PDA

View Full Version : Two Roddy White 9/11 Jerseys?

legaleagle92481
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=9614

http://www.nflauction.nfl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=173380605&prmenbr=65664914&aunbr=173727315

What gives? Did Roddy wear two jerseys that day or is one of these not what its purported to be?

happyyoungster
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Interesting...
Why would the team bother removing the 911 patch?

nickacs
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Hmm, strange indeed. I was going to say that if it was any other '11 jersey other than the 9/11, I'd say that it's possible NFL Auctions had the wrong game date. Because the Ryan currently on NFL Auctions is a white one dated 10/9/11, yet the game was at home vs. GB in their red uniforms?! LOL..

But since it does have the 9/11 patch, I'm stumped.. There's hardly any distinctive markings on the jersey to easily photomatch, as I've tried that on the "usual" photo sites. I always did find it odd that all the 9/11 jerseys JO ever got in have the patch removed. Wonder why that is?

bballzs14
01-05-2012, 11:31 PM
But since it does have the 9/11 patch, I'm stumped.. There's hardly any distinctive markings on the jersey to easily photomatch, as I've tried that on the "usual" photo sites. I always did find it odd that all the 9/11 jerseys JO ever got in have the patch removed. Wonder why that is?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was a requirement by the NFL that JO remove the patches because the 9/11 jerseys were auctioned off for charity and they didn't want any confusion or mis representation of the proceeds.

short84
01-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Could he have worn 2 jerseys -- one if the first half and another one in the second half?

Also, am I correct to assume the patches were sewn on? If so, with the proper lighting and magnification, you should be able to see the holes left from the needle where the stitches were. I think it would be very difficult to remove a patch without leaving some sort of evidence behind. I once had a 1994 jersey (year of the 75th anniversary) that had the patch removed. Who ever removed it did a very good job (there were no snags in the fabric and no threads left) but I could still see the faint outline of where the patch had been. I also have a Russell brand jersey where the "R" logo on the sleeves were removed and they left a very faint impression in the fabric where they had been. When you use a seam ripper to remove stitches, there is always the chance you will accidentally snag the fabric underneath. Sometimes bits of thread are also left behind if the item has not been laundered.

perlman9
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
What is also interesting is one has the 2010 year tag, the NFL with 2011. I have seen NFL auction Issued 9/11 back-up jerseys (mainly from Steelers of course). Maybe NFL is actually an issued mistakenly listed as worn? I also remember reading that the patch had to be removed if the proceeds do not go to the 9/11 charity. Not sure how accurate that is but do remember reading that somewhere and that was why the 9/11 JO jerseys do not contain the patch.

solarlottry
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
If the patch as removed the outline should be present. "short84" is absolutely correct in that once a patch is removed the outline remains.

I have a # of 1994 49er gamers that originally had the patch sewn above the horizontal chest seam but for the season the patch was moved to below the seam. All of these jerseys show evidence of the old patch outline. For some it is NOT easy to see but, at the right angle and lighting, it can be seen.

I almost lost out on a perfectly good 1994 49er gamer because I thought that because the patch had been moved it was a fake. Luckily I checked others in my collection and there was evidence on many of the patch being moved.

Funny thing is that there is one jersey, worn by Ricky Watters, where the patch was NOT moved. His was the only jersey like that in the game played, as it must have been missed by the equipment manager. That is a shirt I would love to own!!!

It is quite possible that Roddy White wore 2 shirts for the game as it was a commemorative game and he may have given JO his word that he would give them his shirt after the first game. If that was the case then he would have to wear 2 as NFL Auctions wanted one as well.

From what I have heard, players were not told that their specific jerseys would be sold by NFL Auctions. Supposedly a 49er wanted to keep his jersey for his father but NFL Auctions wanted it and got it! Needless to say he was not happy! Additionally not all the jerseys from that game went to NFL Auctions and thus some may have been reused in later games.

When watching 49er games this season, I have noticed quite a few gamers with repairs and evidence of prior use. So the "one shirt for each game" policy may not be the case after all.

Both Vernon Davis and Aldon Smith wore away shirts that had huge repairs and Frank Gore also wore a home shirt with a nice hole one week and a repair int he same spot the next. Thus I would not be surprised if White wore 2 shirts in the 9-11 game.

One way to possibly find out would be to call both NFL Auctions and JO and ask what is up! Can't hurt and we might get an explanation out of the call.

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Dewey2007
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
If you look at JO's site it appears they have an individual contract with White this season. They have a jersey, cleats and gloves from one game and a jersey, cleats and a helmet from another. Probably a good chance he wore two jerseys in the 9/11 game and gave one of them to JO with the patch removed along with his cleats and gloves. Also if he requested to wear two jerseys for the game maybe they had to recycle one from 2010 to meet his request.

http://www.josportsco.com/search_results.asp?NewSearch=True&Search=roddy

legaleagle92481
01-07-2012, 02:26 AM
My concern is that the NFL Auctions jersey is just issued it looks very clean to me for a white jersey. It would not be the first time they have done that.

legaleagle92481
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Hmm, strange indeed. I was going to say that if it was any other '11 jersey other than the 9/11, I'd say that it's possible NFL Auctions had the wrong game date. Because the Ryan currently on NFL Auctions is a white one dated 10/9/11, yet the game was at home vs. GB in their red uniforms?! LOL..

But since it does have the 9/11 patch, I'm stumped.. There's hardly any distinctive markings on the jersey to easily photomatch, as I've tried that on the "usual" photo sites. I always did find it odd that all the 9/11 jerseys JO ever got in have the patch removed. Wonder why that is?

The Ryan appears to be from 10/2 against Seattle. It was auctioned about a month ago on there and the buyer likely failed to pay for it necessitating a re-auctioning as happens frequently on there.

BrianK
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm definitely in the camp of "he wore multiple jerseys". To my eye, the placement of the patch is slightly different in these two photos. And for sure he wore multiple pair of gloves and shoes.

legaleagle92481
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm definitely in the camp of "he wore multiple jerseys". To my eye, the placement of the patch is slightly different in these two photos. And for sure he wore multiple pair of gloves and shoes.

I agree with you. Who knows how many he wore it could have been several. Emmitt Smith used to do stuff like that in important games he would wear a bunch of jerseys so they would all be game worn and Favre did that as well (he wore one per half)