PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Mariners 2012 FanFest Official Thread!

frikativ54
01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I wanted to make a Mariners FanFest thread, so that we can meet some of the other Seattle-area collectors. January 28 and 29 are the dates of this year's program, and Michael Pineda and Mike Carp are going to be there, among others. I've gone like three of the past four years and have always had a blast. Hope to see some of you there as well.

-Frik

frikativ54
01-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, FanFest is almost here; it's this weekend. I would like to meet up with some fellow GUU members and talk game used. I know MarinersFan34 will be there, but is anyone else planning to attend?

-Frik

xpress34
01-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Les -

You've seen my Rockies Fest thread... you know the standard that you have to meet now... ;)

All the best -

Smitty

jetersbatboy
01-26-2012, 01:48 AM
I wanted to make a Mariners FanFest thread, so that we can meet some of the other Seattle-area collectors. January 28 and 29 are the dates of this year's program, and Michael Pineda and Mike Carp are going to be there, among others.

Pineda, is now in the Bronxs!:D

If anyone goes I'd appreciate it if you keep a eye out for Brandon League bat! I'd be willing to pay for your time, if one is to be had.

MarinersFan34
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Pineda, is now in the Bronxs!:D

If anyone goes I'd appreciate it if you keep a eye out for Brandon League bat! I'd be willing to pay for your time, if one is to be had.

That's ok.. we got Montero! :D

I'd be surprised actually if Brandon had bats made but stranger things have happened, has he had an official AB yet?

I will be there both days, though the bar has been set high by Smitty :cool:

xpress34
01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

:cool:

I'm a 4th year veteran of Rockies Fest (since it's inception)... it does make it easier to plan your attack well in advance as well as understanding how the autograph lines work - biggest thing is to be well connected (texting or calling) between friends about who is signing where to try and help each other out since all the autographs at Rockies Fest are blind draw.

So far though you guys have a few people from here that will be attending, so I'm expecting to see a lot of coverage... I was a one man show at Rockies Fest as far as coverage for the board... :p

- Smitty

frikativ54
01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
You've seen my Rockies Fest thread... you know the standard that you have to meet now... ;)

Haha, Smitty. I'm just going for one day and getting my Casper Wells helmet signed, but I'm sure Jeremy's up to the task. He's the big M's collector here. :D

MarinersFan34
01-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been going to FanFest for awhile, this will be my 9th one. I've got the autographs down and the strategies as best as one can do with how the M's have it set up. I just don't go crazy with the pictures, in fact I don't take many at all.

frikativ54
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I've been going to FanFest for awhile, this will be my 9th one. I've got the autographs down and the strategies as best as one can do with how the M's have it set up. I just don't go crazy with the pictures, in fact I don't take many at all.

I'll take some photos, no doubt. I can post them here. I'm just not going crazy as far as autos are concerned; I hate the long lines.

rwoodsbats
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Jeremy,
Are you going both days? If so let me know and maybe we can meet up and BS.

MarinersFan34
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Yea, I will be there both days. I probably won't go after too many autos this year but I'll get a few and have time for the other things going on. Always good to head over to Pyramid after for a pitcher of beer and some good eats.

5toolplayer
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
That's ok.. we got Montero! :D

I'd be surprised actually if Brandon had bats made but stranger things have happened, has he had an official AB yet?

I think we are going to become very good friends this year sir. Montero is my guy! I'm going to do everything I can to scoop up his G/U stuff and hopefully I'll have you are my eyes and ears ;) Check out my other Montero threads to see my collection. You are going to love that kid!

Is he going to wear 21 this year?

MarinersFan34
01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
He is going to wear #63 and stated today that he will stick with it. It was the number he was given by the Yankees and it seemed that he has an emotional attachment to it because of that.

Perhaps he's not too thrilled to be in Seattle, but I can't blame the guy if that's the case, we haven't had a solid hitting team in at least 5 years.

I can only hope he lives up to the hype but if he falters here, you know the Yankees will pay up for him and he'll hit again. I have no idea what he's capable of since I'm not a Yankee fan of course nor do I follow the prospects. If he hits, I'll like him, if not.. he might as well be Ben Davis.

I will be at a large number of games this year, so I've always got my eyes looking for stuff as it comes in. I'm sure we'll be in touch throughout the year as things trickle in.

5toolplayer
01-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Yuck. #63 is such a terrible number. he wore 83 all of his spring training games so when he got called up he took 63. I have no idea why. Last spring when he thought he was going to break camp with NY he talked about wearing 21 and hoped O'neill wouldn't mind. But i can live with 63 I guess.

Keep me posted sir. i would love to get a few of his gamers throughout the year plus bats, cleats, or whatever is available ;) Thanks again and I'll be in touch. My email is below

LastingsMilledge85
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Yuck. #63 is such a terrible number. he wore 83 all of his spring training games so when he got called up he took 63. I have no idea why. Last spring when he thought he was going to break camp with NY he talked about wearing 21 and hoped O'neill wouldn't mind. But i can live with 63 I guess.

Keep me posted sir. i would love to get a few of his gamers throughout the year plus bats, cleats, or whatever is available ;) Thanks again and I'll be in touch. My email is below

When you are a September call-up and especially on the Yankees (with a lack of numbers as is because so many are retired or untouched) you don't get to chose your number, they assign you a number. I'm surprised he didn't switch in Seattle, but he can't take 21 from Gutierrez yet since he has yet to establish himself and is not named Bryce Harper.

MarinersFan34
01-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Yea, just like when Felix first came up, #34 was being used by Bryan Price, the pitching coach so he got #59.

They posted up the autograph schedule a day early!? The team is learning how to run things better, it only took them 10+ years but it's a step in the right direction.

If you're gonna be there and want to meet up, send me a pm here or email jeremy_421 at Yahoo with your #.

5toolplayer
01-28-2012, 12:48 AM
M'sFan34

Did Jesus say anything during the conference call about keeping #63? Keep me posted on anything g/u Montero that comes up. I'll be in Baghdad until at least Aug.

primeradriver
01-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Any of you guys go to the Montero (and others) meet and greet at the Alderwood Team Store tonight?

MarinersFan34
01-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Yea, I was at the Alderwood M's Caravan signing. I got Montero and Hultzen for my collection and some Carp stuff signed for a forum member.

Aside from the team store manager being a douchebag the signing went pretty smooth and Montero was nice and was asking about peoples preference for auto placement on baseballs, something most players won't do at least from my experience. Overall, it was still a good singing and I got some new ones for the collection.

primeradriver
01-28-2012, 03:43 AM
My friend sent me a pic of the line. Crazy.

I'm going to FF on Sunday. If any of you are attending Saturday and happen to see any memorabilia from the M's x Sonics game please let me know.

frikativ54
01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I just came back from Seattle Mariners FanFest. This year, season ticket holders got in an hour early, which meant that some items were gone before I could get in. However, Jeremy, being one of the nicest guys on the forum, grabbed some Smoak stuff, so I wouldn't miss out. I came home with two Smoak caps, a navy and a red, white, and blue. They will go well with my two Justin Smoak game used jerseys, my road alternate, the only one he wore all year, and my road grey, one of a few he wore in 2011.

I got to the gates nearly two hours early, so I could get a voucher for the Jesus Montero - Casper Wells dual signing. I got a black full size bat signed by Montero with my silver paint pen, as well as my game used helmet autographed by Casper Wells. The guy who was running the signing said, "Oh, it's your helmet." Casper said and repeated twice as he examined what was clearly his helmet, "It's not my helmet. I don't throw my helmets." I got a good laugh out of that one. :D

As for other stuff I bought, I got a couple of Mike Carp hats, one from the 4th of July and one that he wore all season. The one he wore for all of 2011 showed good use. In addition, I bought a Brandon League 4th of July cap. In all, it was a great day, and I got to hang out with Jeremy, a forum member named Chris, and some others. When my hands aren't nearly as full of game used stuff tomorrow, I'm going to take more photographs.

Below are some pictures:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Casper-Montero.jpg

Casper Wells helmet with Jesus Monter bat

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Casper-1.jpg

Casper Wells helmet

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Halman-1.jpg

Greg Halman game used memorial display

yanks12025
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Les,

Were the chambliss jerseys still there or anything new?

frikativ54
01-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Les,

I didn't look for the Chambliss jerseys specifically, but I didn't see anything new. All of the jerseys were discounted, and things looked pretty well-picked over by the time I left during the two o'clock hour. They still could be there. I was just so focused on hats and Smoak stuff that I wasn't thinking about too much else.

BurlesonBlue
01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I didn't look for the Chambliss jerseys specifically, but I didn't see anything new. All of the jerseys were discounted, and things looked pretty well-picked over by the time I left during the two o'clock hour. They still could be there. I was just so focused on hats and Smoak stuff that I wasn't thinking about too much else.

Most definitely. With jerseys from the team store marked down at half-off, I couldn't help but pick up a 2004 "team-issued" but clearly game used Cha Seung Baek jersey. The Mariners Care Garage Sale had some pretty good items as well, including $50 "Los Marineros" Salute to Latin Baseball Day jerseys, but those were all picked over by the time I made it over there.

BurlesonBlue
01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Most definitely. With jerseys from the team store marked down at half-off, I couldn't help but pick up a 2004 "team-issued" but clearly game used Cha Seung Baek jersey. The Mariners Care Garage Sale had some pretty good items as well, including $50 "Los Marineros" Salute to Latin Baseball Day jerseys, but those were all picked over by the time I made it over there.

And actually, upon review of the lone picture I could find from Baek's major league debut, it's a style match, with the front Seattle lettering matching up. While this doesn't prove it's from that game, it doesn't rule out the possibility that I now own Baek's Major League Debut jersey!

Klattsy
01-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Wasn't any old Ryan Rowland Smith's or Chris Snelling gear lying around was there?

chakes89
01-29-2012, 03:01 AM
I know it might be a bit of a stretch but was there any Chris Reitsma stuff?

frikativ54
01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Wasn't any old Ryan Rowland Smith's or Chris Snelling gear lying around was there?

Sorry; there weren't any that I noticed.

frikativ54
01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I know it might be a bit of a stretch but was there any Chris Reitsma stuff?

Nope. I wish I could say that I saw some, but I didn't.

-Frik

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Day two was by far my favorite of Mariners FanFest. I got in line over two hours before the gates opened, so I had my pick of autograph sessions. I ended up getting Danny Hultzen and Taijuan Walker to sign baseballs. Also, I picked up what I thought were two Trayvon Robinson caps, along with a Blake Beavan 4th of July hat that I had overlooked the day before.

Right after I bought them, I walked past the Social Media Table, and who was there but Trayvon himself. The guy in front of me asked if he could get a picture with his son and Robinson, so I made the same request for a photo with the M's rookie. He gladly obliged, and now I have two photos of me and Trayvon together. After that experience, I walked over to the M's Team Store booth, where I purchased a teal Robinson rookie jersey that was MLB authenticated to a couple of games last fall. It was 30 percent off.

After I took some pictures, I went over to the Dan Wilson autograph signing. While he was never my favorite Mariner, my brother in New York wanted an autographed baseball, so I obliged. I got the very last ticket for the Wilson autograph signing, which went well. Then, I headed back over to the Mariners game used booth, where stuff was getting marked down quickly. They even had a "buy one, get one half off" jersey sale. I could have spent a lot more money on jerseys, but since the M's are not my collecting focus, I settled for one jersey, along with all the hats I had accumulated.

As I was at the table, I realized that the two hats I had bought earlier could have either been Trayvon's or Ryan Langerhans's. While I hoped they were of the former, both wore number 12 during different portions of the season. Upon further inspection, both had the same handwriting underneath and both were size 7 1/8, so I am assuming I got two caps of the same player. Unfortunately, neither hologram is listed yet in the MLB authentication database, so I don't know whose hats I have. Kind of frustrating.

During the whole event, players, staff, and fans were friendly and courteous. People were more than willing to snap photographs for me, since I spent most of Sunday alone. Players were very amenable to signing with whatever pen I wanted and on the sweet spot, if I so desired. I didn't have to worry about sharpie autographs, nor about athletes being rude and fan unfriendly. Prices for game used stuff were quite fair, and I ended up taking home hats from several young Mariners. I figure that if a few pan out, I will have some nice pieces. I couldn't have been happier with the way things went.

I will post more pictures later and would love to read other stories about M's FanFest.

-Frik

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Les,

There were a few Chambliss jerseys, which were marked down to $87.50. With the "Buy One, Get One Half Off" sale, I think you could have had two shirts for roughly $130. You should check to see if the promotion is still on, if you are still interested in purchasing the Chambliss jerseys.

On an unrelated note, toward the end of the day, I was cringing by the 4th of July hats. This guy was trying on an actual game used cap and was bending the bill to make it more comfortable for him. I didn't see whose hat it was, but he ended up not purchasing it. :eek:

kcgranola
01-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Good Morning

I had a great time with you and Jeremy at fanfest this year love my Trayvon Jersey as well.

89ASMVPBats
01-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Anyone pick up any Aaron Laffey items? If so, please email me at drewgetty@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Drew

MarinersFan34
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
I did look at the Laffey teal jersey and it didn't seem to be used much even though it was listed as GU, I think you probably got the better one.

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Good Morning

I had a great time with you and Jeremy at fanfest this year love my Trayvon Jersey as well.

Thank you, Chris. I enjoyed meeting you at FanFest as well. Is your teal Trayvon jersey a cool base? Mine's a knit. The Robinson jersey I bought from the game used rack was certified to a couple of games, one being Trayvon's debut at Safeco on August 12. He has a great story, and I'm looking for big things from him this year. Below are a couple of pictures of my jersey:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DSC_1047.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DSC_1045.jpg

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Here are some autograph signings:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Hultzen-Walker.jpg

Danny Hultzen and Taijuan Walker

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Wilson.jpg

Dan Wilson

frikativ54
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Here are a couple pics of me: