PDA

View Full Version : Books of interest to collectors

mjkm90
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Many baseball collectors I know have an interest in anything old and antiques in general. I for one love to learn about other areas of collecting and enjoy hearing about finds, what motivates collectors, and what got them started. Antiques road show is always a pleasure to view, but what about books. We are all familiar with Basebal Smithsonian, Baseball Treasures, Cooper's book on Baseball Games, etc. but are there other books you recommend. I just finished Barbara Orbach's A Passion for Antiques and loved it. It talks about collectors and collecting. While there is no mention of baseball the short chapters are very interesting and difficult to put down. Another book I enjoyed was Hidden Treasures by Leigh and Leslie Keno. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy these, but do rent them from your library. Here are a few I plan to check out soon:

A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
by John Baxter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=John%20Baxter&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-6740785-9144057)

How to Think Like a Collector
by Harry Rinker (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Harry%20Rinker&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-6740785-9144057)

Sixteen to Sixty: Memoirs of a Collector
by Louisine W. Havemeyer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Louisine%20W.%20Havemeyer&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-6740785-9144057)

Are there books about collecting that you recommend?

HiNeighbor
09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
For those who have an interest in beer in New England, I would HIGHLY recommend this book (especially since I get one eighth of a nickel for every book sold since I'm the last guy on the list of authors...and boy is there a massive demand for this book...retirement here I come!).

In order to make it somewhat baseball related, here are a couple of fun beer and baseball scans. Included are a rare 1916 Boston Red Sox/Braves/Providence Greys celluloid schedule, a c. 1950 Narragansett License plate, a c. 1905 Red Star Ale scorekeeper, and a Gansett Sked from the fifties.

Greg

(collector of pre-1920s BoSox and RI Brewery Advertising)

stkmtimo
10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Good post. Just picked up Harry Rinker's book and Amazon says it should be here any day now. I'll let everyone know how it is.

Tim

slidekellyslide
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I went to my local library's annual book sale today at the state fair grounds and picked up about 60 basball related books....only about half of what I hauled in last year so I was a bit disappointed in the selection, but I did manage to grab an excellent book that as far as photography of vintage memorabilia is on par with Smithsonian Baseball....It is titled Treasures of the Baseball Hall of Fame by John Thorn. Here's a link to it at Amazon. I highly reccommend this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Baseball-Hall-Fame-National/dp/0375501436/sr=8-1/qid=1160094746/ref=sr_1_1/002-6327912-9790424?ie=UTF8&s=books

mjkm90
10-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I have that book as well. I do like it, but didn't find it as interesting from a memorabilia and collecting perspective.

I just check out Sixteen to Sixty that I mentioned earlier...scratch it off the list. It wasn't at all what I expected. It's primarily about a very wealthy art collector. Far too sophisticated for a smelly leather, stained jersey, and cigar lovers like us...ha ha.

stkmtimo
10-05-2006, 09:35 PM
"How to Think Like a Collector" arrived yesterday and it looks like a good read. I'll post my thoughts on it when I finish reading it.

Tim

slidekellyslide
10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey Mike, maybe it's not as interesting from a collector's viewpoint because none of us will ever get our greedy little hands on any of the stuff pictured since it resides in the Hall of Fame. :D

mjkm90
10-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Good point. I think the hall has enough material, in fact, more material than they will ever need. I hope what is out there keeps circulating through collectors hands. The book was good, just a little over the top from a writting perspective. I wish more books focused on the collectors, material in the collections, and collecting in general rather than the history of the game. Don't get me wrong, I love the history of the game, but there is no shortage of material that covers it. I want to see someone do a book like Smithsonian Baseball that takes a more in depth look at the baseball rooms of the top collectors. It would tell the stories behind the evolution of the collection and some war stories on how things came to them, perspectives on the hobby, etc.

slidekellyslide
10-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree. Smithsonian Baseball is the best out there, but I was disappointed that we didn't really get to see how these folks have their collections displayed. Who wouldn't want to see Rob Lifson's collection room?

mjkm90
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
How cool would it be to get a video tour and sit down discussion on collecting with Rob L, Mastro, and others. I loved the Mastro section of Smithsonian and wish the rest were similar. That being said, maybe these guys don't want joe-collector to see the goods. How about M. Fogel's bat vault?

slidekellyslide
10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I've seen Bill Mastro's collection room on one of the cable antiques shows. Plus I've seen his office in person when I went out to Chicago last year to investigate the famed DiMaggio streak bat found by Tommy Henrich. It was right before one of their auctions and the whole building was filled with unbelievable memorabilia just stacked anywhere and everywhere. Not nearly as organized as one would have imagined.

mjkm90
10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Do you have a tape of that episode?:eek:

slidekellyslide
10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
I have it saved on my DVR, but I don't have a VCR anymore so I can't tape it....not even sure if you can even record DVR'ed TV??? Anyway the show was called "The Incurable Collector" and featured John Larroquette who would go around the country featuring collectors, auctions, antique shows and flea markets. I just checked my DVR Guide and the show is no longer on Time Warner cable. The only other time baseball was featured on the show was when the uncut/advertising Old Judge cards were shown...no story on them, just a little blurb about how much they sold for in a Mastro auction. There was one time when Larroquette was shown inside an antique shop surrounded by old gloves and baseball equipment, but he never mentions the items.

mjkm90
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Wooo, your freaking me out with all you hip young lingo. The DVwhatee? Well...I guess you just going to have to invite me and the rest of the boys over to watch it on the big screen. I'll bring the Corona and Joe K. will bring the wings. See you around 8:00 p.m. tonight!!!

slidekellyslide
10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Well I'll be at work tonight but I'm sure my wife won't mind. :D Joe may have seen it already though because both Aaron M and I have given out a heads up when this episode was set to air in the past.

suave1477
10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
One of the best underrated books i found and HIGHLY HIGHLY SUGGEST TO GET!!!
"The Timeline History of Baseball" by Don Jensen
It is a greatbook about all of baseball including Items that we collect.
It give exact details to the history of baseball the origin of the items from the Lemon Peel ball to Every Baseball Record stat there is.
Again I highly reccomend

Here is a link to it on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Timeline-History-Baseball-Don-Jensen/dp/1403967687/sr=1-4/qid=1160266587/ref=sr_1_4/102-8417152-9066529?ie=UTF8&s=books

My next favorite is
"Now Batting, Number....." by Jack Looney
Great insight on players, there Jerseys, and of course there Jersey Numbers

Here is the link on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Batting-Number-Superstition-Baseballs/dp/1579125751

My next favorite as it may not exactly apply to the Game Used hobby but still a great read.
"My favorite Summer 1956" by Mickey Mantle Autobiography.
Not only does it give great info on The Mick but also the events taking place around him, Definitely a great read and worth picking up.

Here is the Amazon Link.
http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Summer-1956-Mickey-Mantle/dp/187937109X

HAPPY READING!!!

vintagesportscollector
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately I haven't seen the Incurable Collector episode with Bill Mastro's collection either. I remember Dan and Aarron putting out the reminders, but I missed it (probably because I like to sleep in late on Sunday). But I'm always up for trip to Nebraska with a bucket of wings :). Got to make a trip to Carhenge too while i'm there, and I think I'll bring a couple of "Corn Heads" back for the kids.

This reminds me - I haven't popped in my tape of the Halper Collection in quite a while - I think I'll do that one of these evenings.

slidekellyslide
10-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I didn't think anyone outside of Nebraska had ever heard of carhenge. :D My wife and I stopped there once on our way to the Black Hills...at the time I had a camera that could take panoramic photos and I got a great shot of the whole thing. Cornheads can be found on any corner near Memorial stadium on a home game Saturday.

PS. I didn't know there was a video of the Halper collection. How can I obtain one of those?

vintagesportscollector
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I used to have a coworker from Nebraska - I learned a lot about the state from her. :)

The Halper video was created on VHS in 1991. It's called "The Ultimate Baseball Memorabilia Collection". You can probably get a copy on ebay. It's about 45 minutes. It's good -not great. You get some good quick views of many items and displays, but they could have shown A LOT LOT more.

mjkm90
10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
I have that tape as well. It would have been much better had they let a group of rabid collectors like us direct it.