PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board regarding values of Jerseys and JO

masp3392
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
do you think the prices on JO's site deliver an accurate representation of jerseys and their respective values given the player?

and not just jerseys, helmets, shoes, etc ...

want some opinions on this matter if you would be so kind

jppopma
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I think JO holds the market for the teams they offer and take advantage of that in their pricing. Personally I feel alot of their items are overpriced and you will never be able to recoup your money if you sell the jersey again. Then again, some people are willing to pay for that "piece of mind".

Titans74
01-04-2012, 04:47 AM
I am a fan of JO and their unwashed game used. That said, they are extremely over priced.

legaleagle92481
01-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Those are their asking prices noone pays those except on the hottest players. Their actual prices are very fair. NFL Auctions and Packers website jerseys to me are way more overpriced. The Packers want almost $2k for a kicker's jersey. A kicker!

mad87man
01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Those are their asking prices noone pays those except on the hottest players. Their actual prices are very fair. NFL Auctions and Packers website jerseys to me are way more overpriced. The Packers want almost $2k for a kicker's jersey. A kicker!
The Packers did sell a Rodgers for 7500 though where JO was selling it upwards of 1200 i believe. It all depends on the player. I think JO is overpriced but they do control the market so there is not much people can do. Then again who knows how much they get the stuff for though.

mickeymbz
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
overprice is subjective...if you want the REAL thing... it costs money. If your looking for a bargin.. then eBay is a great choice but chances are your buying an overpriced un-used piece of cloth

mad87man
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
overprice is subjective...if you want the REAL thing... it costs money. If your looking for a bargin.. then eBay is a great choice but chances are your buying an overpriced un-used piece of cloth
I can say i have seen plenty of JO's jerseys on ebay from third parties and they don't sell for half of what they paid from JO.

legaleagle92481
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
It all depends on what you buy. Stars hold their value as they stay in the news in people's minds and alot of people collect them. Guys who are average players or below don't hold their value no matter where you obtain them because less people collect them.

legaleagle92481
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
By stars I mean the skill position and top defensive guys. Even Pro Bowl level guys at less newsworthy positions don't hold their value well like offensive lineman and non-stats based defensive position like nose tackles, etc.

legaleagle92481
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Also for many players the market is saturated which again drives the demand and the price down. Nick Mangold, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Jared Allen, Kevin Williams, Clinton Portis and Jake Long are great examples of awesome players of whom there are a slew of jerseys on the market.

Mulligans
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I can say i have seen plenty of JO's jerseys on ebay from third parties and they don't sell for half of what they paid from JO.

How does someone know what someone else paid? I have bought JO Jerseys for way better than 1/2 price and occassionally will resell them.

Many guys buy JO discounted and then resell on ebay and can still make $.....Especially the big name players.

perlman9
01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
I agree that JO many times will work on pricing. And I am not sure what they pay each team for the jerseys to have to make up the specific price as well. I know I just got a Peko Bengals off NFL auctions for nearly half of what JO was willing to sell to me (and 1/4 of their asking price). Even when I said NFL just sold for a certain price,they wouldn't budge. Now, they may have more tied up into the jersey as NFL does not pay for a thing so can take best price where JO is a business and has overhead as well as jersey price from the team. There are a few I really want and hope to get at market value and if you are patient the lesser players will usually get there whether through an auction or their big sales. But each year more and more jerseys come out of those star players from JO teams so value will naturally go down and will just repeat what many say: if you are wanting it for the collection and are willing to pay than the price is fair: if you are like me and also think of resale value just in case of hardship or to move later for other items, then probably not always the best place to shop.

David
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
For companies like Steiner, the teams may have great influence over sell price. Steiner may not have the pricing control that buyers imagine.

G1X
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM

With all due respect, this is simply not true. There are a lot of collectors out there who have spent a lot of time and hard work studying the items they collect and learning as much as they can about game-used jerseys. With this knowledge and their experiences in the hobby, they are able to discern whether a jersey is the REAL thing without having to worry whether the item has been washed, comes with a team/league COA and/or hologram, is entered into an "official" data base, or is 100% photo-matched. With their knowledge and experience, they are able to find bargains on ebay and elsewhere; often on items that have been overlooked or passed over by other collectors due to lack of knowledge on the particular item and/or lack of documentation. Their gain, your loss.

Not meaning to pick on mickeymbz or any other collector as everyone has to reach their own comfort level in what they collect and how much money they spend, but I personally find it a bit disconcerting when I keep reading posts throughout this Forum where a number of collectors are willing to spend a lot of money (i.e., overpay) for the peace-of-mind of having the bells and whistles (COA, hologram, unwashed jersey, etc.). Making matters worse is that some of these collectors appear to have little or no expertise in the items they collect, and don't seem to be very attuned or interested in learning.

Again, each to their own, but for those of you who are more than just an occasional buyer and consider yourself to be an actual "collector", then you better be able to know the REAL thing or else you are setting yourself up for failure and/or will miss out on a lot of great items and bargains that are not "officially" documented. (And forget about collecting anything older than a few years as you will be completely out of luck.)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

solarlottry
01-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Mark and Micky I agree with you both. Some high end items are quite expensive and many of these high end items have the "bells and whistles" that many collectors seem to connect with added value or piece of mind.

On the other hand I have purchased a number of authentic game used shirts on eBay, for a bargain, because of the research I put into the item.

Recently I purchased a photo matched Bears Jim Harbaugh home gamer off of eBay for under 300$ that did not have any "paperwork" but is perfectly aucthentic and is photo matched!

A few years ago I was able to purchase a Rod Woodson Raiders gamer off of eBay as well, which didn't have any paperwork but I was also able to photo match. I eventually presented the jersey to Woodson and he confirmed that he did indeed wear it.

I think collecting is what you make it. If a collector is willing to put the time and effort into research, watching old games on dvd and checking Getty over and over, then they can be rewarded from time to time.

There are other times when high end items, such as 2 of my 3 Deion 49er games, cost big bucks. To me these 2 shirts were worth it because of the "bells and whistles" which included a team letter and the "Bronco tape".

If an item is matched up, shows appropriate use and is something you want to complete an aspect of your collection, then the fact thatmitncame from JO should not matter- as long as you feel comfortable that it is real!

Always buying 49er gamers and paying a finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

TriplexXxSports
01-06-2012, 10:59 PM
With all due respect, this is simply not true. There are a lot of collectors out there who have spent a lot of time and hard work studying the items they collect and learning as much as they can about game-used jerseys. With this knowledge and their experiences in the hobby, they are able to discern whether a jersey is the REAL thing without having to worry whether the item has been washed, comes with a team/league COA and/or hologram, is entered into an "official" data base, or is 100% photo-matched. With their knowledge and experience, they are able to find bargains on ebay and elsewhere; often on items that have been overlooked or passed over by other collectors due to lack of knowledge on the particular item and/or lack of documentation. Their gain, your loss.

Not meaning to pick on mickeymbz or any other collector as everyone has to reach their own comfort level in what they collect and how much money they spend, but I personally find it a bit disconcerting when I keep reading posts throughout this Forum where a number of collectors are willing to spend a lot of money (i.e., overpay) for the peace-of-mind of having the bells and whistles (COA, hologram, unwashed jersey, etc.). Making matters worse is that some of these collectors appear to have little or no expertise in the items they collect, and don't seem to be very attuned or interested in learning.

Again, each to their own, but for those of you who are more than just an occasional buyer and consider yourself to be an actual "collector", then you better be able to know the REAL thing or else you are setting yourself up for failure and/or will miss out on a lot of great items and bargains that are not "officially" documented. (And forget about collecting anything older than a few years as you will be completely out of luck.)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Couldn't have said it any better myself...