PDA

View Full Version : World Series Team Sets

flota89
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
I've recently added a few 2011 bats from the World Champion Cardinals and it got me thinking ... who do I include in the set?

Do those of you who collect team sets only collect those who played in the World Series/playoffs or anyone who spent time with the team in the year?

Looking forward to hearing some responses.

-Tyler

erstad-collector
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
I just collected the starters from the 2002 Anaheim Angels World Series Championship team. My bats aren't all from the actual World Series year though. I have Scott Spiezio, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Troy Glaus, Brad Fullmer, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, and Tim Salmon. I still need to get a Bengie Molina game-used bat though to complete the set.

The only one I know was used in the 2002 postseason is a game-used Darin Erstad World Series bat as shown below:

http://www.robrohm.com/game_used/Erstad_2002_WS_bat.jpg

flota89
01-10-2012, 07:46 AM
I just collected the starters from the 2002 Anaheim Angels World Series Championship team. My bats aren't all from the actual World Series year though. I have Scott Spiezio, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Troy Glaus, Brad Fullmer, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, and Tim Salmon. I still need to get a Bengie Molina game-used bat though to complete the set.

The only one I know was used in the 2002 postseason is a game-used Darin Erstad World Series bat as shown below:

Nice bat! Did you try for pitchers at all for your set?

solarlottry
01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Not to change the subject but similarly to the baseball collectors, I am trying to complete the starting lineup for the 1994 SF 49ers. This includes offense, defense and special teams. This adds up to 25 players.

I have been actively trying to complete this collection for at least 5 years and at this point am only missing 3 players:
Lee Woodall
Derrick Deese
Dennis Brown

I am only considering gamers from the 1994 season to complete the collection. It has not been easy finding some of these shirts as the lineman and kickers were tough to find.

I am sure this is the case when attempting to put together a WS collection. I have seen some amazing collections on the GUU forum and wish my fellow collectors luck in completing their team sets!

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

chicagoglen
01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I collected a bat from all 21 position players on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team. When that was complete I started on the 4 starting pitchers and Bobby Jenks.

Still need Freddy Garcia and Jenks.

Will post some pictures later.

Birdbats
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
When I started doing team sets, I focused on position players with at least 100 ABs, starting pitchers and the closer. Once I had all those, I'd move on to grab any bat of any player who was with the team at any point during the season. So, kind of a two-step approach -- get the key guys, then expand. You'll go nuts trying to get everyone, so he helps to focus on key guys. 100 ABs is just a random number, but it does seem to be a good dividing line between key players and role players.

flota89
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Everyone has some good points. I really like the 100 AB as a start.

I'm looking forward to hearing some other responses as well as seeing any photos!

Jags Fan Dan
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
For my 1990 Reds collection, I am working on position players only, and only those on the post season roster.

TFig27
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Here's my set of 2009 Yankees bats:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=40634

I collected every position player that was on the 2009 roster any time throughout the season. The majority of them are from 2009. I add some of the pitchers as I come across them.

Nnunnari
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Awesome Ersty bat!

01-13-2012, 04:36 AM
I collect anybody that spent any time with the team during the year, including all coaches and the manager. Of course, we only have one World Series, the 2002 Angels. The bats don't have to be from that exact season, although many of them are from 2002. I have all the position players, the manager Mike Scioscia, and bats from all the coaches except Bud Black (not sure if he had a bat). I also have several of the pitchers, although it is not clear if some of the relief pitchers especially ever had bats. I did the same with jerseys from the 2002 Angels, and did get jerseys from all the players during the season, even if only one appearance, the coaches and the manager.

When my Angels collapsed in 1986, I thought that might be the closest we would ever get to the World Series, so I collected a complete set of bats of all the position players who played that year, plus the coaches who had bats and the manager, Gene Mauch. I was able to get jerseys of the entire post season roster including the manager and coaches, and also picked up jerseys of all other players who appeared even once during 1986 except for two pitchers who had very brief cameo appearances during the season.

Tom

Masimen
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I collect position players from 98-00 Yankees. The bats must be year appropriate. I am 2 players short of all of them. It is tough because there were a few guys who played in just a handfull of games.

metsbats
01-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I try to stick to the players who were on the roster for the postseason.

I've been trying to complete my 2000 Mets GU bat set since 2000. I've gotten all the starting position players and pitchers and all relief pitchers except Bobby M. Jones.

However if I see some obsure players from the 2000 team like Eric Cammack or Jorge Toca I'll try to pick them up as a bonus piece.

For the 86 Mets GU bat set I started looking in 1992 and it took me over 12 years to complete just the starting position players, pitchers and relief pitchers on the postseason roster. Now I'm in the mode of picking up guys who were not on the PS roster as a bonus. Guys like George Foster, Stan Jefferson, Corcoran etc. At this point all I need is Ed Lynch to complete the entire Mets 86 team.

I try to get a bat from the 86 or 2000 season or at least make sure it's a Mets bat but it's not always possible. For example my Tim Corcoran bat is from his time with the Twins.

David