PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen this tag?

beantown
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone know what the "FX" wound stand for on a football jersey?

lon lewis
09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
the portion of the tag you refer to is a date of manufacture code. in this case october 1993

CollectGU
09-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Lon,

Welcome to the board. For those on here who don't know you or haven't heard of you can you tell us a little bit about your expertise and your background. I am sure your knowledge can help alot of us with game worn jerseys...

Dave

lon lewis
09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
collect gu
here's the short version. collector of game used uni's 1978-1998
sf giants asst equipment mgr 1985-1986, sf49ers clubhouse worker
1985-1990, jersey restoratons starting with my own in 1982 and for other people and dealers since 1987 a service that continues today. also had a very short stint as an authenticator for AMI. my primary focus has always been the sf giants and 49ers. in some places i have been referred to as an "expert" but i have never been comfortable with that term. hope this answers your question.

RKGIBSON
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Lon,

Would you have other month and year letter designations?

Are the month designations the same in all years?

Thanks,
Roger

kingjammy24
09-29-2006, 10:55 PM
lon,

i have several wilson baseball jerseys which bear similar codes. one that i'm looking at now says "gw". can you tell us how to decode these codes?
what about "fx" says oct 93?

thanks,

rudy.

Eric
09-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Lon-

Welcome to the forum!! Glad to have someone with your experience.
Eric

beantown
09-30-2006, 11:20 AM
the portion of the tag you refer to is a date of manufacture code. in this case october 1993

Lon,

Can you elaborate on how you've determined this to be from October 1993? Especially since Montana was not with the team is 1993?

lon lewis
09-30-2006, 01:50 PM
i was concerned prior to my post about the wilson code that i may be opening a huge can of worms regarding the dating of some items. but here goes,the first letter designates the year, the second the month.I first noticed this "code" on some early 90's nfl jerseys but like most people i incorrectly assumed it was some sort of "inspected by" tag. but curiosity got the better of me and i contacted a couple of nfl equipment people whose teams were using wilson jerseys,they in turn asked their reps about it.the answer was the same "date code" however, the significance of the letters was not disclosed. it wasn't untill i started seeing large groups of jerseys from the same seasons that i was able to start piecing together the year part. the month part was provided to me by an advanced collector who had also researched this through a wilson rep. this "code" also works on wilson jackets and hats in some cases going back to the 60's.in the interest of time i will close out this post and those of you who have specific questions can email me at shadowsdad@wordnet.att.net if you haven't recieved a response within 24hrs please try again i have been having server problems lately and somtimes the mail doesn't work properly.

RKGIBSON
09-30-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't think it opens a can of worms at all. It is valuable information on the authenticity and a definite way to determine the time a Wilson jersey was manufactured.

In my business, auto restoration, date coding of parts is a valuable part of authenticity. Many items use a letter designation system to represent month/year. Many times this information is guarded and kept from the public because it makes items made out of the time frame of originality worth more money, such as a Montana jersey made in October of 93. I applaud you for putting your knowledge out there and teaching me something I did not know. I personally am going to try to find out how this date code system works.

This is a reason that I come to this forum daily, to learn something about my hobby that gives me so much enjoyment.

Roger

lon lewis
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
this is for kingjammy24 i realize that i forgot to address your GW question yesterday. assuming that its a 90's jersey gw would work out to be sept of 1994

RKGIBSON
10-01-2006, 10:33 PM
I only collect football jerseys. I checked all my Wilson jerseys. I have always been a 49er fan so I have quite a few with 49er certs. I have several others from the Seahawks and Colts that I am sure of the year and or the game they were used in. My findings are as follows:
1- 89 BV used 9-10-89
1- 89 BU
1- 92 EW
1- 93 FU used 1-23-94
1- 93 FW
1- 93 FY used 12-5-93
1- 94 G? (second letter not readable)
1- 95 FV used 12-10-95
several 95 with the silk size flag instead of the vinyl

From this my guess is: 88=A 89=B 90=C 91=D 92=E 93=F 94=G

The months run from the back of the alphabet:
Dec=Z Nov=Y Oct=X -etc to- O =Jan

Roger

ChrisCavalier
10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
this is for kingjammy24 i realize that i forgot to address your GW question yesterday. assuming that its a 90's jersey gw would work out to be sept of 1994
Hello Lon,

I would like to echo the comments made by a few people already that we are really happy to have you as part of the forum. While we have never met, I have heard your name mentioned a few times by people I know and the comments associated with you were very positive. I think we all look forward to learning from any contributions you can make here.

In addition, I think Roger (RKGIBSON) also deserves a thanks for the additional information he has posted in an attempt to figure out what Dan Brown might call "The Wilson Code". It's really great to see members taking the time to help each other.

In fact, thanks to everybody on the forum for all you are doing to improve the hobby for everyone.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

kingjammy24
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
lon,

can you confirm if roger's table is consistent with your understanding of the wilson codes?

an email sent to the address you provided was bounced back as the "domain could not be found". is it wordnet.att.com or worldnet.att.com ?
if you could please email me at petrucious2000@yahoo.com to discuss these wilson codes it would be appreciated.

if the codes date back decades, then what's the code for 1987 if 1988 is represented by "A"?

thanks,

rudy.

lon lewis
10-02-2006, 01:50 PM
congratulations to rkgibson for figuring this out on your own i was hoping someone would. as you can see the year designators starting with A for an 8 year and ending with K for a 7 year run in a 10 year cycle the months start with O for january and run for a 12 letter cycle endin with Z for december. there is an inconsistency that i have run into in that the 1994 nfl jerseys sometimes have a GN designation the N portion doesn't code out. i have a theory about that but untill it can be proven it will remain just that a theory. another note about this code is that jerseys will not always have those tags located like the original post photo. sometimes the tag will be an extra tag behind the size tag, sometimes the code will be on the back of the washing instructions sewn to an inside seam, or it can be located on the back of a wilson collar tag. just another one of those consistent inconsistencies.

Eric
10-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Fantastic info. Thanks to all of you.
Eric

kudu
12-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Would this be considered a Wilson authentic tag or gamer tag:

Also, the letters below the 52 say FY, yet the inside wash tag says FP. Are they suppose to be the same letters or do the inside tag letters refer to something else? Thanks for the help.

sox83cubs84
12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Would this be considered a Wilson authentic tag or gamer tag:

Also, the letters below the 52 say FY, yet the inside wash tag says FP. Are they suppose to be the same letters or do the inside tag letters refer to something else? Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure how to explain 2 different date codes, but keep in mind that, to my knowledge. the ProLine tags were never affixed to game used/issued Wilson football jerseys.

Dave Miedema

kudu
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure how to explain 2 different date codes, but keep in mind that, to my knowledge. the ProLine tags were never affixed to game used/issued Wilson football jerseys.

Dave Miedema

OK thanks Dave. I'm thinking it is an authentic as well, but was perplexed with the two different date codes.