PDA

View Full Version : Joe Namath Jersey - 8D Auctions

beantown
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Chris,

Hello...I was looking at the above mentioned auction listing and something caught my eye...

http://8dauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=251&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=Circa-Early-1970

I started to reference photos of Namath wearing a Champion Mesh Jersey w/ Silk Screened Numbers and Name and noticed that the photos I was coming across, showed Namath in a similar style jersey, however, the jersey Namath is wearing does not have the large white stripe on the sleeves.

The photos I referenced, show that Namath had the large white stripe on the sleeves cut off and in some intances the jersey sleeves appear to be un hemmed, while others show the sleeves appearing to be hemmed. I know these photos aren't the end all be all for Namath, but if someone can find a photo of Namath wearing this style jersey with unaltered sleeves, please post.

Here are some photos depicting Namath with the modified sleeves...

bobw
12-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I have a few slides of Namath vs the Baltimore Colts with the white showing:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/bobw_photos/Sports%20Collectibles/img854a.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/bobw_photos/Sports%20Collectibles/img854b.jpghttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/bobw_photos/Sports%20Collectibles/img809a.jpg

I have a few more if interested

beantown
12-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Hello...yes, those photos due show the white sleeve stripe material, however, I believe that is a tackle twill, durene jersey....you can tell by the #1 font, which is different than the Champion silk screened jersey...

Flamechicken
12-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Bobw, do you have any pics of Namath wearing a jersey that shows the white stripe and the updated #1 that match the auction jersey numbering? The photos you posted look like they might be an earlier style jersey based on the numbering.

Thanks,
Mike

ChrisCavalier
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey Guys,

Let me check on this and get back to you either later today or tomorrow at the latest. I have some meetings today but will try to post a reply today if possible.

Thanks,
Chris

Flamechicken
12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Chris,
Any update on this?

Thanks,
Mike

ChrisCavalier
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
Chris

Flamechicken
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on a number of things and trying to get to this today. To be very candid, I thought we did find an image of what seemed to be a match for the sleeve/style combination but I am trying to go back and find it....I think I'm getting old :-) Again, sorry for the delay and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
Chris

No worries, just checking.

Mike

invintagewetrust
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm definitely not an expert at all on Jets jerseys, but I do know that several auction houses have sold Namath and Jets shirts from the 1973-1975 years, but usually have not included style matches via a photo because they're really aren't a lot of photos of Namath out post 1972 for whatever reason. This shirt I believe is from 1973. My research shows that Namath wore a full sleeve in this 'warm weather' jersey during the first part of both the 1973 and 1974 season. Prior to 1973 I cannot find any evidence of Namath wearing a none cut sleeve mesh jersey. In 1974 Champion issued 'warm weather' shirts without nameplates, and had the name on back screened directly on to the jersey.

Also to note during this era the Jets wore as many as 4 different combinations of font and materal during a season, making there a bunch of jerseys in circulation from this era, and also making a style match that much more difficult.

Anyways just my two cents.

commando
12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Since this is a painting, it would be nice to find the original photograph that was used by the artist.

cohibasmoker
12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
Namath Jets 1972
Namath Jets 1973

Jim

invintagewetrust
12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
The first photo looks like a durene body jersey with sewn on numbering. The second and third shirts look like a match with the white top stitching on the green shoulder panel. Although the 1972 photo does have a cut sleeve, which could lean this being a 1973 issue.

beantown
12-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Went on eBay and used the following searches and found a slew of photos.

Namath Jets 1971
Namath Jets 1972
Namath Jets 1973

Jim

Jim,

Of the three photos you posted, only the middle one is a Champion jersey w/ silk screened numbers....again, this one has the modified sleeves vs. the one being auctioned...

beantown
12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I've referenced additional photos from the period when the jersey would have been received by the consignor...still couldn't match the sleeves as ALL photos of Namath wearing a mesh Champion jersey with silk screened name and numbers, whether its a home or away jersey, pre-season or regular season have the modified sleeves...

BrianK
12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't posted this already. Sleeves appear unaltered. Click video box upper-left to play.
http://www.commercialcloset.org/common/adlibrary/adlibrarydetails.cfm?QID=44&ClientID=11064

beantown
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Unless, someone can show Namath wearing this in a game, I would have to say this is a team issued jersey...in this era, Namath was extremley popular and I'm sure there were alot of requests for his jerseys....here is another current example of this style Namath jersey...again, no alterations to the sleeves...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=69110&c=%5CGame+Worn%2DUsed%5CFootball%5C&t=Open&p=0&s=&offset=20

invintagewetrust
12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Okay, now this is from 1974, you can see that there is no nameplate, BUT the sleeves are uncut and everything else looks good in the video below. I believe the shirt in the 8D auction is a 1973 as the nameplate is present on the back. The link is from week 3 of the 1974 season, Namath close up at about 0:28 seconds in. Looks like by week 4 from this year Namath had started cutting the sleeves again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrClintLongley#p/u/33/Mct7TbUNwFc

beantown
12-07-2011, 06:45 AM
invintagewetrust....nice work!!! That's the DEFINITIVE answer....Namath did wear the unaltered sleeves in game action...thanks for finding this....

beantown
12-07-2011, 06:49 AM
invintagewetrust....nice work!!! That's the DEFINITIVE answer....Namath did wear the unaltered sleeves in game action...thanks for finding this....

Ok...it's way to early and I didn't read invintagewetrust entire post thoroughly....still looking for unaltered sleeves with Namath on nameplate...

invintagewetrust
12-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Beantown, I did say that the video is from 1974 and to the best of my knowledge the Jets didn't wear nameplates on there shirts that year. I can't find any early season Jets footage from 1973, I only have weeks 3, and 9 with Jets games, both of which show Namath wearing his cut sleeve. If Namath wore a none cut sleeve in '74 with the lightweight mesh Champion uniform, it is possible he also wore it in 1973, its just about tracking down some footage of him during one of those games.

invintagewetrust
12-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Also of note is that Namath only started 5 games in 1973 because of injuries. Finding a photo of the none cut sleeve might be a bit trickier. I think he might only have worn it in weeks 1 or 2. If the pattern from 1974 is any indication of Joe wearing a none cut sleeve as that video I believe is from week 3.

ChrisCavalier
12-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey Guys,

This is a great thread and these type of discussions and collective insights are one of the reasons we created Game Used Universe. We are also researching some more (sorry my personal time has been really limited last few days handling a ton of other things), we want to make sure we are comfortable with the jersey being game used. If there are any questions, we will pull the item until we can be absolutely certain. We did find some of the images that have already been posted with the longer sleeves but we understand the need to match with the font style.

Just wanted to let you know we are still looking into this further as well.

Sincerely,
Chris

Flamechicken
12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Chris,
Any update?

BrianK
12-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Funny, there's a very similar jersey offered at the same time. Seems this happens often.
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=69110

Flamechicken
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Funny, there's a very similar jersey offered at the same time. Seems this happens often.
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=69110

They are similar, but the font is different and the name is screened directly on the jersey.

ChrisCavalier
12-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

I spoke to the consignor of the item and I think the best thing at this point is for us to pull the jersey until we have a bit more research. As discussed, we had found images with Namath wearing these type of sleeves but we want to be 100% confident they were worn with this style jersey, fonts, etc.

As such, we will be pulling the item pending additional research and we will let you know if the item will be available in the future.

Sincerely,
Chris

ChrisCavalier
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Lot has been withdrawn pending additional research.

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread.

Sincerely,
Chris

cohibasmoker
12-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Found this jersey on the Hall of Fame website. Follow the link for the history of the jersey.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/2009/4/21/joe-namath-jersey/

genius
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I think the person who donated it to the HOF has had a memory lapse. I don't see any way that this jersey was made in 1966 or early 1967. Looks like a legit jersey as far as an actual team item but whether Namath actually wore it is another story, and whether this was his training camp jersey in 1967 is yet another story!

cohibasmoker
12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I think the person who donated it to the HOF has had a memory lapse. I don't see any way that this jersey was made in 1966 or early 1967. Looks like a legit jersey as far as an actual team item but whether Namath actually wore it is another story, and whether this was his training camp jersey in 1967 is yet another story!

Off the subject - Jeff, thanks for your help with the helmet. It worked out just fine.

cohibasmoker
09-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I thought I'd resurrect this original thread. This sale brings to mind the following thoughts;

- A friend told me, "the only thing consistent about this hobby is its inconsistencies".

- research is a invaluable tool.

- ideas and opinions change. Years ago, I got an opinion from another collector on a jersey I owned. He told me my jersey was not correct so based on his opinion, I sold the jersey for a song. A year or so later, the jersey sold for thousands of dollars. What pissed me off was, the collector who told me the jersey was not correct, authenticated the same jersey. When I reached out for the collector, he wrote back stating his opinion was based on the information that was known at that time.

Here is the auction that got me thinking.

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=71285

In closing, do your own research and gather as many opinions from as many different sources as possible to formulate your own opinion(s). The Internet makes things a whole lot easier.

Jim

jhunt28
09-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Interesting, that they seem to automatically start with a perfect 10, then deduct a few points for not being able to photo match, or style match this jersey (ie. he never wore this combination)...I guess the closing price speaks for itself, given a legitimate Namath will easily sell for over $25k.

Final Grade: 10 points were assigned after jersey was evaluated for proper manufacturing, sizing, numbering, lettering, etc. 2 points were subtracted for sleeves not consistent with available images