PDA

View Full Version : ebay 1972 Tito Fuentes S.F. Giants jersey

lon lewis
01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I have been contacted by a number of individuals regarding ebay item # 190623625793 which is listed as a 1972 Tito Fuentes S.F. Giants home jersey. The jersey ( knit version) is listed as "all original" and "no alterations" however, the front lettering has been replaced along with the back numbers ( both incorrectly ) the sleeve and neck trim also has been replaced with the wrong material. The year tag is totally bogus.The only thing that may be original is the jersey body and the mfr tag.

EurekaDave
01-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Wow!!! Thanks so much for your input on this. You just saved me a few hundred dollars as I was one of the early bidders on this. I owe you one.

Dave Silverbrand

sportsinvestments
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
lon-

Nobody has contacted us about issues with this particular jersey, on or off of Ebay. If there are issues please contact us at adam@sportsinvestments.com to discuss or we can discuss here on the forum. I have looked at a few other examples of Giants jerseys from 1972 and that particular era. We do not see any inconsistency in the piping, letters & numbers, they most certainly have not been replaced. They(numbers & letters) are all made of the same material & match-up with everything else we have seen. As for the 72 year patch, this was a transitional year from Flannel to Knit & in fact many of the other jerseys that have been sold through various "reputable" sources are all over the place as far as Manuf. labels & tagging, however you do see most year plates with black stitch. The only consistent jersey attribute to this time period for the Giants seems to be with the stitched nameplates, which is missing here(noted).

Respectfully,
Adam Wolter

lon lewis
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Adam, Let's compare your jersey to an actual '72 knit. First the year tags- yours is on the top and the actual Wilson tagging is on the bottom. what you have is a failed attempt to copy the year tag of the early season Wilson flannel jerseys that carried only the 2 digit year designation. Now the front lettering- yours is the top photo and the actual lettering is the last 2 photos. what you have appears to be a less than accurate copy of the McAuliffe style lettering. due to space limitations, I'll deal with the other issues in the next thread.

sox83cubs84
01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't recall the Giants EVER using red embroidery on a Wilson year tag. Plus, that tag looks almost brand new while the Wilson tag is heavily worn.

Dave Miedema

lon lewis
01-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Now the numbers- your jersey is the top photo the actual 1972 Wilson home and road numbers are on the bottom. What you have appears to be a poor attempt to copy the McAuliffe version of the numbers and not taking into account that the "2's" are plain block. ( no feet or serifs) Full block "2's" wouldn't show up until 1977.
lastly the trim- your jersey on the left, the actual trim is on the right. If that's not clear enough for you to determine there is a difference, the last scan is of the actual materials side by side. Your jersey trim material is on the left and the actual trim material is on the right. So after all of that do you still really think that your jersey is "all original" and "unaltered" ?

EurekaDave
01-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Jersey has been removed from eBay.
Dave Silvebrand

sportsinvestments
01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
lon-
I appreciate all of your comments, we agree with your assessment of the jersey & have withdrawn it from auction. Thanks for your help.
Adam