PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Padres trade--Good, bad or ???

pietraynor
12-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Reds gave up a load of young talent for Latos. Personally, think it was a bit much..any thoughts? Jay

Jags Fan Dan
12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
That was a lot to give, but Alonso was just the odd man out, they really didn't have a spot for him. They have Mesoraco to catch. Volquez has never been able to establish any consistency. It may end up being much better for the Padres, but I think it may have been worth the risk for the Reds.

lakeerie92
12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I live in San Diego and I can't be more excited about the trade. Not because of who the Padres got, but because they got rid of Mat Latos. He is one of the most anti-fan players I have ever come across. I have seen it time and time again from him. I can only hope the trade helps him mature, there is a strong possibility he becomes a cancer in the Reds clubhouse.

gorilla777
12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
On the surface, the Reds really gave up quite a bit. The Padres had concerns about Latos and lack of maturity, but he has ace-like stuff so change of scenery might be good.
Alonso might really be the key and he was tearing it up the last part of the year, but Petco Park is a killer for most hitters. It seems like the Padres could be on the right path....

AWA85
12-18-2011, 02:36 PM
If the Reds go to the playoffs in 2012 and possibly 2013 it was a great deal for the Reds. Long term, it is a great deal for the Padres because they get an everyday 1B, a future starting catcher and a possible nice future bullpen arm.

Many of the Reds prospects do not have high as a high value to the Reds because Alonso is blocked by Votto, Grandal is blocked by Mez, a bullpen arm is a bullpen arm, and I hope nobody loses sleep over Volquez being gone. Have to give up quality to get quality, and the Reds made a move in a wide open division so I am pumped as a Reds fan.

On a side note, I can see Volquez having a bounce back year ala Aaron Harang and he is now a little farther from TJ surgery as well.

geoff
12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Reds gave up a little too much but the Reds needed and wanted a top starter so they had to pay the price.Latos is only 24 so he has plenty of years left.

LastingsMilledge85
12-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Very interested to see what becomes of Anthony Rizzo.

kudu
12-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Very interested to see what becomes of Anthony Rizzo.
Word has it he and Blanks may be the next to go. I'm glad Latos is gone and think we got a steal of a deal.

jbsportstuff
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
As a Reds fan, I think that the Reds literally gave up the farm. These trading chips should never have been packaged like this. We all realized that Alonso and Grandal were trading chips, but NEVER in the same package. If we end up getting a STRONG #1 then fine. Only time will tell...I'm not bettting on a strong return for my Reds. I HOPE I get to eat my words.

vdsporty25
12-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Looking at the landscape of the game today I absolutely love this deal for the Red Legs!! Giving up Grandal and Alonso in the same deal was painful however giving up Volquez was a blessing as most fans were growing tired of his inconsistent effort and work ethic. Boxberger was the wildcard in this deal. If he becomes a solid starter it hurts a little more than if he is a above average reliever which I think you can find elsewhere. What the Reds picked up was a potential ace type pitcher with 4 seasons of team control. His stuff is filthy and with the money being handed to guys like CJ Wilson on the FA market this is the only way for a team like the Reds to acquire big time arms while trying to make a run in the NL. If they can add another RH hitter to add in the middle of the lineup and a closer I believe they have a great chance to do some damage this year and beyond. GO REDS!!!!!!!!!