PDA

View Full Version : Paypal

Nnunnari
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I know that this has been covered before but I am too lazy to look it up. Is there anyway around the 4% of your sales price that Paypal takes? I know that there is the "payment owed" option but can this be linked through an eBay auction?

Thanks,

Nick

camarokids
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Have the buyer send a money order. But the buyer can send paypal if they wish. Just eat the 4% or raise the price to make up the difference.

Nnunnari
12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Nevermind, I just found the old link, looks like there is no way around it.

both-teams-played-hard
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
What is the rule about personal check thru PayPal? I thought that was cheaper.

Dewey2007
12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
A forum member sent me a check through Paypal awhile back. It took a few days but if I remember correctly there were no transaction fees taken out on my end. I'll try and double check this to confirm. Using this method of payment though would all depend on the buyer having the amount in their checking account at the time to cover the payment.

What is the rule about personal check thru PayPal? I thought that was cheaper.

frikativ54
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Just eat the 4% or raise the price to make up the difference.

+1.

I just don't understand what the point is in circumventing PayPal fees. They are the price of doing business. 4 percent never seemed like that much to me, and whenever I sell, I always pay the fee for the service I am getting (i.e., instant payment).

earlywynnfan
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree with Frik, we all want our money in about 3 seconds, but gripe about having the company that makes this possible taking a small percentage?? Should they provide their services for free?

Now complaints against ebay for nearly making us use paypal, that's worthwhile.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Nnunnari
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I agree with Frik, we all want our money in about 3 seconds, but gripe about having the company that makes this possible taking a small percentage?? Should they provide their services for free?

Ken

The gripe is that this used to be a free service for years and now it costs you 4%. It would be cheaper for me to accept credit cards directly at 3%. It's ok to have a service fee but 4% seems high.

emann
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Ken

I see Nnunnari's point, but I'm of the same feeling that Paypal is doing a service which costs a little above what the credit card companies charge anyway to process. Then you need to factor in getting setup to process the card transactions, etc. Too much hassle, unless you're running an actual business. To me, if you're selling a $500 item and Paypal takes $20 for processing your transaction instantly, I think that's fair.

I do think the ebay/paypal requirement is bogus though. This is where the fee from Paypal should be lower on ebay transactions if they're going to require everyone use it.

otismalibu
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
The gripe is that this used to be a free service for years and now it costs you 4%.

I think it was initially free, as long as your payments were coming from the account balance of the buyer. Once someone paid via CC, then every subsequent charge would have a fee.

Sure, it would be great if free lasted forever. They're not quite in the auction house ballpark of a $40 take on every $100.

trsent
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
eChecks through PayPal do have fees, but I believe they are capped at $5.00 per transaction.

David
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Don't forget that PayPal allows ordinary people like your or I to accept credit card payments. 20 years ago, this would have been unheard of.

frikativ54
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Don't forget that PayPal allows ordinary people like your or I to accept credit card payments. 20 years ago, this would have been unheard of.

I agree. I remember the early days of eBay, before PayPal really caught on. As a seller, you had to wait for a buyer to send a check by snail mail, you had to wait for it to clear, and you had to wait to hear if the buyer actually received the item. Of course, much waiting could be averted with a money order, but how many people did that?

Now, with PayPal's being standard, you can get instant payment and complete the transaction only a few days after the item has sold. I would pay extra for all this, and I think PayPal has every right to charge us for its service.

Dewey2007
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I just checked my account and I had someone send me an eCheck for $2,000 about 3 month ago and there were no fees taken out on my end. Better then Paypal as a gift option that's for sure.

eChecks through PayPal do have fees, but I believe they are capped at $5.00 per transaction.