PDA

View Full Version : Can Damage Add Value to Game Used Jerseys?

marzomarz
12-17-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm looking at acquiring a GU minor leaugue jersey for a player I like, but the jersey has several holes in the front and back shoulder. Apparently it was damaged in a washing machine while on a road trip. I'd prefer the jersey not show any damage, but part of me says that is classic minor league.

Wanted to hear how others feel about damaged jerseys - good, bad, ugly?

frikativ54
12-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Gotta see pics.

allstarsplus
12-17-2011, 08:45 AM
If the jersey was damaged on the field of play like the David Frese torn off jersey, absolutely added value as it was a very unique HR celebration during the World Series. I wonder if that will be the WalkOff celebration of the future.

http://twitpic.com/76ufdn

Not sure if a Minor League jersey damaged in the washer machine adds value or just becomes a conversation piece.

jppopma
12-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Unless you can verify the damage as part of the game use, I'd say that it is not likely to add and value.

Check out the overall condition of the jersey, it would have to be pretty worn all over before a washer would start to have any tears. The phantom jersey eating road washer sounds a little odd to me.

marzomarz
12-17-2011, 03:18 PM
here are photos.

marzomarz
12-17-2011, 03:19 PM
if it lowers value, by how much do you think it lowers it?

Jags Fan Dan
12-17-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd say quite a bit in my eyes. Looks like it was chewed by a dog, and if it didn't occur while the player was wearing it, it might as well have been chewed by a dog. Just my opinion.

Jags Fan Dan
12-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Also, what in the he11 kind of washing machine does that???!!!:eek:

jppopma
12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Yikes, I'd say a big drop in price (id cut it in about half of what you'd otherwise pay).

Even if this happened by accident, I'd expect the team to repair the jersey and get it back on the field. Minor league teams are known to reusing jersey and I can't see them getting rid of this even with the damage.

The best you can hope for is a photomatch of the jersey with the damage if they kept it in use.

allstarsplus
12-17-2011, 11:08 PM
here are photos.

Is that a Danny Espinosa jersey?

gingi79
12-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Part of what is going against you is the fact so many fans wear game worn jerseys in the secondary market and it looks like a fan mistake. If you can photomatch it to a game, post wear, it goes up in price. Otherwise? Many people would deem it worthless. That is to say, the average fan would stay away for buying it. Regular fans want jerseys with zero wear and game worn collectors will see it as a jersey you wore, tore and destroyed therefore killing any collector interest.

I am not judging you or claiming you personally damaged it, just giving you an average game worn collector opinion if I saw it on eBay.