearson's tag.

I'd like to add that the earliest Sand-knit tag I've seen on a Eagles jersey is 1970.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net