PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate Fed Ex...

xpress34
12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Let me preface this by saying this is not an indictment of 8D Auctions or anyone affiliated with the currently ended Auction.

So, I've been following my Tracking number on Fed Ex since receiving it (Thanks Chris and everyone at 8D/GUU for the Tracking Link) following it's journey to my house.

Yesterday showed it in the Henderson, CO location (about 15 miles from my house) and expected delivery today (12/24/11). It also shows it is SIGNATURE REQUIRED which I'm fine with. I have to work today, but my wife and son are home, so someone will be there to sign for it.

I check my eMail about an hour ago and I have a new message from FedEx - package was delivered at 8:13am today and signed for by PERINO.

Perino? Who the ^%$# is that? So I'm kind of freaking out thinking they took my stuff to the wrong house... I call home and wake up my wife and kid and have them check the porch... Thank god the package was there, but the FedEx guy didn't even ring the doorbell. (If he had, my dog would have been going crazy and would have woken up my wife and kid). He just dropped the package, signed a name and left.

So I called Fed Ex and filed a complaint. What if someone took my package? They show they have a signature - would I have any recourse?

Just putting it out there so you guys can all be on the look-out for your Fed-Ex packages.

It's things like this that have made me quit using FedEx and UPS.

Sorry for the rant, but I would hate to see it happen to someone else here and then they end up not getting their package!

Can't wait to get home and open it! It's like an early Christmas present to myself!

- Smitty

WadeInBmore
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM
It is startling that this stuff happens, but even after the two videos of poor delivery guys showing up on news stations and youtube. Fedex and UPS are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

The Fedex video showed a driver not ringing the doorbell(gate) and throwing a flat screen tv over the fence <g>

The UPS video showed the driver flipping off a security camera and tossing the package onto the steps.

WOW. Glad the package was there Smitty.

wade

xpress34
12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Wade -

I saw the 'flat screen over the fence' video. Didn't hear about the flipping off the security camera one!

But other horror stories here (empty bat boxes, etc) had me keeping an eye 'on the prize' as it were. That's why when I saw the 'signed for by' name I called the house immediately.

Did you win anything from the auction?

Hope all is well for you and yours and best wishes for a Joyous Holiday Season!

All the best -

Smitty

jppopma
12-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Your wife and kids are lucky to get their sleep. Thank goodness UPS and Fedex deliver to my house in the late afternoon...my dogs can hear those trucks a couple blocks away and just wait to go nuts if he stops (anywhere near our house).

Glad the package arrived ok, but it is scary that the drivers will do this kind of stuff. Once their integrity is lost on this level, would anyone really want to trust them with anything at all?

lakeerie92
12-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I got a package from UPS earlier this month that had someone else's package in it. It appears that at the last major hub before delivery it was opened and somehow someone else's package was put inside and then mine was taped back shut again. When it arrived I found the other package inside and notified UPS they scheduled to pick it up and told me to leave it outside of my front door. I left it outside and it stayed there for a week and a half until the next delivery.

yanks12025
12-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I know your upset they left it there, but guessing he maybe didn't want to wake people up being Saturday. Then signed for it cause it's close to Christmas.

sox83cubs84
12-25-2011, 02:40 PM
It's gotten better over the last couple of years, but the problem with both FedEx and UPS by me was half-assed "attempts" by the drivers to let me know they were there with a delivery. With many drivers there was no ringing the bell nor any knocking on the door...they'd just run in, slap the "we missed you sticker" on the door and run out again.

Dave Miedema

earlywynnfan
12-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I used to dislike FedEx the most of all the carriers. They would come at noon, when I'm working, and if my wife didn't happen to be home, so be it. Then they'd leave that sticker on my door, and I'd find the backing laying on my porch!

But in the last year or so, I've had a new guy, and he's great. If he misses me the first time, he calls me when he's done with his route, and if I'm home then he'll swing by. Really went from crummy service to exceptional.

I'm actually lucky, the UPS guy, the USPS guy, and the FedEx guy are all fantastic.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Hitman Hart
12-25-2011, 06:45 PM
At least the driver delivered the package to the right house, Smitty. A Fed Ex driver either stole or misdelivered a jersey if mine back in August and lied about it, changing his story ten times. I'm lucky the jersey was insured, but somewhere out there my Corey Hart Bierbrauer jersey is in incorrect and unscrupulous hands.

jppopma
12-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with Ken. Not all driver are bad and I actually have a good driver who will "backtrack" to make sure that he gets most of the items delivered too. Kudos to them and it's a shame that they have poor coworkers that make them look bad (I guess the same can be said for any profession).

stlbats
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
If I have a package coming UPS or Priority Mail, I will usually call the terminal or Post Office and have them hold the package there. Then I go and pick it up. UPS here is open very late. This keeps some of the delivery guys from at least leaving it in the rain or just on the porch when no one is here.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

Ozric
12-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Two true stories about Fed Ex. They have always delivered to my house between 12:00 and 1:00 during the work week. I called them over a dozen times and they refused to deliver at a different time nor leave the package without a signature. The told me specifically on several occasions "We do not care if the package is delivered. The delivery attempt is our only responsibility". That is a direct quote that I was told a number of times when I called to complain about their delivery time. Also, I sold an item on Ebay a few months ago and the buyer gave me his Fed Ex account number to have charged for the delivery. I received a bill from Fed Ex a few weeks after the sale advising that the account was bad and that I had to pay for the shipping cost. I called to complain and they advised that they do not check the account until after it hits their billing department and that the shipper is always responsible for the charges no matter what. The customer service department has always been zero help. it is ridiculous to think that I can make up a fake account number, have them pick the item up from the seller, and than charge the seller simply because their billing department does not verify the account information before the pickup... I even posed that exact question to them and they could not refute it.

GameWornJCollector
12-28-2011, 03:15 AM
@Ozric: The shipper is always responsible for the shipping costs. (That's law)
I wouldn't accept the shipping terms of the consignee because it sounds strange for me with his "fedex charge me later account"..

Be always careful with people that you don't know in person..;)

GameWornJCollector
12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
sorry for the double post...
@Ozric: the customer service of fedex can't change the drivers route. that can only be done by the expeditor ( dispatcher ). Don't think that he/she will do that because that costs time and money. I'm in the logistics business and I know what I'm talking about...:D

otismalibu
12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah, there's nothing worse in the hobby than receiving a package on the day it was supposed to be delivered. Well, maybe selling an item and then having to pay to ship it to the buyer.

cohibasmoker
12-28-2011, 09:01 AM
At Christmas, I always tip our 3 mail providers to a tune of $25.00 each. What do I get in return? Packages handled properly, when I'm not home, packages are placed on my back deck away from the public eye and if its raining, the package is either placed in a plastic bag or placed out of the weather.

I spoken to my FedEx driver and he told me that he doesn't even work for FedEx. Yes, they wear FedEx uniforms and use FedEx trucks and equipment but he works for a guy who bought a franchise from FedEx, ala McDonald's, Starbucks etc.

Now when I take a package to the local FedEx office, the office and employees are FedEx employees. What I like about taking the package directly to the local FedEx office is, when you ship a package over $1000.00, the clerks at FedEx have to check the contents. If its lost, stolen or damaged, what's better than having a couple of FedEx employees as witnesses?

Jim

gadsden86
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I just want to say for the record this isnt all fedex drivers and emplyees.
My father worked for them for 31 years and never an issue. Yes thier are always a few bad ones who ruin it for all this happens in any profession. The driver who doesnt work for fedex is fedex ground and Home delivery (one with the dog). They are contracted out by someone who owns the rout and they go from their.
Sorry just had to get that out thier.

xpress34
12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I just want to say for the record this isnt all fedex drivers and emplyees.
My father worked for them for 31 years and never an issue. Yes thier are always a few bad ones who ruin it for all this happens in any profession. The driver who doesnt work for fedex is fedex ground and Home delivery (one with the dog). They are contracted out by someone who owns the rout and they go from their.
Sorry just had to get that out thier.

Fair enough. As the OP of this thread, I completely understand this statement and where you are coming from.

Just wanted to state that as far as my house - where I have been for 5 + years - as well as former apartments here in Denver, I have always had the same service issues with Fed Ex or UPS. Maybe it's just an issue with the Denver offices....

gadsden86
12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Fair enough. As the OP of this thread, I completely understand this statement and where you are coming from.

Just wanted to state that as far as my house - where I have been for 5 + years - as well as former apartments here in Denver, I have always had the same service issues with Fed Ex or UPS. Maybe it's just an issue with the Denver offices....

Maybe and that just stinks. I have issues with my UPS guy who almost never leaves boxes in front of my door. Have had them just inside the appartment doorway in the middle of the stairs. I'd be ticked if something happened. With someone not in your house signing i'd be worried but all seemed to workout so that was good.

NFLELCollector
12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
FED EX and UPS
ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST WAY TO SEND ANYTHING OF VALUE!
I worked for UPS for 2 years (I was a Package Investigator), I found Lost Packages, and I was Very Good at it!
and i worked in the FED EX Hubs/Terminals on 2 Different Occasions.

Both Companies Deal in Such a shear Volume of Packages on a Daily Basis, There is No Way they can get it right 100%, So if they Loose, Destroy, Steal or Misdeliver 1-2% per Day That is an Acceptable Loss to them, They will just pay out the claim and go on Business as Usual.
So if they Deliver say 20 Million Packages per Day and Have to Pay Claims on 200,000 Lost Packages per Day, The $$$$ They Made by Delivering the 19.8 Million correctly Far Outweighs the Loss, SO THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU (THE SHIPPER/RECEIVER) OR YOUR PACKAGE!
THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT NET PROFIT, AND THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!

xpress34
01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Sure I have, but first I try and gauge how big a deal it really is. I've had more than one item left at my front steps that said it needed a signature, but one was never requested. Delivery Confirmation tags that never get scanned. Guy charges $5 shipping but only pays $1.50. Annoying? Sure. Am I going to start a thread about it? Don't think so.

I hate to think how little it takes for you guys to leave a negative on eBay.

I'd save my big complaints for the MLB teams. So I could get comped some tix, then immediately try to flip them :D

Greg -

Since the other thread was closed, I will quote your last post from there here and my rebuttal as I hope you will understand why I opened THIS thread:

1st, it is a big deal. It was my stuff from 8D Auctions that cost me REAL hard earned cash. If Fed Ex or UPS says signature required, then a signature should be REQUIRED. If the package had been stolen, who would I have recourse with? The driver made up a signature for it. The fact that it doesn't bother you doesn't make it any less a big deal to others.

I made the post so that Chris and the 8D guys would know that THEY weren't getting the service they paid for either and so that other bidders made sure they received their items as well - it wasn't some self-serving thread.

2nd, as long as I have been on eBay, it takes a whole lot to get me to write a negative feedback there so maybe you need to trim back your broad stroke statement of 'you guys', because you know nothing about me and my eBay habits. You can look me up - lumber_jack_bat_co - if you'd like to know what you're talking about. 0 negs in the last 12 months and I can tell you in almost 11 years there that I might have left 2 or 3 negatives.

While talking about eBay, I will says there are times when I do not leave feedback. When a seller writes me and tells me they will leave feedback AFTER I leave them feedback, none gets left. As the buyer, I have completed my end of the deal once payment is made - that is what their feedback should be based on.

3rd, I really hope that last comment (about MLB and flipping tickets) was an attempt at sarcastic humor.

And finally - and sarcastically - complaints about people complaining really just waters down the legitimate concerns/complaints in the hobby.

- Smitty

otismalibu
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
It just struck me as odd that you were complaining, when you actually got the item. I'd prefer to have the package left and not have the doorbell ring, on a weekend morning. I realize it wasn't done by the book, but that seems to happen occasionally with FedEx, UPS & USPS. Maybe more than occasionally.

If it was a heads up to Chris - fair enough.

As far as the original post regarding $5 and JO...

If someone comes to this site and searches JO, there are quite a few other threads that would be more enlightening than that one, IMO.

There was someone on this board (I thought it was you) that complained about not getting certain MLB tix, then when they got them, they started talking about selling them.

Gocong57
01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
If I have a package coming UPS or Priority Mail, I will usually call the terminal or Post Office and have them hold the package there. Then I go and pick it up. UPS here is open very late. This keeps some of the delivery guys from at least leaving it in the rain or just on the porch when no one is here.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

for FedEx, as you track delivery, before package arrives in your area call them to hold it at a convenient local FedEx location for you. They will hold the package in a secure bin there.

xpress34
01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
It just struck me as odd that you were complaining, when you actually got the item. I'd prefer to have the package left and not have the doorbell ring, on a weekend morning. I realize it wasn't done by the book, but that seems to happen occasionally with FedEx, UPS & USPS. Maybe more than occasionally.

If it was a heads up to Chris - fair enough.

As far as the original post regarding $5 and JO...

If someone comes to this site and searches JO, there are quite a few other threads that would be more enlightening than that one, IMO.

There was someone on this board (I thought it was you) that complained about not getting certain MLB tix, then when they got them, they started talking about selling them.

Greg -

I agree about the $5 - I would have written the seller and asked. I also thought it was interesting that the complaint was about $5 in light of all that has gone on with JO and the others these past few months.

If you read the original post, I made a statement there about others watching for their packages to make sure nothing went awry - especially after the stories here about guys getting empty bat boxes from FedEx and UPS.

As far as the tickets, I did make a post last year about the Rockies not being able to give me a straight answer about how to acquire my ADA seats (I'm a disabled vet) for Opening Day. One guy did finally come through for me and when I saw where the seats were at, I asked the question of the board about selling them and got lambasted for it. (BTW I did NOT sell the tickets). Half the board was for selling half was against it. If I had had a financial crisis before Opening Day, I would have sold them for sure - as much as I love the game, my family comes first.

So, all that said and done - are we good?

- Smitty

xpress34
01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Greg -

I did forget to mention one thing regarding your original comment about the tickets - they weren't comped - I paid full price for the seats. Just wanted to make sure that was clear!

- Smitty

short84
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Yes, and I apologized to everyone here and at JO. I am truly sorry for complaining about $5. I was out of line.

dcgreg25
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Ok this has to stop. As a collector I am tired of sifting through threads like this that start out questionably and end up being sites for disputes being carried over from other threads. I closed the other thread for a reason- the comments were off topic, childish and personal attacks. STOP IT. These posts are embarassing to the people making the posts and the other members of this forum. They only serve to dillute the value the forum has to collectors and make the members look bad to others in the hobby.

I have said it a dozen times but I will say it again- If you do not have something that could be perceived as useful for other collectors to say, do not post. If this happens again, I will delete the thread and take further action.

Short84, thank you for your post here and in the other forum. You made a mistake and were grown-up enough to admit it. Thanks.