PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Authentication

BernBabyBern
12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a game used autographed jersey that I'm sending to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Who would you send it to authenticate the signature? PSA/DNA or JSA.

Would like to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks,
Pablo
MAP

trsent
12-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Who is the autograph of?

8D and AM Sports both use PSA/DNA as their opinion carry the best resale value in the industry. Second is not even close.

BernBabyBern
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
It's a Derek Jeter signed 2006 game used jersey. I know the signature is legit just by looking at it. But, figured it would be even easier to sell it with authentication on it.
Thanks for the input.

Pablo

maverick14
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think there is much of a difference in resale value when comparing JSA or PSA. People have their preferences on which one for whatever reason but when it comes down to it as long as it's from one of the 2 you'll be fine.

frikativ54
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Who is the autograph of?

8D and AM Sports both use PSA/DNA as their opinion carry the best resale value in the industry. Second is not even close.

I think when inexperienced collectors see the acronym "DNA" in the title, they assume that it was DNA tested. I may have been dumb as a teenager, but this is truly what I thought.

You wouldn't believe the number of sellers who have assured the authenticity of items to me and have suggested that I perform a DNA test. I'm not joking. :eek: :confused: :o

trsent
12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't think there is much of a difference in resale value when comparing JSA or PSA. People have their preferences on which one for whatever reason but when it comes down to it as long as it's from one of the 2 you'll be fine.

If you search certain name players on eBay over a long period of time, PSA/DNA is much more valuable than JSA. No doubt about it, JSA may be good with vintage sports (baseball) autographs but I wouldn't trust them with many modern autographs.

Odd that PSA/DNA denies authentication to autographs of a player, say, Albert Pujols, and I then see JSA authenticate the same autograph that PSA/DNA found questionable.

So, a general statement can support JSA, but someone who has been in this industry for over 25 years like myself can clearly state that at this moment in time, I would only trust PSA/DNA for authenticating modern autographs.

trsent
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I think when inexperienced collectors see the acronym "DNA" in the title, they assume that it was DNA tested. I may have been dumb as a teenager, but this is truly what I thought.

You wouldn't believe the number of sellers who have assured the authenticity of items to me and have suggested that I perform a DNA test. I'm not joking. :eek: :confused: :o

Never heard that theory before.

PSA, Professional Sports Authenticators, who started as an upstart from PCGS aka Professional Coin Grading Service, were big in grading and authenticating the legitimacy of sports trading cards. They grew into other fields, and created PSA/DNA I believe about 10-12 years ago to give an opinion for the authenticity of autographs.

I believe the reason they choose "DNA" for the title is every item with their sticker placed on it is daubed with a special pen, that is referred to a DNA pen.

From the PSA/DNA web site:

Why PSA/DNA?

The Advantage of PSA/DNA Authentication Services
PSA/DNA Letters of Authenticity are accepted by ALL major auction houses. They include, but are not limited to, Sotheby's, SCP Auctions, Heritage, Legendary, Mile High Card Company, R&R Enterprises and Memory Lane, Inc.

Premium Price and Liquidity
Because potential buyers feel more comfortable purchasing certified items, PSA/DNA collectibles often sell for premium prices due to the strength and credibility of the PSA/DNA brand. Many of the most valuable collectibles in the world have been certified by PSA/DNA.

Confidence
Buyers can be confident that PSA/DNA collectibles have been witnessed or examined for authenticity by the world's leading autograph experts.

Certified for Life
Because PSA/DNA uses an invisible, permanent DNA marker, the authenticity is easily verified.

Verification
The unique certification number can be used to verify the history of any PSA/DNA Certified item simply by typing in the serial number online!

PSA/DNA's covert DNA-laced ink is extremely durable and almost impossible to replicate! The chance of duplicating our DNA strand is 1 in 33 trillion!

Recertification is easy! Items with lost certificates or missing labels can be verified. We simply check for the DNA using our specially calibrated laser and issue a new label and certificate!

In closing, no one was trying to trick anyone. They choose that title for their use of DNA marking items with an invisible mark if ever needed for verification purposes.

trsent
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a Derek Jeter signed 2006 game used jersey. I know the signature is legit just by looking at it. But, figured it would be even easier to sell it with authentication on it.
Thanks for the input.

Pablo

Pablo, is the jersey already certified by Steiner or someone else for game used?

The autograph authenticators will only give an opinion on the autograph itself. If your jersey doesn't have any paperwork, I would submit it to MEARS for 3rd party authentication of the game use of the jersey. Then I would only use PSA/DNA to verify the autograph.

Best of luck to you!

David
12-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Yes, the DNA refers to the synthetic DNA they apply to the item. It's viewable only under a special laser, thus marks the ball invisibly.

David
12-05-2011, 02:25 AM
And no doubt they added the DNA to the name in part because it sounded catchy.

David
12-05-2011, 02:26 AM
This is my specialty, so I should add that GAI used to also use the DNA daub. And authenticonline.com used a special microscopic device that made a SUPER closeup image of a small part of the item and that could later be verified just as the DNA is.

David
12-05-2011, 02:28 AM
And one very last point (I promise). GAI originally was top notch for autographs, when under the direction of Mike Gutierrez. But Gutierrez went to Heritage Auctions and GAI slowly but surely deteriorated. So a GAI LOA with Gutierrez signature is from back when they were good and respected.

trsent
12-05-2011, 05:37 AM
And one very last point (I promise). GAI originally was top notch for autographs, when under the direction of Mike Gutierrez. But Gutierrez went to Heritage Auctions and GAI slowly but surely deteriorated. So a GAI LOA with Gutierrez signature is from back when they were good and respected.

That's great but when you see an item with GAI sell for $200 and with PSA/DNA sell for $600 on eBay you know there is a problem, no matter when the letter was written.

I am pretty sure the pen they use is a "DNA" pen which is why they choose the name. I don't know what is so catchy about those letters when authenticating an autograph or a bat.

BernBabyBern
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like PSA/DNA would be best for the signature authentication.

Joel - Jersey was sourced from a reliable non-Steiner source. That's why I'm sending it to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Pablo

kprst6
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I personally know people at JSA.

That being said, no knock against authenticating services, but I don't value a COA/LOA or any type of certificate, document, or picture that tries to prove an autograph is real or not.

Unless the autograph can be somehow photo-matched to a picture taken at the exact time an item was signed, you can never prove or disprove the authenticity of an autograph. It all comes down to the buyers judgment and some people "value" COA's, but I don't think real collectors value a COA/LOA of an autograph at all.

Dewey2007
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
There are tons of pics of Jeter available so why not try and save yourself the authentication fees and try and photomatch it yourself? I'm sure there are folks on the site who might be willing to help for free or charge a lot less then a company like Mears would. Plus a photomatch is better then anyone's LOO any day.

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Looks like PSA/DNA would be best for the signature authentication.

Joel - Jersey was sourced from a reliable non-Steiner source. That's why I'm sending it to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Pablo

kprst6
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I would also argue that if an item is questionable to the point that you need it "authenticated" than the item will always be questionable even if it's "authenticated". Just because a piece of paper and someone's opinion that you paid for says it's real, doesn't make it more or less real.

otismalibu
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Just because a piece of paper and someone's opinion that you paid for says it's real, doesn't make it more or less real.

True, but that piece of paper will help with the sale price.

Why does someone pass on an eBay item but then pay 3x the amount for the same item when it's offered by a major auction house?

The paperwork.

David
12-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Tristar and a few other companies only give COAs/holos for autographs they witness in person, with the player under contract to sign. That's why Tristar, UDA and Steiner holographs are valued.

legaleagle92481
12-05-2011, 05:20 PM
I have a game used autographed jersey that I'm sending to MEARS for authentication on the game use.

Who would you send it to authenticate the signature? PSA/DNA or JSA.

Would like to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks,
Pablo
MAP

Pablo,

How are you selling it? Before you spend money getting stuff authenticated if your going to auction it via n auction house they will take care of that for you without charging you. Thats what part of the seller's premium covers. Most auction houses will have the signature authenticated by PSA or JSA and have their own experts look at the jersey. I just wanted to point this out because authentication is not cheap and if you use a major auction house your paying double if you pay for it yourself.

David
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
My opinion is the PSA, JSA or other LOA is one of multiple opinions you should use when purchasing. The other opinions can include your judgment, the seller (start with purchasing from reputable knowledgeable sellers!!!!!!!) and others (fellow collectors, other).

I don't think anyone, including PSA or JSA, has ever said you should purchase based only on the LOA. I believe if James Spence says collectors should educate themselves before buying.

David
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Remove the if from the last sentence. Spence does say collectors you educate themselves.

BernBabyBern
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow. Didn't think this topic would create such a buzz.
Actually thinking of getting the jersey authenticated more to raise the resale value if I decided to sell it. I have no issues on the jersey as I know it came from a reliable clubhouse source. On the autograph ( will post a pic shortly). I know just by looking at it it's legit. Again just want to add a respectible official opinion on the signature.

Again thanks for everyone's opinion.

Pablo

BernBabyBern
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Here is the pic of the autograph. I'll try and get an even closer up.

Pablo