PDA

View Full Version : How would you inscribe this?

jetersbatboy
12-15-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm sending a game used ball to be signed and was going to have a inscription put on it. What sounds correct?

2 run, RBI, triple
RBI, 2 run, triple
2 run, triple
Triple, 2 run RBI

The last one is how MLB has it listed. If you have any other suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

gnishiyama
12-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Hey Scott!
Can we assume the ball was hit for a 2 run triple ( 2 runs scored ) or
did the player get:

Triple
2 Runs
1 RBI

for the entire game?

If the ball was hit for a triple that drove in two guys, I think "2-RUN TRIPLE" looks best. (Like a 3-Run Home run)
If there are limitations on characters "2-Run 3B" . You may want to make
sure the playerwill write out the whole "Triple" Some players get annoyed
when asked to write such a long word. (Seriously)

If it was the player's game stats then I think " 3B, 2 Runs, 1 RBI" looks the best.

jetersbatboy
12-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Thanks Goh!

I should have been more specific, It was a ball hit for a 2 RBI, triple. I should ask about the number characters. That will make difference to what I can put. Thanks again!

joelsabi
12-15-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm sending a game used ball to be signed and was going to have a inscription put on it. What sounds correct?

2 run, RBI, triple
RBI, 2 run, triple
2 run, triple
Triple, 2 run RBI

The last one is how MLB has it listed. If you have any other suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

how about two-run triple? the rbi is assumed.

David
12-15-2011, 03:56 AM
2 run triple

Some of the other ones, including MLB's pick, are downright weird

David
12-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Also, you could have simply "Hit for a triple"

CollectGU
12-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Career Triple #XXX
Career RBI's xxx & xxx

dplettn
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Career Triple #XXX
Career RBI's xxx & xxx

Personally I favor the "career" relevance too... unless it was a walk off or something like that. And, I also think "joelsabi" makes a good point in regards to keeping it simple. Ask yourself what's assumed and also what's really relevant (to you).

I had a similar dilemma with a ball recently that was a 3 RBI double. I had a lot of fun doing the research on what the career RBI and double each were. The research is part of the fun of having the item for me. But at the end of the day, the only inscription I asked for was "Career RBI 115-117" and if it had been a walkoff hit , I probably would have just asked for "xth career walkoff".

Whatever you do, have fun making your choice and don't worry about anything but what you like yourself! Your enjoyment is all that matters.

dplettn
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Personally I favor the "career" relevance too... unless it was a walk off or something like that. And, I also think "joelsabi" makes a good point in regards to keeping it simple. Ask yourself what's assumed and also what's really relevant (to you).

I had a similar dilemma with a ball recently that was a 3 RBI double. I had a lot of fun doing the research on what the career RBI and double each were. The research is part of the fun of having the item for me. But at the end of the day, the only inscription I asked for was "Career RBI 115-117" and if it had been a walkoff hit , I probably would have just asked for "xth career walkoff".

Whatever you do, have fun making your choice and don't worry about anything but what you like yourself! Your enjoyment is all that matters.

As an addendum addendum: another ball where it was (and is) early in the players career I asked him to inscribe dual career stat lines, still keeping it somewhat concise by omitting the implied word "career"

ie: "26th hit (line 1) 6th double (line 2)"

The point I'm trying to make is that different situations call for different ways of balancing simplicity with relevance, even in my own taste for a concise inscription.

frikativ54
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Career Triple #XXX
Career RBI's xxx & xxx

I agree. That makes it have a significance to a player's career. But as another person said, do what makes you happy. :)

maverick14
12-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd go with "Game-used 2011 2-run triple" or whatever other year the ball was used during.

gnishiyama
12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd go with "Game-used 2011 2-run triple" or whatever other year the ball was used during.

Running off of this, " GU+ date+ 2-Run 3B" might look good. Dates can be
tricky since a lot of times players aren't paying attention and they
completely screw up the inscription so simple might be better.

jetersbatboy
12-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys for all the opinions. I real like the career stat idea! I think I'm going to have the ball inscribed "Career Triple #55" or "Hit For Career Triple #55"!

Also, it's a baseball that was hit by Shane Victorino on August, 22 2011

dplettn
12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys for all the opinions. I real like the career stat idea! I think I'm going to have the ball inscribed "Career Triple #55" or "Hit For Career Triple #55"!

Also, it's a baseball that was hit by Shane Victorino on August, 22 2011

Congratulations on your decision, sound really nice! If you choose to put up a picture here when you get it, I'm sure we'd all enjoy to see your item.