PDA

View Full Version : MLB put an hologram number in the database for me

jake33
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I am actually pretty suprised on the turnaround form mlb and authenticators inc. I had a Rays game used hat witha BB hologram sticker that never got put in the MLB database. from 4 years ago.

I emailed --> authentication@website.mlb.com

with the required image as a jpeg of the hologram number and less than 3 days later they updated the site, and sent me a notification to let me know. That is the 1st time I ever had success getting a hologram updated. HAs anyone had good or bad stories doing this through mlb?

coxfan
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
About a year ago, my e-mail to them resulted in a 2010 game-used ball being entered within a week, after there had been a 3-month delay before my e-mail. Their reply to me said the "session has now been reviewed" and then entered, suggesting there was an extra layer of "review" that seemed unnecessary, and may be involved in delays.

However, someone else here got a "mailbox full" response from his e-mail a few months ago; so apparently service varies. In a thread I started this August I noted that authentication holo's for game-used items this year seemed faster, even next day. Several replied to say they had also noted faster postings for 2011 items.

Mets05
12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
I am actually pretty suprised on the turnaround form mlb and authenticators inc. I had a Rays game used hat witha BB hologram sticker that never got put in the MLB database. from 4 years ago.

I emailed --> authentication@website.mlb.com

with the required image as a jpeg of the hologram number and less than 3 days later they updated the site, and sent me a notification to let me know. That is the 1st time I ever had success getting a hologram updated. HAs anyone had good or bad stories doing this through mlb?

Thanks for posting this...I have a game used item from the Tigers and Marc has been zero help, even though I purchased it directly from Marc...Hopefully, MLB will be able to help me out.

Klattsy
12-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Sweet Jake, i'm going to check this when I get home. My Justin Huber Futures Game helmet has a sticker but no entry. I tried their Twitter feed but got no response, will try the email and hope! Although over Xmas probably isn't the best time...

Rickphils1
12-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Pretty pathetic that MLB can authentic stuff based on a photo and a hologram well after the fact when they are supposed to get it right at the time they put the hologram on. In my post I complained about their lack of competence that includes mislabeling the player (when name is sewn on the jersey) or autographed ball that is clearly not the player they say it is. If blood banks worked like their system, there would be a lot more transfusion reactions because of the wrong numbers or wrong description assigned.

jake33
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Also, i do not know why, but it has to be "BB" authentication numbers.

I have a game used base from 04 with a "MT" authentication and mlb wouldn't touch it even with auction recepits.

dplettn
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
It has been my experience that the MLB Authentication Program is second to none with regard to standards. The MLB Authentication Program prioritizes the certainty of accurate authentications above all else.

So long as humans are executing processes, there will be times where processes are subject to human error, of course. Obviously, things like spelling are easy to fix post facto and MLB does fix anything that can be fixed when you contact them. Some effects of human processes are more profound than others, and I’m certainly not dismissing the observations previously mentioned on this thread.

The MLB Authentication program is already the standard for leagues in any sport. When the NFL turns the page on its member clubs decisions to sign contracts with JO Sports, you can expect the NFL will look at the MLB Authentication Program as the gold standard.

I expect the MLB Program will continue to be the gold standard in perpetuity. Why? MLB is not resting on its laurels. Is it smart for MLB clubs to have personnel working in proximity to independent authenticators? Absolutely! Not only can club personnel help to prevent human process errors in batch type authentications such as what was discussed on this thread, the same club personnel can also help the authenticator to recognize opportunities for relevant authentications. So guess what… with increasing club commitments to the program, that appears to be happening; other things too.

Is it smart to fix process errors, even so small as a misspelling? Yes. And guess what… they do! It boils down to an appreciation of database integrity. And, it is my understanding we’ll observe even fewer misspelled names based on additional process controls.

As far as the MLB Authentication Program’s responsiveness, I’ve been extremely impressed with the program’s standards, even when I’ve found what can’t be authenticated or can’t be authenticated for greater relevance. The important takeaway was why…. the standard of absolutely certainty.

Based on the law of large numbers, there will be people who need to address process errors regarding their items. I would encourage those fellow collectors who need to contact MLB to fix process errors (authentication series not in the database, etc) to be mindful in how to best do so. The timing of the MLB Authentication Program’s responsiveness is going to be least advantageous if you contact them during peak periods (ie: All Star Game, Post Season, etc). But know this… as justifiable it may be for MLB authentications could have an arrogant culture, it doesn’t. Whether you’ll “like” a particular response to your query or not, anticipate receiving a response that is well grounded in ideal ideals.

jppopma
05-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I tried to send two emails to MLB on a couple of holograms that never were entered into the system. Both emails came back with mailer demons saying that the mailbox was full. Sounds like this is a common issue with them...makes me wonder if they ever clear it out?

Rays&Mariners
05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
One of my first GU items was a base from the 2008 ALCS between Tampa and the Red Sox. On the mlb auth site it just showed that the base was "3RD BASE,TAKEN OUT AFTER 9TH INNING"

I didn't know if that meant it was there the whole game or just the 9th inning or what it was so I emailed mlb and also got the mailbox full mailer demon. After a couple of tries it went through and a couple of weeks later I tried again and got a response...

"We apologize for the delayed response. We are have contacted the Authenticator who worked this game and are just awaiting his answer. As soon as we hear back we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

Authenticators, Inc."

I never did hear back from them but when I checked the database a month or so later it had been changed to show that the base was "3RD BASE, 3RD - 9TH INNING"

So, in my case it took awhile and communication was bad but it was fixed.

Eric

joelsabi
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
One of my first GU items was a base from the 2008 ALCS between Tampa and the Red Sox. On the mlb auth site it just showed that the base was "3RD BASE,TAKEN OUT AFTER 9TH INNING"

I didn't know if that meant it was there the whole game or just the 9th inning or what it was so I emailed mlb and also got the mailbox full mailer demon. After a couple of tries it went through and a couple of weeks later I tried again and got a response...

"We apologize for the delayed response. We are have contacted the Authenticator who worked this game and are just awaiting his answer. As soon as we hear back we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

Authenticators, Inc."

I never did hear back from them but when I checked the database a month or so later it had been changed to show that the base was "3RD BASE, 3RD - 9TH INNING"

Eric

look at the description of the other bases from the game. look up preceding numbers relative to your hologram numbers to locate them

joelsabi
05-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Eric

Just remember that sometimes bases are removed for milestones (stolen base milestones) and because of demand (all star games, playoff game bases, milestone chases).

In your case you could discovered the answered to your question by looking at the other bases on mlb database for that game.

at least the change in the description makes the change in bases during the game implicit.

joelsabi
05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Just remember that sometimes bases are removed for milestones (stolen base milestones) and because of demand (all star games, playoff game bases, milestone chases).

In your case you could discovered the answered to your question by looking at the other bases on mlb database for that game.

at least the change in the description makes the change in bases during the game implicit.

correction. explicit.

Tedw9
05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
look at the description of the other bases from the game. look up preceding numbers relative to your hologram numbers to locate them

So if I see hologram numbers showing bases from the first inning, then the next numbers show the second inning, and the following numbers show the 9th inning, do I assume that the bases were used from the 2nd through the 8th?

I thought I had read somewhere that they use 3 sets of bases per regular season game.

joelsabi
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
So if I see hologram numbers showing bases from the first inning, then the next numbers show the second inning, and the following numbers show the 9th inning, do I assume that the bases were used from the 2nd through the 8th?

I thought I had read somewhere that they use 3 sets of bases per regular season game.

probably would say removed after the third inning, sixth inning and ninth inning.

LH428091 1 to 3
LH428094 4 to 6
LH428104 7 to 9

I think you are right. I googled and it said 9 bases per game although I don't see the point in changing the bases so often unless you are selling them off for each game like the Yankees do.

Thanks for bringing that up.

coxfan
05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I've observed that bases are typically changed after every three innings. This is true in the college game as well as MLB. But for specially-designated games they may do it as often as every inning. That's based not only on demand, but also keeping in mind that some may be given to VIP's, players, etc. from special games.

Only recently are you likely to see the innings designated. The base I own, from 2004 Yankees at Rangers, gives only the game date.

tbone90
05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I had gotten a couple of bases from the inaugural season of the new Busch Stadium in 2006. When I checked the MLB holo's one of the bases was in the database but the other was not. I admittedly dropped the ball on this at the time and recently (about six months ago) sent an email to MLB asking if the base could be entered. I received a reply email asking for some information which I sent along with some detailed pictures. About four weeks later the base was entered in the database with the correct information. I was very impressed and pleased. The 2006 bases had the nice inaugural season logo on top of the bags and this particular base was from Father's Day and had the blue jewels on two sides. Written on the back of the base in black marker by the grounds crew was "1st base 3rd inning 6-18-06".

joelsabi
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
anyone know when the 9 bases per game was instituted as a policy by MLB. Anyone know a groundkeeper who could answer this question. or maybe its in the rulebook somewhere. thanks in advance.