PDA

View Full Version : Ever lost your desire to collect?

Fnazxc0114
12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I think i have. I look at the normal auctions and i havent seen one thing in ages that interested me.

WadeInBmore
12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
While I have never lost my desire I can definately sympathize with you as I continue to wait for THOSE couple of items. Waiting takes it out of you. The search can be exciting BUT when it goes on and on and on with no end in sight...boy does it get old. AND when an item that does potentially satisfy a hole in the collection appears, I econe highly critical (a little over the top at times) and ofttimes shy away from the item because it isn't quite what I wanted.

I think it is entirely possible to burn out from a hobby (I think more so the more passionate you are about it). Everyone needs a break sometime.

Wade

Jags Fan Dan
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I think i have. I look at the normal auctions and i havent seen one thing in ages that interested me.
I can relate. I haven't found anything that really excites me in a long, long time. The well has run dry, it seems.

legaleagle92481
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I know what your saying. There used to be good stuff everywhere you turned now thats not the case. Ebay has mostly junk, much of which is either questionable and/or overpriced. Most of my best items came from there at fair prices a few years ago. The league auction sites everything goes for a fortune and it feels like just throwing money away because it is unlikely that someone will pay even close to what you paid if you ever decide to resell. Steiner rarely gets new stuff anymore besides the Yankees, JO is pretty much finished they have not added any new items in about a month and Meigray only has pretty much hockey and basketball which I don't really collect.

Gridiron Heroes
12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I sold all of my stuff when my wife passed at 35 yrs old. I just didn't care for it anymore. I sold my house w/ my sports room that I built as well, which I regret selling more than my collection. Fortunately, most of my important pieces were snapped up by my two partners and best friends.

I started collecting again about a year and a half ago and have been enjoying it alot. My focus in collecting has changed a bit, but it's been great.

I do have to agree w/ leagleeagle statements. There isn't much quality out there. And the places that did get what I collect are way overpriced IMO, or have dried out. I'm not going to pay $1750 for a backup tight end Bears jersey who will wind up with maybe, and I mean maybe 100 yards and 3 tds on the season.

Shawn Kennedy
www.gopherjerseys.com (http://www.gopherjerseys.com)
www.gridironheroes.net (http://www.gridironheroes.net)
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

both-teams-played-hard
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I have not lost my desire, at all. I think about and research jerseys all day and night. Many times, I dream about jerseys. I think it is painfully funny that folks on this forum 'dis eBay. Many, many game worn jerseys are not in the "game used" category and are not even listed as such.
If you could easily find gamers at junk stores, that would just take the fun out of it. Wouldn't it?

otismalibu
12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I have not lost my desire, at all. I think about and research jerseys all day and night. Many times, I dream about jerseys. I think it is painfully funny that folks on this forum 'dis eBay. Many, many game worn jerseys are not in the "game used" category and are not even listed as such.

But what percentage of the items you hunt down are for your own collection?

If you're an eBay 'picker' you'll undoubtedly have more success stories, because your search is not limited to a certain player or team. On the other hand, if you're trying to hunt down Leo Rautins game worn gear, it's going to be slow going. :)

EurekaDave
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I have not lost my desire to collect (as my wife will testify (and she might)). I have lost my interest in selling stuff I don't really need. Too many "Shoot me some pix. Can you do half? What are the measurements armpit-to-armpit?" No, no and no.

I've also lost my interest in buying stuff through this site. People post stuff for sale on the GUU, then sell to someone else by e-mail without checking the web-site.

Other than that, said Mrs. Lincoln after the play, everything is fine.

Dave Silverbrand
Always looking for sincerity

primeradriver
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree that the extended searching gets old. Many times when I find an item I like it is vastly overpriced. Fortunately, I found some key pieces as of late. I suppose the holidays takes it toll on everyone.

In regards to this site, I kinda wish there was a grace period for the $500 limit. I feel a lot of us easily fit in the $500+ range. There are ways around the BST as we all know but being able to post more expensive items freely in the Classifieds would be nice since there aren't many (quality) GU forums out there.

kprst6
12-20-2011, 02:14 PM
It's crazy that you started this thread because I was kind of thinking the same thing today.

Prices are starting to get out of hand and I don't collect Joe Commonplayer and kind of realized that if I get what I want, it will be around $4,000 - $10,000 per additional jersey that I want.

gadsden86
12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I have on a few occaions. I recently lost my desire for cards and thinking except for autos they dont get me excited anymore. I then started turning to full game used items and now i cant get enough.
If you lose desire you need to do 1 of 2 things. Find a project to keep your interest or change your focus.
If neither of thoes work then maybe its time to take a break from the hobby.

Preston
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
kinda like Gadsden, I have shifted focus from cards to full game worn items - and there's always a new "challenge" for me...as far as getting gloves and photos/helmets signed by teams that come in. I've gotten something from an NFL player 22 straight games...has to be a record :) It's ALWAYS fun to ask the player if I can have their gloves afterwards, and if they remember, or if I get someone's glove/s that I didn't expect. Fun challenge and keeps me on my toes.

Do I still collect cards? Yep, to some degree...I get cheap ones to get signed, collect certain players and UFC fighters, but for example - when I got Matt Schaub in person (FINALLY after chasing that fool for 6 years and he never touched a pen in Nashville, he signed my photo), I sold my certified autograph card - Contenders rookie - because I'd rather have the premium item than the certified card. Unless it's a player I specifically collect (i.e. Derrick Rose, Kenny Britt, etc etc), I'll likely flip the certified once I get an in person autograph - I did so w/ my Favre card once I bought the $44.44 special from his foundation web site. Amazingly someone paid more for the card than an 8x10 photo...more power to them!

As far as my game jerseys - my Memphis ones are HARD to come by and I don't pick up very many very often, so that part sucks. The Titans gamers I have a GOOD connection w/ the team so I'm very lucky in that regard, so it's a little more often than Memphis gamers that I pick something up...especially toward the beginning of the season.

There's my two dollars...err I mean cents.

kellsox
12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I have not lost my desire to collect (as my wife will testify (and she might)). I have lost my interest in selling stuff I don't really need. Too many "Shoot me some pix. Can you do half? What are the measurements armpit-to-armpit?" No, no and no.

I've also lost my interest in buying stuff through this site. People post stuff for sale on the GUU, then sell to someone else by e-mail without checking the web-site.

Other than that, said Mrs. Lincoln after the play, everything is fine.

Dave Silverbrand
Always looking for sincerity

Many people check their emails more frequently than this site- especially with email sent directly to smartphones. If I'm a seller and state in my listing to email if interested, then an email and prompt payment gets the item.

EurekaDave
12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Sorry, Kellsox, I'm an old guy. Don't even know what a Smartphone is.

Dave S.

frikativ54
12-20-2011, 03:33 PM
On several occasions, I've temporarily lost my interest in collecting. However, I've always regained it. What's made me lose interest is the sense that I get from some sellers that they are trying to rip me off because I'm both young and a woman. And I'm sure it's not only about gender, but part of a larger culture where people rip others off if they have less experience collecting, are new to the hobby, or are otherwise seen as easy to make a buck or two from. It's a shame, but these types are out there and must be avoided at all costs.

gingi79
12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I lose the desire often. At first, I wanted to collect everything. Then it was my teams, then specific players and now just 2 players. There are plenty of styles out there I'd be interested in obtaining but no one is selling them. Being a player collector, I also know market value for their stuff and don't suffer impatience when someone feels the need to try and exploit a hole.

Part of having a player collection like my Salo one, is having to admit I'm searching for specific jerseys. People get dollar signs when they think they can unload an otherwise common jersey for obscene prices. Common sense becomes anything but common. Two collectors won't even sell to me! I wouldn't overpay for a preseason jersey with a market value of $150 and he wanted $500. When I told him, with more tact than he deserved as he knew better, that other than my collection he couldn't unload it for anywhere near that price, he balked like I was insulting him. Now he won't even answer my emails. The other lost out on a jersey because the seller thought it would fit well with my collection. He would have paid more for it but the seller chose to sell to me. He's still holding a grudge 3 years later........

When petty, juvenile nonsense like that occurs, I lose interest in the hobby quickly. I'd love to get back in to loving the hobby again but nothing new seems to fit my collection. The more complete it gets, the less I am looking for and the less interested I am in the hobby.

ironmanfan
12-20-2011, 04:32 PM
never

jppopma
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't say that I have lost the desire, just that other things take priority over collecting from time to time. There is only so much money to budget and the family will win over the collection everyday.

Over the years I have refined my collecting interest. It used to be that I would buy jerseys based on a special patch, cool, different, or whatever caught my eye. Now I focus on my hometown players and teams, yet often find myself jumping at "good deals" too.

I second all that Gingi said about people exploiting player collectors. There are some that will go out of their way to help me land special jerseys, but others that triple the price as soon as they know that you are looking for that player. Sometimes I will admit being afraid to post questions out of fear that someone will upbid me or buy it and try to flip it right to me for a profit (yes, both have happened).

coxfan
12-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't lose the desire, but my interests evolve and change. When I first got into collecting baseball g-u stuff, I had no idea where to find it. So I was fooled by a replica WS ball at a store that the seller assured me had been at the World Series. I nearly bought a cracked bat that a different seller assured me had been used by A-Rod. But by then I'd learned enough to become skeptical, and some research saved me ( I think he signed the bat but didn't use it.) I think both those sellers were honest, but had been misinformed themselves ( a common problem with a lot of stores).

Then I got into g-u cards, because they were available and I trusted that the companies wouldn't risk their reputations on shaky items. But I was dismayed to read that they sometimes bought from secondary sources, and recent events have highlighted those risks.

Then I found the Rangers' great g-u selection when my daughter moved to DFW. So I lost interest in cards. Now I've bought postseason items from them, so I'm losing interest in regular-season items.And so on it goes.

Larry Pelliccioni
12-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I think, like many, the hobby has had it's ebbs and flows. I started collecting in 1974 and to this day am very active in the area of game worn jerseys and helmets.
For me, the joy has recently been about helping others with their collecting interests. I am by no means an expert but I do try to reflect the more positive side to this hobby. Am I perfect? No way, but along the way, I have provided many with items that they truly treasure and feel that as my life has progressed that this role both suit me and energizes me.
I cannot tell you how blessed I have been to own uniforms of my favorite players and items that are more worthy of a museum than a basement.
My search has led and taken me to places I would have otherwise never been and to owning some of the best game and movie worn pieces in this great hobby.
I am also deeply grateful to Chris Cavalier and his work on developing this Forum as a place where we can exchange ideas and collectibles and his work on behalf of the 8D and other charities.
We should never lose sight of what we have been given custody of and guard it until the next generation grows into wanting to acquire and perpetuate it.
Larry Pelliccioni

earlywynnfan
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I have lost interest at times, but mostly because I've peaked out in my collecting areas. For example, I collect single-signed Negro Lg baseballs. Well, after accumulating over 400, it's pretty rough finding new ones. The thrill of the hunt is fun, but after a while it feels futile, and I almost stop looking.

I've run into the feeling recently of "If I want/need it, I can't afford it. If I can afford it, I already have it."

That being said, I love Christmas time, because everyone has an auction and most people are short on money, so I get some deals.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com