PDA

View Full Version : No Way Nolan Ryan Signed This!!!

DoctorLoomis
12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250943334276?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

I don't care if PSA certifies this signature 1000 times....Nolan Ryan didn't sign this baseball. Thoughts?

DoctorLoomis
12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Guys I am sorry....I posted wrong link. Here is the baseball...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOLAN-RYAN-PSA-DNA-AUTOGRAPH-BASEBALL-AMERICAN-LEAGUE-SIGNED-/280779908504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415fc96598

TBTwinsFan
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Looks good to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-NOLAN-RYAN-AUTO-PATCH-JERSEY-BAT-1-1-HIGH-END-LOT-/400257282896?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d31317350

xpress34
12-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I have to back Dr L on this... I personally own over 40 Ryan autos - most of which have been gotten in person or through his foundation and NONE look that sloppy... I've seen Nolan sign sitting, standing and walking and his auto is consistent...

I don't care if it has a PSA DNA case - I want to see the sticker and the Cert #.

I just sent this to the seller:

Hello -

Not trying to cause a stir, but I have been collecting Nolan for over 20 years and this auto has me scratching my head... would you please post the PSA/DNA Cert # from the sticker that should be on the ball?

Thanks!

Smitty

I'll let you know if I get a response.

- Smitty

xpress34
12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
And another eBay JACKASS seller...

I posted a very polite question and got this back (yes, in CAPS as posted):

Dear lumber_jack_bat_co,

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BUYING IT OR PLAYING EBAY POLICE IT IS WITH STICKER AND CERT CARD ,

- khw

So I am responding with this:

Wow. If you must know, a friend who knows I've collected Ryan for years asked me to take a look at it which is why I asked. But, like too many eBay sellers, instead of having a polite response to my polite inquiry, you type in all CAPS (the equivalent of eMail YELLING) and come off like a jack ass.

I will definately NOT be recommending you to ANY of my friends.

GOOD DAY!

And he's an eBay store!?!? Not sure how he expects an attitude like that will win any more buyers...

- Smitty

David
12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
A veteran dealer once said that, even if the autograph is genuine, if the signature is unusual you should save your money for the standard signature. This is because the standard signature is easier to sell. The odd one people will have questions about. He was talking about a Joe DiMaggio ball.

xpress34
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I just got this back fro the seller - my guess is he is paranoid or has something to hide:

Dear lumber_jack_bat_co,

it was caps because i am busy typing tittles to list stuff . like i said are you interested or just playing ebay police, so like i thought , ebay police within the past day i have had 1 feedback mike websters brother tell me all of them are bad and last week eric show relative tell me a gpc from san diego was bad, not to mention the hundreds of emails asking who is the president on a ball trying to prove something is wrong all my items i have done by psa , myself , what you were doing was hinting it was fake and i faked it and the psa is bogus , so to be honest i have owned maybe 100 times the amt of ryans you and your friend added together , the ball is good so good luck...email psa if you have a problem

- khw

So I sent this back. I'm not going to take this BS from some guy who I simply asked a question of:

Dude -

Seriously. Why are you so angry? I asked a simple honest question and you've acted like a complete jerk to me. If this is how you run your business, good luck. Since you know nothing about me, you have no idea how many Ryans I now own or have owned but I really doubt you have owned 10,000+ Ryan autos (your comment about 100 times the amount).

I asked for my friend, because yes, I have seen balls put in PSA cases before with no sticker. I never accused you of anything, but your responses certainly raises more questions... and really nice - contact PSA if I have a problem? Really with no Cert # which is what started this whole deal... I have no idea who Mike Webster or Eric are or what the hell GPC for San Diego is??? Your response just started rambling incoherently.

I'm sorry you are paranoid or have had bad experiences, but that's no reason to take it out on anyone who asks a question - especially since this was my 1st ever contact with you. And - honestly - you have NO idea how many people I know in the hobby (I will just say I have worked for Rawlings, Nike and the Colorado Rockies - part of why my friend contacted me) and I will make sure that I add you to my list of rude, surly dealers NOT to do business with.

To finish, most of my Ryan autos have been obtained in person through meet & greets while growing up in Dallas, TX and then through Nike in Beaverton, OR and finally through Rawlings with corporate connections.

Have an Awesome Holiday Season.

Hope this thread is giving everyone a chuckle... I'm just going to keep killing him with kindness while still hammering him...

xpress34
12-03-2011, 07:23 PM
So, I would suggest keeping clear of this guy:

eBay Seller KHW (http://myworld.ebay.com/khw/?_trksid=p4340.l2559)

Something just feels weird when a guy goes this nuts over a simple question... red flags... is he hiding something?

- Smitty

gadsden86
12-03-2011, 07:33 PM
He blocked me sometime back from his auctions b/c i supposedly lowballed him on a auto.
I offed 17 for an auto he wanted 39 was so mad i asked for lower than it cost to slab it.

DoctorLoomis
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Thank you Smitty. As I said, Nolan Ryan did not sign that baseball.

xpress34
12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Just in:

Dear lumber_jack_bat_co,

FAIR ENOUGH JUST WOUnd up listing stuff i have more ryans than anybody if you ever need one email me and i will see what i can do, ebay is a tough ride , get worked up too often , i do promise though it was done by psa in chicago 2 weeks ago let me know if you need anything and i do apologize kirk

- khw

So I will send a kind response and leave it at that for now.

DoctorLoomis
12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't know what is more shocking....the Ryan autograph....or his butchering of the English language and complete disregard for proper punctuation.

xpress34
12-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't know what is more shocking....the Ryan autograph....or his butchering of the English language and complete disregard for proper punctuation.

I was more shocked that he actually apologized!!!

I did send him a nice note back and left it at that.

I'm guessing this thread has now run it's course.

- Smitty

P.S. - I did mention to him that you can get a Ryan AU ball CERTIFIED by Nolan himself from the Foundation for $70 all day long...

gingi79
12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Nolan Ryan was an obnoxious, douchebag, prick when I over paid to meet him and obtain his autograph in 2003.

When I look at the half missing, ink raped signature baseball I wasted money on, I am furious at how little he cared about his fans and I have a very heavy disdain about him. With all that being said, I can assure you it looks nowhere near as fake, replicated and forged as the one on eBay.

ethanoah
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
This seller was pretty rude a while ago when I made him an offer on a Bob Lemon $36 card (I think I offered $26). He gave me the whole how much this costs to get slabbed lecture.

nycpropain
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
And another eBay JACKASS seller...

I posted a very polite question and got this back (yes, in CAPS as posted):

So I am responding with this:

And he's an eBay store!?!? Not sure how he expects an attitude like that will win any more buyers...

- Smitty

You wherent buying it so your point is irrelevant. He has a point.

ironmanfan
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM

wherent ?

xpress34
12-05-2011, 01:26 PM

He has a point to act like an ahole???

Wow. So if I'm not actually doing any business with you (or anyone else on the board) I can just act like an ahole to you because you aren't buying anything from me just because you ask a question about an item?

Your statement implies (whether intended or not) that unless you are a serious buyer for an item - if you make an inquiry into it's origin or authenticity the buyer has right to act like a jerk?

Which means any of us that questioned JO and the others - even if we had never done or ever planned to do business with them were irrelevant in asking questions about the items authenticity?

My point also being that unless you are some type of mind reader or savant, you have NO IDEA whether I am a serious buyer or not and treating someone the way he treated me for a simple question should NEVER be acceptable.

I guess I don't understand your point...

xpress34
12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
wherent ?

I was going to ask the same question... but you already did...

legaleagle92481
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
The signature does not appear genuine but I have dealt with the seller on some vintage signed checks a couple of years ago I never had a problem. I always felt his prices were fair and he has some hard to find, high quality stuff. I am a check collector and he was one of the best dealers of checks I have come across. Other dealers have crazy pricing on vintage stuff he really doesn't. Just because an autograph is not genuine does not mean he forged it and he paid money to have it authenticated so if anyone this is on PSA not the seller.

BrianK
12-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Not understanding all the ins and out of PSA, I have a question. Is there a reason a seller would not want to reveal the PSA number? Why not just show the hologram or put the number in the description? Is there a danger to the seller?