PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication screw ups

Rickphils1
12-17-2011, 12:11 PM
MLB authentication has set itself up to be the new standard for the game used collector by putting holograms on jerseys in the locker room immediately after witnessing the player take it off. However, it's hard to take them seriously when they continue to be careless with the process. Last year I bought a game issued #15 Lopes jersey at the Phillies holiday sale and when I checked the hologram number it came up as JC Romero who wore #16. I assume they went into the locker and had things arranged in numerical sequence and he was off one. Try that on a standardized test and see how well you score. I contacted MLB via email, got a response that it would be checked and never heard back.

Today I bought a "game used" jersey directly from the Phillies authnetication store and when I got home tried to verify the number and it came up not in their data base. The number ended in 473 so I checked one number lower (...472) and it came up GAME USED authenticated Sept 26, 2010 and one number higher (...474) and it came up TEAM ISSUED autheticated DEC 1, 2010. Both authenticated numbers were of the player I got the holo that was not in their data base. I am awaiting a response back from the Phillies sales and I expect I will return the jersey for a refund. Doesn't say much for them not checking the number before offering it for sale. In the future I will check the number myself on my Droid before paying. Sad situation that these numbers are only as good/bad as the guys slapping them on and recording them.

bd300
12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I was also at the sale today. What jersey did you purchase?

Rickphils1
12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Charlie Manuel 2010 Home with 36 patch

lakeerie92
12-17-2011, 03:03 PM
With as many things as they authenticate there are always mistakes.

As for the jersey not being in the database I had a similar situation with a Mark Teixeira bat a few years back. The Braves marked it down to $100 (from $400) because the hologram wasn't in the system. I emailed MLB and after a month or two they emailed me and said it was put in and sure enough the hologram was in there.

I have a Yankees 2008 final season game used baseball that says it is autographed by Derek Jeter, but it isn't signed at all. I also have a Jeff Francoeur away gray jersey that says it is a home red jersey. I don't mind too much on some issues. I am pleased with the process overall. It is better than nothing.

Rickphils1
12-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Sometimes things don't show up in the data base right away which may have been what happened with your Tex Braves jersey. In mine though, the number sequence skipped from Sep 26 to Dec 10 of 2010. Unlikely that it will show up at any point. I talked to a few friends about other errors including a ball signed by Sal Fasano (clearly his auto) and holo called it Pat Burrell. It isn't rocket science. They need to employ organized, literate people and apparently can't find them even in this economy.

Chris78
12-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I was also at the sale today. What jersey did you purchase?

How was this sale in general compared to last week's holiday sale? I had considered going, but decided against it. Was it the stuff from last week, or new stuff? Also, how were the prices and selection?

Chris

Rickphils1
12-17-2011, 06:37 PM
The sale was on items from the kiosk retail store at Citizen's bank park. Prices were a lot higher than the holiday sale. There were jerseys that were game used (per MLB hologram-see first post) leftovers from the store. The only major player was an Ultey alternate jersey that had been $2000 during the season and discounted to $1500 (still too high), a Madson reduced from $600 to $400, a Blanton cut from $500 to $250 and lots of unsold #42 jerseys from Jackie Robinson days in 2009, 2010 and 2011. They were asking $500 for Oswalt, $400 for Ruiz, etc (these all had #42 on the back). Personally, I think that's a lot of money for jerseys that you have to use the hologram to identify the player who wore them. They also had signed balls (08 WS under logo of Dobbs and Feliz at $30 each), some smudged signed balls for $15, street banners for $50. There were no bats, no helmets. They only had about 50 jerseys at the beginning of the sale and more than 20 were #42. Definitely nothing like the scope of the earlier sale.

bd300
12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I thought the bases were priced well. My dad bought a base from the July 9, 2010 game when Howard hit a walk off homerun against the Reds for $90. The base was used in the 10th inning when he hit the homerun.

I agree, this sale was a lot smaller than last week's.

Dewey2007
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Were the Phillies selling lineup cards at today's sale? If so, what were they asking for them. Also, did anyone see any Rollins banners? Thanks!

G1X
12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
All of this begs these questions to Rickphils1.
- Does the jersey show game use or does it not show game use?
- If the jersey shows good use/wear and you bought it directly from the team, why does it matter what the data base says?
- If the jersey shows game use and the hologram eventually is posted in the data base saying that it is team issued, does that really change the fact that the jersey shows good use/wear?
- And what if a jersey is in gem mint condition but the data base states that the jersey is game worn - does that really make it game worn?

I am not intending to be critical as we all have different comfort levels when it comes to buying jerseys, and I am by no means trying to tell Rick or anyone how to set their parameters. I just think that these are questions worth pondering before asking for a refund on what might otherwise be a jersey that meets your satisfaction (shows use/wear, etc.). No matter how dilligent the various leagues, teams, dealers, etc. are in their attempts to be accurate, mistakes will be made.

Either it is or it isn't a game-worn jersey. Neither a COA, hologram, data base, etc. will ever change the fact of what the jersey actually is.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game used items.

bd300
12-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Were the Phillies selling lineup cards at today's sale? If so, what were they asking for them. Also, did anyone see any Rollins banners? Thanks!

They did have lineup cards but I forget how much they were. I believe they were around $25. They also had Rollins banners and were selling them for $50.

Rickphils1
12-22-2011, 08:40 PM
This thread was started after I got up early in the morning, was first in line waiting in the cold and found out later that the jersey I bought was not documented accurately.

The question was raised to me what difference does it make what the data base states? It makes a big difference. Is it unreasonable to expect that a COA from MLB be correct? I don't buy Phillies jerseys with the idea of reselling them but the hologram certification by MLB is supposed to be the proof that an item was either game used (seen coming off players back after a game) vs. game issued (found in the clubhouse but not verified as worn). The jersey I bought had evidence that it had been washed in the tag inside but no residual dirt or specific wear. Since it was the manager's jersey, I wouldn't expect a lot of wear. The Phillies have had made jerseys available to the public via their kiosk (retail) or charities (auctions, Holiday sale). In the past, the jerseys at the Holiday sale were said to be game used even though in some instances, the players never played a game with the team. The fact that it came from the team means it's either game used or game issued rather than from the back door of the manufacturer. The Phillies retail sales charges a premium for ones designated game used vs game issued. They need to make sure that what they put out for sale matches the hologram.